How do you approach a secondary essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out. Is it better for a secondary essay to just get to the point, a cut and dry type of thing, and answer the question? Or can it be more creative and take a little longer to the point? I'm writing the essay for Columbia's secondary (What satisfactions do you expect to recieve from your activities as a physician), and I take a more creative approach by using anecodotes and so it takes a while for me to get to the point. I don't know if adcoms will just get frustrated because they just want me to answer the question straight up.

Members don't see this ad.

I have taken the position of just directly answering the question. For me to give a strong example, and really make a point in a short essay (less than 2500 characters) I have to get right to it.

Also, I want them to have my answer, and know I addressed the prompt, right upfront, just in case they don't make it to the conclusion. :luck:

rayster said:
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out. Is it better for a secondary essay to just get to the point, a cut and dry type of thing, and answer the question? Or can it be more creative and take a little longer to the point? I'm writing the essay for Columbia's secondary (What satisfactions do you expect to recieve from your activities as a physician), and I take a more creative approach by using anecodotes and so it takes a while for me to get to the point. I don't know if adcoms will just get frustrated because they just want me to answer the question straight up.

I generally like to saunter up to a secondary essay.

Now to your question.

It really depends on the space they give you. If you have a couple of thousand characters... go nuts, have fun with your writing style. If you're stuck to a couple hundred, be economical- straight to the point. They'll tell you what they want by how much space they give you to answer the question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I've been using small anecdotes to introduce some of my essays. I figure with 2500 characters, I can spare 500 to make my essay a little more interesting to read. :idea:

Depakote said:
It really depends on the space they give you. If you have a couple of thousand characters... go nuts, have fun with your writing style. If you're stuck to a couple hundred, be economical- straight to the point.
I agree with Depakote, to a point. I'd advise against not having too much fun with the secondary. Creative is great, but lord don't be gimmicky. Nothing reads worse than that. It's like a bad joke.

on required essays, i am pretty much just getting too the point without sounding too dry. for completely optional "tell us something about yourself" questions, i think i am going to be a little more creative there.

the more secondaries i fill out, the shorter and more to-the-point they get

Awesome, thanks for the advice!