How do you guys commit things to your memory?

AcademicTerror

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I personally never write things out to get info into my head (I'm not really tactile). I'm more of a relfexive learner, as in I think about things in my head; I see the concepts/facts/equations occurring in my mind. Also I hardly recite things to get it into my memory.

So how do you personally commit things to memory?
Are you the tactile type?
Are you the auditory type?
Are reflexive and visual type (think things in your mind)?
Or are you a combination of them all?

Mine- reflexive/visual/w/ a little auditory no tactile whatsoever except for math

Just a quick survey

Members don't see this ad.

Repetition. For tedious lists of facts I use flash cards. For conceptual things I solve problems, practice applying the concepts. Regardless of what type of learner you are, repetition is the only way you will retain it.

reflexive/visual learner all the way! and like ^ said- repetition is key, repetition is key, repetition is key, repetition is key:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I totally agree w/ you guys in that repetition is the key to learning. For example I used to be horrid at math until I actually started to do my hw, go figure! I repeat the concepts/facts/ideas w/in my mind during car rides and stuff or at restraunts and the concepts/facts just stick to my head.

Math= primarily tactile repetition (work the damn problems)/reflexive (thinking) and visualization repetition

English= tactile/reflexive/visualization/auditory= all 4 need to be applied repeatedly

sciences= all 4 need to be applied as in English

Histories= Reflexive/visualization (think about the concepts and the ideas)+ a little bit of tactile in that you need to practice writing papers/essays/outlines

General idea to committing things to long term memory-Repeat+Repeat+Repeat+Repeat (could go on forever) x Questioning/Thinking (Why the hell does this happen?/What's the significance of this/Why is this important/Does this link to something else I've learned? If so how?/Why?)= FORMULA SO YOU'D NEVER FORGET
:D

I'm pretty much all reflexive. I don't do much homework at all but don't stress much during tests and just think things out. That usually gets me A's on tests.

So how do you personally commit things to memory?

Understand the why behind the what,

Concepts are easier to remember long term then forcing a list into your brain by repetition. For instance when thinking of the different causes of chest pain you can memorize a list which is hard and easy to forget. Or you can think of the anatomy of the chest (something easy to picture in one's mind) and think of all the pathology of each individual part that could cause pain. For instance in the chest you will usually find a heart, lungs, esophagus, aorta, ribs, muscle, and skin. Then break it down by part and use what you know about each. MI, unstable, stable angina, variant angina, PE, pneumonia, adhesion, esophageal spasm, GERD, broken ribs, shingles ect, ect. Congratulations you now know a good differential list for chest pain by thinking about it logically instead of forcing a list into your head.

Are you the tactile type?
Are you the auditory type?
Are reflexive and visual type (think things in your mind)?
Or are you a combination of them all?

All

I have a near eidetic memory. I read something once or twice and I have it committed to memory and can recall it years later. I'm able to read a book not look at if or years and still recall it as if I just had set it down.

I have a near eidetic memory. I read something once or twice and I have it committed to memory and can recall it years later. I'm able to read a book not look at if or years and still recall it as if I just had set it down.

I have a great GPA and study an hour or two a night.

just as a warning....its great and all that you have a eidetic memory or whatever but you might wanna tone it down when it comes to interviews and stuff in terms of boasting about it. Its sounds pretty douchie and will not come off well - especially stuff like the 2nd quote. Doesnt matter if its true or not. And to be honest even if it is true (most people that say they study an hour or two and remembe everything are full of ****) i would keep it to yourself b/c most people that hear it are gonna a) think you are a liar or b) resent you for how little you have to try to do well. Coming off cocky is never a good thing - espeically for something that you really didnt earn or deserve (an incredible memory).

Members don't see this ad :)
just as a warning....its great and all that you have a eidetic memory or whatever but you might wanna tone it down when it comes to interviews and stuff in terms of boasting about it. Its sounds pretty douchie and will not come off well - especially stuff like the 2nd quote. Doesnt matter if its true or not. And to be honest even if it is true (most people that say they study an hour or two and remembe everything are full of ****) i would keep it to yourself b/c most people that hear it are gonna a) think you are a liar or b) resent you for how little you have to try to do well. Coming off cocky is never a good thing - espeically for something that you really didnt earn or deserve (an incredible memory).

I don't have to worry about interviews, I already have my acceptance in hand. Honestly, you are the person who has to worry about your exceedingly negative attitude towards others, Program Directors look at this. I'm not being "cocky" about it, just merely stating the facts. In regards to your comment, I think that you are probably just a bitter med student who despises anyone who can succeed while being able to maintain a life beyond the confines of the library. Guessing from your tone you despise anyone who is more successful than you. Also your use of expletives and lack of grammar and spelling point to an individual of limited intelligence. The point of this thread was to discuss how we studied. I stated I spent one to two hours a night studying, perhaps you would like to inform us of how you study.

Repetition. For tedious lists of facts I use flash cards. For conceptual things I solve problems, practice applying the concepts. Regardless of what type of learner you are, repetition is the only way you will retain it.

There is not substitute for repetition. :thumbup:

I don't have to worry about interviews, I already have my acceptance in hand. Honestly, you are the person who has to worry about your exceedingly negative attitude towards others, Program Directors look at this. I'm not being "cocky" about it, just merely stating the facts. In regards to your comment, I think that you are probably just a bitter med student who despises anyone who can succeed while being able to maintain a life beyond the confines of the library. Guessing from your tone you despise anyone who is more successful than you. Also your use of expletives and lack of grammar and spelling point to an individual of limited intelligence. The point of this thread was to discuss how we studied. I stated I spent one to two hours a night studying, perhaps you would like to inform us of how you study.

You were accepted to a BS/DO program! You didn't even start undergrad yet! Maybe a couple hours a night is enough for you in high school. Guess what, high school is a joke. Most of us got A's doing just that. If you believe this qualifies you as having eidetic memory or translates to above-mediocre performance at the post secondary level you are in for a rude awakening. And calling yourself "FutureCTDoc" does make you cocky.

There is not substitute for repetition. :thumbup:

You were accepted to a BS/DO program! You didn't even start undergrad yet! Maybe a couple hours a night is enough for you in high school. Guess what, high school is a joke. Most of us got A's doing just that. If you believe this qualifies you as having eidetic memory or translates to above-mediocre performance at the post secondary level you are in for a rude awakening. And calling yourself "FutureCTDoc" does make you cocky.

Actually I'm in college just finished up midterms and have done very well thank you. I previously took courses at the University of Connecticut and had a 3.4 GPA. My midterms were all As.

As an aside, I'm curious why you need to repeat 4 years of college to get into DO school. Those programs were made for high school kids.

I went to UConn while in HS. Took classes during the summer.

I find mnemonic devices and just reading the material every day, no matter how busy I am helps me a lot. I'm a visual learner as well so my notes are the paper equivalent of Skittles.

I have a great GPA and study an hour or two a night.

You have a 3.4 GPA from what you stated and are going DO.

Why are you so cocky?

I could have done that with no studying and I aint that smart, lol!!! :laugh:

I love cocky, little dudes!! They are so cute at that age, lol :rolleyes:

yikes. someone is a little on edge. lets take a chill pill. breathe. it will all be okay. For someone who doesnt know me at all, youve made a lot of assumptions...all of which are incorrect. I was just telling you the truth, there was no need to go on a personal attack (especially since you dont know me personally, or at all). Your statement came off as cocky.... I said nothing of my opinion towards you. In fact I have none. I wasnt judging you (well maybe now I am, since you appear to be a giant *******), just simply giving you some advice. If you dont like it, ignore it. The rest of your comments and accusations dont warrant a defense from me, so ill just leave it at that. Im sorry that i dont take the time to use perfect grammar and spell check for typos and use large complicated words to impress people on an anonymous forum....clearly i am of lesser intelligence than you and hate you because of it. Guess i should drop out of med school....I am a failure.

p.s what made your original statement cocky was that you boasted about your GPA (which isnt really impressive at all, to be honest) in a forum that had nothing to do with GPAs. Its like you were searching for a pad on the back for only studying a few hours and still maintaining a high GPA. Congrats.

Last edited:
Guys relax, hes just bitter because he will never be a "real" physician

Guys relax, hes just bitter because he will never be a "real" physician

careful now, with comments like that he'll somehow be able to type your personality and intelligence. Expect a post like this, which completely misses the fact that you were joking....

" DOs are real physicians. They practice western medicine just as MDs. Some of the DO schools are just as if not more "prestigious" than some MD schools. In fact, my school is one of the best (and i only studied a few hours a night during high school and still got an acceptance, and my GPA was really high....impressive huh?). Just because you are less intelligent and will probably need to go to a caribbean med school b/c you will be rejected by DO schools and MD schools in the states (including my very prestigious school). Oh and your grammar is terrible. You typed "hes" but really it should be "he's." I had better typing skills than that in first grade. And dont you know that sentences must end with some sort of punctuation? In your case, it would be a period, but you didnt do that. Maybe if you werent so bitter and of lesser intelligence you might enjoy life more like me (i only study for an hour or two a night, and maintain a high GPA....wait did i tell you that already?).

I'm a little of everything, but I think mostly visual. I've recently started using flashcards for everything, and that has helped a lot! I also like using mnenomics, but I'm horrible at coming up with them on my own, I have to use someone elses. Usually I'll just write everything out multiple times and keep going over it multiple times, especially right now when I'm trying to remember all the traits and organism examples of the phlyums from every kingdom =/

Actually I'm in college just finished up midterms and have done very well thank you. I previously took courses at the University of Connecticut and had a 3.4 GPA. My midterms were all As.

Honestly, I think this guy is just joking in order to drive a reaction out of you. I certainly hope so, because 3.4 + DO doesn't exactly warrant a cocky attitude such as this. On the other hand, if you were in HMS, I'd actually understand that although you are being a complete AH,you are going to 1 of the top medical schools in the country.

Either way, FutureCTDoc = fail