How do you get exposure to PP (ACT model) anesthesia during medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

repititionition

Sure!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming MS1, interested in anesthesia, and have had prior experiences (paramedic) doing airway rotations with anesthesiologists.

Anesthesia is -- going in, and I know that this is worth approximately zero -- my current primary interest, but I'm concerned that what I see during a two week elective + one month AI is not going to be anything like what my day-to-day "job" will/would be like after residency, especially if I were to practice in the ever-increasingly "popular" ACT model.

While I'll certainly see what options exist through my medical school to be put in contact with University-affiliated PP anesthesiologists, I wondered if anyone here had ideas or tips for how I might shadow community docs out there working in the trenches.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep your mind open to other possibilities throughout school but the answer to your question is pretty simple. Do a rotation with a community anesthesia group. Community hospitals usually have an academic affairs department... Just call then up and say you want to rotate with anesthesia. Worst they can say is no. Or if you want to shadow before third year just call a group up and ask to shadow. Again, worst they can say is no

My residency during your CA-3 year on call they had a CRNA on call who was very friendly. He allowed CA-3's to psuedosupervise his room. As well as CA-3's role probably the later half of CA-3 year was to supervise junior residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not true supervision/direction until you get to tell them EXACTLY what to do. That's when the militant ones show their fangs. Or when you get to the subject of residency, or board-certification.

Some of them are militant, some of them are just dumb and indoctrinated against physicians. It's classical class warfare, "Animal Farm"-style: "Nurses good, doctors bad." And it works because most healthcare organizations are run by nurses nowadays.

It's not true supervision/direction until you get to tell them EXACTLY what to do. That's when the militant ones show their fangs. Or when you get to the subject of residency, or board-certification.

Supervision and direction are terms with different meanings for billing purposes.