How do RadOnc programs view military commitments during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MetalSlug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be an MI this fall and am currently very interested in pursuing a career in Radiation Oncology in the future. Due to financial concerns, I am contemplating doing an Army National Guard program for medical students (MDSSP) which would waive tuition for three years at my state school and provide a healthy stipend. If I did this program I would be able to match in civilian residencies unlike some other military medicine programs. However, there would be a commitment during residency, which is roughly 1-2 days per month of "drilling." I would have 0-3 years of reserve duty (depending on how many years I take the stipend) left after residency.

Do any of you know how RadOnc residency directors view/would view this sort of commitment? Would joining the National Guard hinder my chances to match in this competitive field, or other specialties that are not traditionally associated with the military?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i do not think it would hinder you. one of the graduates from my program last year was in a similar program as yourself, and he is now working off his obligation as a rad onc physician on a base in california. your work hours are not bad in rad onc, 1-2 days a month should not impact your performance and ability to learn. if you need week days off, you will have to work something out with your program. if those are weekend days, i don't think anyone will really care.