How do you compare UAMS and Henry Ford?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kram

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences(UAMS) compared to Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit? (no preference for geographic location) I did not hear much about UAMS. Henry Ford is a big community hospital where as UAMS is a relatively smaller university based program... Any info about UAMS is highly appreciated. In general, is a small univ hospital better than a big community hospital? Please post your views

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the link.

I was going through the forum to find out about UAMS. Someone posted that UAMS was going through a very lean phase with around 50% board pass rate and gave a C- for UAMS. I was wondering where we can get program pass rates online for Anesthesia programs. I looked in ABA website and searched in google but could not find. I know ABIM publishes a pdf file for Internal medicine pass rates.

If anyone else has been to UAMS and/or Henry Ford, please post.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
no first hand knowledge...just gossip. both are work horse places. seem pretty equal from what i have heard except better peds at uams. university program is probably a little better if you want academics. little rock and detroit are polar opposites... i think i comes down to location....i can't imagine the same person being happy at both as i feel they would appeal to very different people.

I would agree with the post under the interview reviews section about UAMS and I agree with the C- if not something lower. I was completely unimpressed with the program that day from the moment I entered the conference room. This should probably be under the interview day reviews, but my experience has convinced me to not even rank UAMS.

The chair did a brief introduction that seemed completely unprepared. She jumped from topic to topic without any real direction for her presentation. The chair should sell you on the program and tell you why their program is great...she couldn't even keep my attention because I couldn't tell where she was going with her speech.

The chair and the program director did not interview applicants. One of my interviewers obviously knew nothing about me (I don't know if she even knew my name). One of her first questions was "How were your grades in medical school?" Isn't that in my application? She would refer to my application and pick topics to discuss and start with "You did 'such and such', what was that about?". She did that for about 5 questions and then concluded the interview without giving me any opportunity to ask questions. That interview took a record 10 minutes for a 30 minute time slot. My other interviewer was much better and knew my name at least and was interested in getting to know me. Unfortunately, he could not answer a single question I had about the program.

Finally, the interview day is from 2:00-6:00. If you are lucky to be able to fly in that morning, that works out well for when you have to pay for your own hotel for one night. Unfortunately, many of that days' applicants had to come in the night before and then pay for two nights of hotel rooms on their own. The program's only recommendation for a place to stay for the night is the UAMS dorms for visitors. Sounds great for a low price until you find out there is no parking and you have to purchase a parking permit from the UAMS campus in order to park at your dorm for the night. You can park at the Taco Bell across the street if you are comfortable with that. Otherwise...no other recommendations or discounts set up for you to stay at a real hotel.

Dinner was at a decent hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant that the residents raved about. It was a buffet style dinner where all dinner options were pre-arranged and their weren't any adult beverages offered. The food was pretty good, but you got the impression that they were penny-pinching by not allowing you to order your own meal or at least offer something to drink. They already saved money by not having to feed you breakfast or lunch and they saved money by not paying for a hotel. If they skimp on you as an applicant, will they take care of you as a resident?

As far as the program... The residents seemed liked they worked really hard with a frequent call schedule. The interns could not offer a straight up answer of what you do with your intern year. It sounded like every intern had a different schedule and it was up to the scheduling gods as to what rotations you ultimately ended up with. Maybe the residents are happy and they might make their numbers, but it didn't sound like a program where you would get excellent training and an excellent academic experience. As reflected by their recent poor boards experience.

To end on a positive note, I am very interested in peds anesthesia, and it sounded like you would get a fabulous peds experience. It helps to have half of your staff as pedi anesthesiologists. The pedi anesthesiologist who spoke to the applicants on interview day had the most well planned and well organized presentation of all the individuals who spoke to us on interview day. The strength of the peds experience is one of the reasons I applied to this program, however that is not enough for me to even consider ranking the program given the rest of my personal experiences with the interview day.

I have no experience with Henry Ford because I did not apply there, but I honestly believe that there are far superior programs out there than UAMS and Henry Ford is likely to be one of them. First impressions are all many of us have as applicants to make one of the most important decisions of our lives and UAMS gave me an awful first impression.

I hope this helps! Remember, this is ONLY my experience (and perhaps that of the person who originally posted his interview experience). Good luck with your decisions and the match!