How do you do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mzeep

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was just wondering I know a lot of you have posted about how you had low UG GPAs and then went on to do a masters, just wondering how do you make the cut-offs? Most SMPs/Masters I've looked at require a minimum of 3.2. I just didn't know how a lot of people were getting into them.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The only SMPs with hard and fast cut offs are EMVS (2.75) and Loyola (3.0). All the rest have a suggested minimum, usually a 3.0 (not a 3.2), but you can get in with less than that if you have a high enough MCAT or a stong enough performance in your last few years of college. SMPs are generally more generous than medical schools in terms of allowing a high MCAT to offset your GPA. However if you can't get the high MCAT, you're going to need to do some GPA repair to even get into the SMP.

To fix your GPA you can

1) Take more classes to raise your GPA for MD schools

2) Retake classes to raise your GPA for DO schools.

3) Get a very high MCAT, go directly to an SMP.

And of course there's always the Carribbean.

Yes, this can take quite a while.

The only SMPs with hard and fast cut offs are EMVS (2.75) and Loyola (3.0). All the rest have a suggested minimum, usually a 3.0 (not a 3.2), but you can get in with less than that if you have a high enough MCAT or a stong enough performance in your last few years of college. SMPs are generally more generous than medical schools in terms of allowing a high MCAT to offset your GPA. However if you can't get the high MCAT, you're going to need to do some GPA repair to even get into the SMP.

To fix your GPA you can

1) Take more classes to raise your GPA for MD schools

2) Retake classes to raise your GPA for DO schools.

3) Get a very high MCAT, go directly to an SMP.

And of course there's always the Carribbean.

Yes, this can take quite a while.

I had a low undergrad gpa of around 2.5. Since last fall I have been taking courses and now have around 50 credits, all science and math, at a 3.6 gpa. Im taking another 17 credits now and should be able to maintain the 3.6 if not pull it up a bit. I would still like to try to go to a US MD school, and realize that an SMP is probably my only option. I think I will take an MCAT early in the fall. When is the best time to apply for an SMP and with a decent MCAT do would I be able to get in? I went to Cornell for my undergrad, if that means anything at all, and just didnt do my work, hence the 2.5.

Even if I get a high MCAT, get into an SMP and do well, will I still have a real tough time getting into a US MD school with my low undergrad gpa?

THANKS!

I had a low undergrad gpa of around 2.5. Since last fall I have been taking courses and now have around 50 credits, all science and math, at a 3.6 gpa. Im taking another 17 credits now and should be able to maintain the 3.6 if not pull it up a bit. I would still like to try to go to a US MD school, and realize that an SMP is probably my only option. I think I will take an MCAT early in the fall. When is the best time to apply for an SMP and with a decent MCAT do would I be able to get in? I went to Cornell for my undergrad, if that means anything at all, and just didnt do my work, hence the 2.5.

Even if I get a high MCAT, get into an SMP and do well, will I still have a real tough time getting into a US MD school with my low undergrad gpa?

THANKS!
If your overall gpa IS A 3.6...you don't need an SMP...I think with a 3.3+ and the right MCAT/ECs an SMP is not really worth it bc people get in without it.