How do people with no gap yr get 3~4k+ hours of research??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toastybaker

Reaction score
I'm going to be starting working a inorg lab from this summer as part of the starting members (cuz my prof is new this yr), but even if I assume 400 hours/summer for 2 summers and 800 hours for 2 academic years, that's still only 1600 hours. I've seen that applicants who are research focused will have 3000~4000 hours and multiple publications, so I was wondering how that's possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be starting working a inorg lab from this summer as part of the starting members (cuz my prof is new this yr), but even if I assume 400 hours/summer for 2 summers and 800 hours for 2 academic years, that's still only 1600 hours. I've seen that applicants who are research focused will have 3000~4000 hours and multiple publications, so I was wondering how that's possible.
My school interviews a lot of people with impressive research backgrounds, and most interviewees at my school do not have 3k+ research hours. Many applicants dedicate a significant amount of their time during the school year doing research (e.g. a part time role). Also, don't trust everything you read on the Internet. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 5 users
Some might be exaggerating a bit, but I do see and know undergrads who basically work full-time jobs or more throughout the academic year at labs. One of my buddies isn't premed, but works till midnight most days in his lab. Though he doesn't have to worry about volunteering and such, his other responsibilities definitely still suffer. He doesn't really contribute that much to our group projects outside of class since he's so focused on his research. I imagine it's a similar story for premeds that grind research and have to find time for other ECs. You only have so much time and something has to give (most likely social life or sleep).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Washing dishes takes a lot of time. Who knows if they are doing "research..." Stay focused on your own journey.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

People lie. The question for you is if you're going to play the same game or not.

Reactions: 2 users
Comparison is the thief of joy. Research with gusto and humility and record your hours honestly. People are usually seen for who they are--even by adcoms.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't compare yourself to "others."

Also realize that it's not just the hours that count, even if they're being counted. What did the student researcher learn? What did s/he contribute? What difference did the experience make to them or to others? Finally, realize that unless you want to go into research, you don't need research to get into many medical schools.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was definitely shocked too and I read somewhere in the replies in this thread that some people do lie, which does make sense at this point. That being said is there a riddle is there a way that medical schools actually are able to verify your activity hours or research hours because 3000 seems like a lot.

Yeah, I was definitely shocked too and I read somewhere in the replies in this thread that some people do lie, which does make sense at this point. That being said is there a riddle is there a way that medical schools actually are able to verify your activity hours or research hours because 3000 seems like a lot.
1000 hours per year is a rule-of-thumb for half-time jobs (20 hours a week for 50 hours). 2000 hours is full time work. 3000 thus is 60 hours per week for a year, or appropriate adjustments. There is an expectation that someone should have done something with 3 years of half-time work, or 1.5 years of full-time work. How one describes what they did in the lab is a good tip-off. Good for them if they have multiple publications; many graduate students will be extremely jealous.

Analogy: if you like the cooking competition shows, more is expected of you if you have 40 minutes to make one dish than 30 minutes. See "Alex vs. America."

Reactions: 1 users
Not everyone lies. 3-4K hours of research is definitely doable in undergrad. I had around that amount bc research was prob 30hrs a week for me including weekends for 3.5 years. It is definitely possible. Obvi it take a toll on other aspects. My non-clinical volunteering was very low, but it worked out fine so just shape your application to your interests/strengths and you'll be good.

Reactions: 3 users
I had around 4000 hrs of research by the time I finished undergrad. For me, research was a priority and I basically gave up most of my free time to do it (~20 hrs/wk + summers for all of undergrad). I'm not sure it was worth it in retrospect but I enjoyed it at least. That said, don't think that this amount is required at all. Most applicants don't even have a few hundred hours, let alone a few thousand. Social media impressions skew toward the extremes.

Reactions: 2 users
Not everyone lies. 3-4K hours of research is definitely doable in undergrad. I had around that amount bc research was prob 30hrs a week for me including weekends for 3.5 years. It is definitely possible. Obvi it take a toll on other aspects. My non-clinical volunteering was very low, but it worked out fine so just shape your application to your interests/strengths and you'll be good.
Thanks for the input. I just wasn't sure how to make up for lab hours during undergrad when I have classes everyday with little gaps in between. I'm taking 23 credits right now for my spring semester, and so the filled up schedule is probably my fault to begin with. That being said though, I recently got accepted to a new lab that has evening shifts, and so I'm definitely gonna take advantage of that

I had around 4000 hrs of research by the time I finished undergrad. For me, research was a priority and I basically gave up most of my free time to do it (~20 hrs/wk + summers for all of undergrad). I'm not sure it was worth it in retrospect but I enjoyed it at least. That said, don't think that this amount is required at all. Most applicants don't even have a few hundred hours, let alone a few thousand. Social media impressions skew toward the extremes.
True but it depends on what you're interested in. To me, research was my first priority. I didnt have that much non-clinical volunteering bc I was more interested in research. But it worked out so I think if you genuinely pursue your interests and passions you can dedicate your hours to whatever you want and be fine

Reactions: 1 users