How do we study for AP exams?

New Vocab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm Canadian. We hardly, if ever, do AP anything, so I'm at a loss as to how to study for an AP exam if I'm not taking an AP class at school. My school, and tons of other schools in the Toronto board - the biggest board in Canada - offers AP classes at only like 3 boards.

I've noticed that some people buy Princeton Review books - are these enough to get 5's?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how smart you are and how hard you try, and also what exams you're taking. Some subjects are really easy to study with prep books, while others can be a lot trickier.

Depends on how smart you are and how hard you try, and also what exams you're taking. Some subjects are really easy to study with prep books, while others can be a lot trickier.

Which are notoriously hard to study with and without prep books?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which are notoriously hard to study with and without prep books?

I would say notoriously hard subjects, but it would be different for different people.

For instance, I'm pretty awful at math, so Calc BC would kill me with or without a prep book.

I would think even though English is easier for most people conceptually, it would be harder to study with a prep book, because it's much more abstract than say a science.

Sciences are probably going to be the best with prep books because they're easy to summarize and pretty cut and dry.

I haven't taken any history AP exams so someone else can speak up about that, but I'm pretty sure it's just a ton of memorization, which you could get from both a good textbook or a good prep book. Most AP history classes already use AMSCO or something similar though, which is a combination of both.

If you're taking an AP exam without the class though, I would definitely recommend getting something to help you out. Whether it be a prep book or a text book from your school.

If you have a good teacher, the only prep necessary should be to pay attention in class and do well in the class. :) If you are just taking the exam, I would buy the text book and self teach yourself.

I'm Canadian. We hardly, if ever, do AP anything, so I'm at a loss as to how to study for an AP exam if I'm not taking an AP class at school. My school, and tons of other schools in the Toronto board - the biggest board in Canada - offers AP classes at only like 3 boards.

I've noticed that some people buy Princeton Review books - are these enough to get 5's?

You are listed as a medical student. Are you studying for an AP exam in medical school?

By studying and working hard in the class. If you manage to get an A in the AP class then you'd be pretty much set for the ap exam. to get a 5 all you need to do is get 65% or higher.

Work your ass off in the class and a 5 will come easy= I gurantee it