How do you go about getting a committee letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddfafari

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is possible to just do an interview with a few admissions people and have them write you a letter. How does the whole thing work? Does it have to be from the school you graduated from or can you interview with a school that you are interested in. Maybe someone can shed some light. I might have the whole committee letter thing wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

it's a committee in your undergrad school that is designed to write letters for pre-health students. In my school, you basically submit three LOR, a short application, personal statement and a $200 check to the committee as well as have a 1 on 1 interview with one of their chosen faculty members, which are then compiled for them to draft an overall recommendation letter. You can only do this if there is such a committee in your school.

here is an example of such a committee:
http://www.career.cornell.edu/HealthCareers/HCEC/basics.html

ddfafari said:
I am wondering if it is possible to just do an interview with a few admissions people and have them write you a letter. How does the whole thing work? Does it have to be from the school you graduated from or can you interview with a school that you are interested in. Maybe someone can shed some light. I might have the whole committee letter thing wrong.

The committee letter has to be from the pre-med/pre-dent committee at your undergrad school, unless there isn't one.

Every school is a little different in terms of getting the letter... at my school, I had to submit a seperate application to the committee to see if I was worthy of a letter... I had to write a 10 page autobiography, a list of my extracurriculars and volunteer work, submit 3 LORs from science professors and let them go over my transcript in detail. Once they decided I was worthy of the letter, they compiled the 3 LORs from profs into one large letter from the committee.

Just go and find out if your school has such a committee and they'll tell you exactly what you need to do.

:luck: