How do you get FACEP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stebb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered how one gets the letters "FACEP" after their name. How does one get the title of a "Fellow" without having done a fellowship. I know like in Critical Care for example, you get John Doe M.D., FCCM after having done a fellowship, but it seems like in Emergency Medicine you don't necessarily need to do a fellowship to get the title...or am i wrong?

if anyone could shed some light on the situation that would be nice.

thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

stebb said:
I've always wondered how one gets the letters "FACEP" after their name. How does one get the title of a "Fellow" without having done a fellowship. I know like in Critical Care for example, you get John Doe M.D., FCCM after having done a fellowship, but it seems like in Emergency Medicine you don't necessarily need to do a fellowship to get the title...or am i wrong?

if anyone could shed some light on the situation that would be nice.

thanks...

The "F" is either "Faculty" or "Fellow" it doesnt mean you did a fellowship but rather it denotes you are a member.

Hence - FACEP = Fellow of the American College of Emergency Physicians

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am FACEP and FAAEM. I sure as heck didn't do any fellowships. AAEM makes you a fellow simply by joining. ACEP makes you a fellow after 3 years plus a few other "criteria" which anyone working in an ED can meet. I've been w/ ACEP since the start of residency, and will stay w/ them. I joined AAEM after leaving the Kaiser system and taking this FFS job. AAEM seems all (or at least a lot) about looking out for the well being of us single hospital democratic groups...Figured that I may as well hook up w/ them, plus the dues is relatively low....
Geez, I wonder if I should get all my scrub tops stenciled.....
D.O., FACEP, FAAEM.... :laugh: I think not!

Reactions: 1 user
spyderdoc said:
Geez, I wonder if I should get all my scrub tops stenciled.....D.O., FACEP, FAAEM.... :laugh: I think not!
No. That would be lame. You should have the FACEP and FAAEM silk screened on 4 inch letters on your back. Old English lettering. Now THAT would be cool.

Note the definition of the word "fellow":

Main Entry: fel·low
Pronunciation: 'fe-(")lO, -l&(-w)
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English felawe, from Old English fEolaga, from Old Norse fElagi, from fElag partnership, from fE cattle, money + lag act of laying
1 : COMRADE, ASSOCIATE
2 a : an equal in rank, power, or character : PEER b : one of a pair : MATE
3 : a member of a group having common characteristics; specifically : a member of an incorporated literary or scientific society
4 a obsolete : a person of one of the lower social classes b : a worthless man or boy c : MAN, BOY d : BOYFRIEND, BEAU
5 : an incorporated member of a college or collegiate foundation especially in a British university
6 : a person appointed to a position granting a stipend and allowing for advanced study or research

southerndoc said:
Note the definition of the word "fellow":

Main Entry: fel·low
Pronunciation: 'fe-(")lO, -l&(-w)
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English felawe, from Old English fEolaga, from Old Norse fElagi, from fElag partnership, from fE cattle, money + lag act of laying
1 : COMRADE, ASSOCIATE
2 a : an equal in rank, power, or character : PEER b : one of a pair : MATE
3 : a member of a group having common characteristics; specifically : a member of an incorporated literary or scientific society
4 a obsolete : a person of one of the lower social classes b : a worthless man or boy c : MAN, BOY d : BOYFRIEND, BEAU
5 : an incorporated member of a college or collegiate foundation especially in a British university
6 : a person appointed to a position granting a stipend and allowing for advanced study or research

Then why isn't EVERYONE FACEP??? it should be then just by the fact that you joined ACEP, completed residency and passed your boards that you you are technically a "Fellow". I was thinking there are certain requirements to be granted that title since not everyone that is an ER doc has the title FACEP after their name. thats all i'm asking....i'm not trying to be a smart arse here....

if you become a member of FACC, FCCM, FCCP, you did a particular fellowship and passed a certain exam to become distinguished as a "fellow", I was curious as to how and why some folks had FACEP and why others didn't....

stebb said:
Then why isn't EVERYONE FACEP??? it should be then just by the fact that you joined ACEP, completed residency and passed your boards that you you are technically a "Fellow". I was thinking there are certain requirements to be granted that title since not everyone that is an ER doc has the title FACEP after their name. thats all i'm asking....i'm not trying to be a smart arse here....

You choose to join ACEP. ACEP will accept people who are board-certified and residency-trained in emergency medicine. Fellowship into a medical society can be a lengthy process. Most require residency training and board-certification in the respective field, letters of recommendations from various professional associates, invitations from current fellows, etc. It varies by the society.

Most individuals who do not list FACEP after their name are either not a member of ACEP (by their own choice) or simply do not list it. Almost all the faculty at my program are fellows of ACEP, but pretty much none list it after their name.

if you become a member of FACC, FCCM, FCCP, you did a particular fellowship and passed a certain exam to become distinguished as a "fellow", I was curious as to how and why some folks had FACEP and why others didn't....

Those are societies where fellowship training is required. Fellows of the American College of Physicians (FACP) are not fellowship trained. They are only residency trained in internal medicine. Fellows of the American Academy of Pediatrics (FAAP) are not fellowship trained. Fellows of the American College of Radiology (FACR) aren't fellowship trained. Fellows of the American College of OB/Gyn (FACOG) are not fellowship trained. Fellows of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) are not fellowship trained.

As you can see, there are a long list of specialties where fellowship training is not required to be a fellow -- a member of a scientific body -- of the respective society.

The only emergency medicine-related boarded specialty that requires fellowship training before becoming a fellow is the American College of Medical Toxicology (FACMT).