How do you be persistent? And I'm concerned about myself.

lockness

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Persistence is a skill that I have always lacked. I give up much too easily. I'm in 9th grade and freak out whenever my grade goes down and think that I'm not going to be able to have a career in science or math. Also, people say that it's not the end of the world if I don't have a science or mathematical career. However, to me it is. Have a look at the attached image.
cold.jpg

I see the darkness as every career that isn't science/math. And I look down on people who don't like either of them. It's making me bitter as a person. And honestly, it's making me an dingus. I'm becoming to competitive and when a grade goes down I become self-destructive. I have to be persistent though. I am absolutely determined to have a science/math career, preferably surgery. My grades are pretty damn good right now, but my social skills are awful.

I used to be quiet and awkward but now I'm an dingus to everyone and I hate it. And I hate them too. I can work with them if it gets me a good grade but I have no interest in talking with these people for non-school related things.feynman.jpg

and now i feel awful god damn it

I'm on Zoloft right now, I don't know if it's making me like this but I hate it. Anyways, how do I not give up and how do I stop looking down at others just because they don't like science/math?

Members don't see this ad.

im pathetic i see everyone as darkness

You look down on ppl who don't like science and math and don't like them in general , now i feel like you are trolling but if not.... then sit tight and let this sink in. You're a freshman in high school and you are interested in science/math and very passionate about your grades, congratulations, well done! I don't know how "smart" you are but I know people who would downright amaze you with their academic performance. Some of them are pursing healthcare professions but many of them are not... when those people were in high school, they passed the classes you're currently taking with their eyes closed and they never panicked about their grades going down, because they never went down. Looking down on ppl who aren't pursing the careers that you are interested in is immature and stupid to say the least. i won't comment on the other things you mentioned because of 2 simple reasons, it's pretty clear that you are the one who's isolating himself/herself from others so don't ask why your social skills suck and how to like people... and the other reason is because It would be a waste of time.... yes, I'm looking down on u.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're in 9th grade and are having emotional swings that come along with being a 14 year old. To top it off you have a neurochemical imbalance you're trying to fix. Just trust in the phrase "this too shall pass" - how you see people now and how you interact with them will likely be very different once you're older. Focus on doing the best you can and accepting the grades that come out of that. Focus on maintaining a few good friendships and don't make this whole "science/math is the only worthwhile career" your message to the world.

The more you alienate others, the worse you will feel and the lonelier you will be. This too shall pass.

STEM is over-hyped. I too was fooled into thinking science and math is where it's at. The four-year college degree has no market value sans a few fields or unless you want to go onto graduate school.

Most disciples of engineering have stagnant or even negative unemployment rate. You can't do anything outside of research with a BS in chem or biology. If you're really good at math you can be an actuary, but the pay isn't that great.

I know chemists who couldn't find a job and so they became a car mechanic. They now make a fairly decent amount of money. Truck drivers make more than any lab technician.

Hell, all the jobs have been outsourced. And people think that globalism is a good thing. Engineers and computer scientists in India have a lower standard of living than in America but they do pretty good jobs.