How do you feel when you get a rejection letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geldrop

Crushed Pepper Rules
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys feel when you get a rejection letter. The first one kind of annoyed me, but after that I don't even pay much attention to them more of a "matter of fact" type feeling.

Just go get something to eat (usually dinner time when i finally can look through the mail) and go one with my life.

Members don't see this ad.

When I bought lunch today it was 5.71 as opposed to the usual 6.21. I was really curious as to why I had recieved a fifty cent discount or if the price of something dropped. Then, I realized the cashier did not ring up my cookies (2 @ .25 each), hence the discrepancy. I suppose hiding my cookies was a cost-effective measure. If I weren't so morally sound, I'd make this cookie thievery thing a habit.

I have been interviewed by very difficult/challenging ranked programs and some lower schools reject me...

:D If they only knew...:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, each one stings a little. They get easier to endure though, especially after an acceptance. Until your first acceptance, each rejection is a little door being closed on your future. After your first acceptance, rejections are merely alternative paths that can no longer be taken on your destination to become a physician.

wolferman said it. Having JHU in hand eased the hurt, but it still stings that Duke and Penn didn't want me. And it made Northwestern's pre-interview rejection kind of funny.

Rejections are bittersweet to me. Of course it sucks to be rejected, and you can't help but take it a bit personally, but I've always thought that getting a rejection is better than getting a dead-end waitlist that keeps you hoping for months and months that you will get in....and in the end many don't. The waiting part just kills me. At least with a rejection it's cut and dry: "WE DON'T WANT YOU." cool, now you can go on with your life. :)

It hurts. Exactly as Wolferman said.....another little door closing on a future that could be.

Waitlists really stink. Why don't schools just come out and be honest about their intentions? Let them say, we only pull X students of the waitlist every year, so let our waitlist be around X + 1-2% over. In reality, many schools do the waitlist thing with 2X or 3X waitlisters. It's cruel. :mad:

R

For me, it really depends on where the rejection is from. If it is a state school or one that I REALLY wanted to go to, it still hurts (especially since I have no acceptances).

However, at this point, if it comes from a school that I knew that I had virtually no chance of getting into anyhow, it doesn't bother me too much. I just shrug those rejections off and file them away, console myself with salsa and chips, and do something fun.

it hurts you guys? seriously, i shrug pretty much all of them off! the only one that hurt was the post-interview uvm. it didn't even hurt when ohsu gave me the ding the other day even though i'd love to live in portland and their curriculum sounds great.

...rejection is the price that genius must pay.

My rejections from state schools hurt because I thought they were my best chances and I didn't even get interviews there. But regardless, I didn't feel too great about my chances outside of my state schools but I received 7 interview offers and have 4 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 1 pre interview withdrawal, and one more interview to go so I am definitely content. I've gotten 12 rejections so far and the majority of them are like "whatever".

just got one online from Penn

i like cookies too

My first one hurt really badly. I cried all night. It was my state school, and completely unexpected. After that, I was ok. Except for being totally pissed at the school now, I guess.

My next one was just like "eh, that sucks".

And then a couple of days after that, the worry came, cause those were supposed to be the two schools that I applied to that would be the easiest to get into.

I was happy because the wait was over early, and I could plan my life for this summer and fall without freaking out on what to do.