how do they know you're doing prelim?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
stupid question, I know. If applying to prelim IM programs how do you indicate that you're applying for a prelim spot instead of categorical spot? I haven't actually seen the application yet since it's not up, but it seems like you just apply to the program's IM residency... is there a place to specifically say "prelim year"?

Members don't see this ad.

stupid question, I know. If applying to prelim IM programs how do you indicate that you're applying for a prelim spot instead of categorical spot? I haven't actually seen the application yet since it's not up, but it seems like you just apply to the program's IM residency... is there a place to specifically say "prelim year"?

Prelims have a different program number than categoricals.

Also, since all your LORs will say "kwel's going to be an awesome anesthesiodermatoradiationoncologist" they'll probably figure it out even if you screw that part up.

Actually, only the NRMP numbers are different (the acgme numbers are the same for prelim and categorical tracks in the same program). If a program has multiple tracks, there will be check boxes within its ERAS profile that allow you to indicate the track(s) for which you wish to apply; there is also an optional field to indicate the area of future study should you apply for a prelim track.

When you select your rank order list in the NRMP, you will select the specific track by match number.

Sent via the SDN Mobile app