How do you decide between multiple summer research offers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Gerrard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to decide by tomorrow and I'm kind of lost.

One is in my home city, its in a field I am interested in, psychiatry with a hint of bioethics, and its where all my friends are going to be.

Another is in Nashville, in a field I am also interested in (well nephrology but i like IM) and i have a feeling it is a bit more prestigious.

I get paid a bit more in Nashville... but rent is also more expensive and I would also have to keep paying rent here because i may have trouble finding a subleaser.

I don't know how to decide??

Members don't see this ad.

How do you decide? You consider that you're applying for research (i.e., extra work during what would normally be free time) in fields that aren't competitive and then decline both offers in favor of, you know, anything else. ;)

Seriously, though, figure out which one you're more likely to get something tangible out of. No publication/case report/poster=no thanks. If you're going to get published from both, try to run the logistics of getting a place to stay for 3 months (which won't be terribly easy) to see if Nashville is even an option. If it is, I'd probably lean towards that.

I would stay in my home city - that whole subletting/double rent thing is a real pain, and if you don't have a compelling preference for one over the other, it's probably going to be a lot less stressful to stay local.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it was me, I would pick the former. Cheaper, less hassle, and with all my friends. Enjoy your summer.

yeah i agree: friends, better pay (relatively), and hometown...research is research is research...to me at least

yeah its more interesting work to me too.

basically, i would only go there because of the prestige of the other institution and the connections i would possibly make there

other that that, staying here wins hands down

so, is the prestige/connections worth it? a dean at my college who i talked to said how it would be nice to have one of his students do a more competitive project like that, so maybe it would help me in that regard too?

Only you know what's "worth it" to you. It probably wouldn't be worth it to me.

there are some decisions that are so one sided that people would be an idiot not to choose the right way

i guess this isn't one of them. i was looking for an excuse to stay here all along, but i guess i need to look past the prestige at some point