How do some applicants have so many publications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uaena123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've noticed, especially on some WAMCs, that some applicants have 2-3+ publications, oftentimes with first authorship in reputable journals. As a first year post-bac at the NIH working in a molecular biology lab, I've spent a good 6 months working on tasks that won't ultimately result in publication, and am lucky enough to now have my own project which my PI claims will eventually be publishable. From my knowledge, however, this will take at least one year and I currently don't even know what to expect from the writing and editing process (which looks very intense based on what I've observed from my senior coworkers). How exactly do part-time college students performing research amass so many high-end publications?

Also, how important are publications to medical school applications? I've heard they don't matter much at all as long as you can speak confidently and competently about your work.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, luck, or they work in clinical research labs that publish very quickly.

Reactions: 3 users
I know one of my peers has a ton of publications due to nepotism/connections to a lab that his dad works in. And then I know another one of my peers who has a couple pubs but who actually worked his ass off for them. So it’s prob a combo of both, and remember that quality > quantity, even when it comes to residency afaik

P.S. I got into 4 T20’s with zero publications, so it’s by no means necessary

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical research, especially retroactive studies using chart data, moves much faster than lab work.

Reactions: 4 users
Can confirm, luck.

Worked part-time in research all through college for several different labs. 1 poster, but no publications.

After graduation, I worked full-time in a clinical research lab. Got 1 publication in 5 years, and it wasn't even finished until after I started med school. I did get a couple of first author posters from analyzing bits and pieces of data from the large studies, though. There was an opportunity to turn a poster into a manuscript, but it would've had to be on my own time (which was already super limited).

The studies I worked on were mostly large, multi-site trials. If they gave everyone who worked on the studies authorship, the list of authors would be longer than the paper itself. However, they did add me to the acknowledgements of a high-profile JAMA paper. It counted for absolutely nothing in my med school applications (apart from a few interesting interview conversations), but still was one of the proudest moments of my gap years lol.

In my current med school lab, which is quite a bit smaller, I have gotten 2 publications and 2 posters in the previous 1.5 years, with another manuscript currently in progress.

FWIW, though, things worked out. I'm currently at one of the more research-oriented med schools. Sure, a publication would've probably looked pretty on my application, but I don't feel that my lack of pubs held me back in any significant way. If you have research experience that you can talk passionately about, that can still help you.

Reactions: 1 users
I know one of my peers has a ton of publications due to nepotism/connections to a lab that his dad works in. And then I know another one of my peers who has a couple pubs but who actually worked his ass off for them. So it’s prob a combo of both, and remember that quantity > quality, even when it comes to residency afaik

P.S. I got into 4 T20’s with zero publications, so it’s by no means necessary
FIFY. Unfortunately, academia is all about quantity, which is why we have so many useless publications. I would know as I've contributed my share to the dumpster fire for academic promotions and whatnot..

As an undergrad/medical student, getting pubs is a combination of luck, hard work, picking the right mentor(s), and/or connections. All else being equal, you are more likely to get a pub if you join a lab with a history of pumping out several+ papers per year (and including trainees in the author list) compared to joining a lab known to only write 1 or 2 meaningful pubs every few years.

However, you do not need a pub to get into medical school (not even research-heavy schools!). Depending on the field and program, some residencies may be a little more picky. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I know one guy who has lot of papers in HS (56 as of today!) his dad is a researcher and put his name on the papers!. He is a premed but graduated 2 years back. I don’t know if he is medical school or not. My kid had one clinical pub from high school work (but published during UG). He had zero pubs during app cycle (but got 2 later, one first author and one middle author), but he got T5s with merit. His PI gave very strong LOR (mentioned by interviewers).

Reactions: 1 user