How do you correct this comprehension issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightng

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many of you guys have experienced this but I certainly can't be the only one and its most likely the only thing holding me back from breaking a 7 in VR.

It seems that the initial read of any passage is always gibberish and that my brain is more subconsciously primed to understand a lot better upon a second read (not necessarily a day later, but months later as well).

I've noticed this especially when I re-did practice material from TPRH months later. Passages where I would read for the first time and not understand ANYTHING, I could read again down the line and suddenly everything makes sense.

I already read pretty slowly (about 3-3:15 minutes per passage). If anyone has the same issue as me and has found a way to correct this, could you please share your technique?

Members don't see this ad.

I take as much time as I need to read the passage slowly (usually 3 - 4 min) and then answer the questions. It usually doesn't take too much time since I know what's going on in the passage. However, if it is already taking you 3 minutes to read, then you need to pick up the speed, whether its by speed reading or something. You have to read faster so that you can take the time to read the passage.