Other OT-Related Information How do school rankings actually work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you take school ranking into consideration when choosing a program?

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OThopeful97

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain how they determine the ranking for each OT school? I know that rankings might not matter all that much, but I'm still curious. Do they survey the current students at each school? And what aspects do they look at specifically?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please explain how they determine the ranking for each OT school? I know that rankings might not matter all that much, but I'm still curious. Do they survey the current students at each school? And what aspects do they look at specifically?

Thanks!

I heard that it has something to do with the amount of research, but I could be totally wrong. I was wondering the same thing.

On the US News and Report OT website, it states the following:

"Each school's score reflects its average rating on a scale from 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding), based on a survey of academics at peer institutions."

Members don't see this ad :)
On the US News and Report OT website, it states the following:

"Each school's score reflects its average rating on a scale from 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding), based on a survey of academics at peer institutions."
That would make more sense. It seems like maybe they are ranked based on how satisfied the students are with how the program is set up and how well it prepared them for the exam.

I saw that description on US News as well but it wasn't clear to me...they didn't give much detail lol. I know students that are very happy with their school however it's very low on the rankings list and vice versa...so I'm not sure what to make of it

I saw that description on US News as well but it wasn't clear to me...they didn't give much detail lol. I know students that are very happy with their school however it's very low on the rankings list and vice versa...so I'm not sure what to make of it

It's the people in OT Academia who do the voting. I think what they mean by "survey of academics at peer institutions" is that each program ranks every other program except their own. However, US News and Report does not specify on exactly what it is that they're voting for (i.e. curriculum, student NBCOT passing rate, student satisfaction, everyone of those, etc.), so I guess that's the question.

It's the people in OT Academia who do the voting. I think what they mean by "survey of academics at peer institutions" is that each program ranks every other program except their own. However, US News and Report does not specify on exactly what it is that they're voting for (i.e. curriculum, student NBCOT passing rate, student satisfaction, everyone of those, etc.), so I guess that's the question.

Hm that's interesting. Could be, but then I wonder how they could possibly know enough about each school to be able and rank them...

Hm that's interesting. Could be, but then I wonder how they could possibly know enough about each school to be able and rank them...

Which is something to think about when choosing a school (do not just go somewhere because it's ranked highly! Go somewhere because you click with the faculty and enjoy the curriculum). Maybe they look at the curriculum, fieldwork placement, passing rates - who knows! Since we're unsure of exactly what it is that's being measured, we'd be doing ourselves a disservice to disregard one program in favor of another just because they're ranked higher.

Last edited: