PhD/PsyD How do you deal with other schools while waiting for a wait-list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junglebadger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just finished up all my applications and interviews for psych doctorate school and am lucky enough to have been given an offer by my second choice of schools. My first choice placed me on their wait-list...

My question is, how do I communicate this to the one school that I need to wait for the other's decision? I would prefer to keep up communication with them, as it seems the most fair and respectful thing to do, but I'm not sure how to say it other than "Sorry, I'm waiting for another school, but if I don't get in you guys are totally my back-up!" or something along those lines.

I let them know when I was waiting for the decision in general, but letting them know that I'm now on the wait-list seems pointless and counter-productive. Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that it seems unnecessary to contact your second choice POI just to let them know you were wait-listed at another school. However, if you feel the need to keep up communication, or they contact you, there are ways to handle the situation both honestly and professionally. Something like, "I'm still waiting on final application determinations and program information from other schools (or just, "another school") that will be important to my decision. Working with you at UofX remains a top choice for me, and I will be sure to keep you updated as things move forward in the process."

And a general note: The PIs I have interacted with so far not only understood the realities of the process, but offered to help me consolidate information to make the best choice for me. These are the types of people that I would want to work with for 5 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Faculty members understand all the dynamics of the graduate school admission process. There is a reason you have until April 15th to make a decision! Those of us who have given offers to students *want* to hear back earlier, if possible, to be able to extend an offer to another student, but in truth once the offer goes out, the student has until that fateful April day to decide, and we know that. It's obvious if you're not saying yes, you're either deciding between two schools or waiting to hear from another program....these are just the rules of the game. It's OK. :)