How do transfers affect Match chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeaBreeze2

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I just got my Step 1 score back- mid 240s and happy about it.

But, I'm a US-IMG and am finishing med school in Europe with no US clinicals.

In my final year, I was thinking of transfering to a Carribean university so I could get some US clinicals.

How would that look on my match application?
Does transfering look bad or will it be understandable?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my Step 1 score back- mid 240s and happy about it.

But, I'm a US-IMG and am finishing med school in Europe with no US clinicals.

In my final year, I was thinking of transfering to a Carribean university so I could get some US clinicals.

How would that look on my match application?
Does transfering look bad or will it be understandable?

That is a terrible idea...why not just see if you can do some electives with
your own school.

No reputable Caribbean school will take you for only one year...you will need to do at least 2 years to transfer.

Agree with @rokshana. Even if they would be willing to take your $50-70K (and, unlike @rokshana, I suspect there are some who would be happy to take your money), the only thing that's going to look worse on your transcript as an IMG is to have had to go to two different foreign schools.

Take 3-6 months, get some USCE, move on with your application process.

Reactions: 2 users
@rokshana many schools have responded that I am eligible to transfer due to my Step score
(They haven't mentioned which year, it may be 2 years but that would be fine)

---
The only other option is to to delay graduation.
I'll have to take a year off to do US clinicals as my school does not allow transfer credits.

Last edited:
@rokshana many schools have responded that I am eligible to transfer due to my Step score
(They haven't mentioned which year, it may be 2 years but that would be fine)

---
The only other option is to to delay graduation.
I'll have to take a year off to do US clinicals as my school does not allow transfer credits.
Then delay graduation and do the USCE as a Med student...that will look oh, so much better than switching to another school...because the perception will be that you HAD to transfer, even if it’s not true...the only time a transfer is looked as a good thing is if you transfer to a US school...if you can do that , it’s worth repeating a year to do so.

And yes, I’m sure there are Caribbean schools that will allow you to do so... but not a reputable one...and yes, to the peanut gallery, there are reputable ones...:)

Thanks for the advice. Seems clear then...delay graduation and get USCE as a medical student.

Last edited: