How do you define a "clean record?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you lost $500 in a lawsuit for a chipped tooth in 1987, is your record never "clean" again?

Members don't see this ad.

If you lost $500 in a lawsuit for a chipped tooth in 1987, is your record never "clean" again?

What's the context? Conversation with neighbors over beer? Applying for a state license?

You'd certainly have to answer yes to the questions asking about prior malpractice suits or settlements if it was in the window they ask about.

I do have to ask though, if this isn't a hypothetical question, why on earth wouldn't you just refer the guy to a dentist and pay the bill? How does a chipped tooth ever turn into a lawsuit or even a settlement?

Hypothetical. no lawsuits, yet. I see job postings that say "must have clean malpractice record" and I wonder exactly what they mean. Most anesthesiologists have at least one lawsuit in a career.

Members don't see this ad :)
You report it and explain like you did above. Nobody is likely to reject you because of that. However, they probably get a lot of shady applicants going job to job or locums, etc. only to find after some screening that they have a few significant lawsuits as well, maybe still pending.

Many credentialing bodies and insurers only seem to care about what's happened in the past 10 years. So the answer to your specific question is "no". Your record is clean in their eyes.