How do you guys study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what are you study methods for classes like Biology? I know everyone learns differently, but I'm open to try new methods.

Members don't see this ad.

Read the book?

Members don't see this ad :)
Read the book?

I don’t read any of my textbooks.

I use a modified version of the Cornell method. Our profs tend to put the PowerPoints up before lecture, so I follow along with the PowerPoints while writing pertinent supplemental info in my notes. I will also draw a quick doodle of something if that helps since I’m a visual learner. If it’s a complex topic and I can come up with a good image, I will draw it in more detail later.

When I go to study for exams, I review the PowerPoints and the notes. We usually have a practice exam or study guide with questions available, and I will go through that to make sure I really get the concepts.

That’s it.

Reactions: 4 users
Flashcards, flashcards, and more flashcards lol

Reactions: 1 user
You’re welcome bro glad I could help.
why even respond if you're going to post a sarcastic comment?

one of those bro guys lol. I can imagine you saying COME ON BRO! COME AT ME BROOO!

LOL

Maybe you should continue to work on your BENCH PRESSS BROOOO

why even respond if you're going to post a sarcastic comment?

one of those bro guys lol. COME ON BRO! COME AT ME BROOO!

LOL

Maybe you should continue to work on your BENCH PRESSS BROOOO

Whoa take it easy

Reactions: 5 users
Don't post a sarcastic comment then? Find something better to do with your time?

Spring break my man I really don’t. Also serial killer also posted unhelpful advice but you liked his comment for some reason.

Spring break my man I really don’t. Also serial killer also posted unhelpful advice but you liked his comment for some reason.
I've private messaged with him before, and he gave me good advice. He's given me helpful advice in the past threads before you were here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've private messaged with him before, and he gave me good advice. He's given me helpful advice in the past threads before you were here.

Dayum. Seems like you’re taking this very personally.

This seems to be following the natural progression of a typical @Turkishking thread.
I did ask a serious question, because I am always trying to find new ways to improve. I've tried various study methods, and I would like to see what works for members on this site. Reading the book? That was the first thing I did, and yes it did work, but it takes too much time. Yeah, everyone seems to post a sarcastic comment which triggers me. And this ends up being the "typical turkishking" or "never fails to entertain!"thread. I'm glad I can be so much of entertainment for you guys! Then I get reported for being triggered. Thanks!

@Turkishking Didn't you already take general biology? Just curious, I thought you were a Junior/Senior undergraduate student.
I have to take 4 or 5 bio electives to fulfill my major. I am a chemistry major. But I have taken bio 1 and 2 but I have to take another bio class.

I also transferred my sophomore year.

Active practice of material is the absolute way to go. Took me from a C science student to an A student. I don’t retain anything from just reading or going through PowerPoints. I take my initial notes based on the slides or book chapter, creating a study guide of sorts, then I go through all of the material and create a practice test for myself - short answer, long answer, draw this structure, matching, true false, the whole deal. So you go through the material 4-5 times: once making the study guide, go through it again and have to think critically to make the practice test, go through it again doing the exam (active recall), and then go through it again “grading” the exam... and if you make a photocopy or type up the practice questions, you can do it more than once. It has helped me so much!

If you struggle focusing as I do, I recommend the Forest app. I’m very reward motivated so being able to grow a tree as I work and earn other styles of tree motivated me, and after a few months of using it, I can do solid two plus hour blocks at a time without being distracted now no problem, and can go 12 hours a day no problem. It seems simple and dumb, but it really helped me.

Also, Anki. All of the Anki.

Good luck to you!!

Reactions: 3 users
Active practice of material is the absolute way to go. Took me from a C science student to an A student. I don’t retain anything from just reading or going through PowerPoints. I take my initial notes based on the slides or book chapter, creating a study guide of sorts, then I go through all of the material and create a practice test for myself - short answer, long answer, draw this structure, matching, true false, the whole deal. So you go through the material 4-5 times: once making the study guide, go through it again and have to think critically to make the practice test, go through it again doing the exam (active recall), and then go through it again “grading” the exam... and if you make a photocopy or type up the practice questions, you can do it more than once. It has helped me so much!

If you struggle focusing as I do, I recommend the Forest app. I’m very reward motivated so being able to grow a tree as I work and earn other styles of tree motivated me, and after a few months of using it, I can do solid two plus hour blocks at a time without being distracted now no problem, and can go 12 hours a day no problem. It seems simple and dumb, but it really helped me.

Also, Anki. All of the Anki.

Good luck to you!!

This post is just a perfect example of how everyone is different. I am essentially the exact opposite of you. I get no added benefit from making up practice problems or drawing structures repeatedly. I also get absolutely nothing out of flash cards or anki. Basically all I do is take notes and read them and the PowerPoints. If a practice exam is available, I do it. If not, oh well. And I am crushing my postbacc with a 4.0 so far.

You (general you) just need to experiment to find what works and stick with it.

Reactions: 4 users
The following is just what I do. It might help you to look around the Internet and look at different suggestions specific to Biology and see what works for you. I would highly recommend the blog called Study Hacks.

1. To reduce time reading, there is a video overview of most concepts on YouTube. I find it helps me to get a bit of a primer on the material before I start reading.

2. I then give the assigned or recommended reading a nice, thorough read-through. I try to read textbooks differently than I would read other books. I intentionally read them slower and am pretty OCD about stopping after each paragraph to summarize what I just read to ensure that I got the main point. If there is an audiobook available for my textbook, I will read along with that to force myself not to lose focus. Always do the assigned reading before attending the corresponding lecture(s).

3. Immediately after attending the corresponding lecture, I mentally summarize the lecture to myself going from the general points to the professor's conclusion while I am walking to my next class. When I am doing a task that is not mentally demanding (cooking, cleaning, walking from place to place, caring for my pets, working at a department store back when I did...), I try to mentally summarize the material from the current chapter.

4. After I attend the corresponding lecture and get notes back, I organize the material in a way that makes sense to me and draw out corresponding diagrams from the book that go with the lecture material. I narrate this process to myself out loud. I continue to compress the notes each day until I can recreate the lecture to myself.

4. I make flashcards for the lecture notes and the concepts from the book and try to spend time reviewing from those each day. I carry them around in my purse and do them when I have a moment and then for around 10 minutes at the very end of the day before I get ready for bed. I try to phrase my flashcards as such that I have to explain concepts.

5. For processes in Biochem or Genetics, I get out printer paper and try to draw them out from memory, narrating the logic behind which step goes before which other step out loud. I do this everyday until I know them backwards and forwards.

Reactions: 1 users
This post is just a perfect example of how everyone is different. I am essentially the exact opposite of you. I get no added benefit from making up practice problems or drawing structures repeatedly. I also get absolutely nothing out of flash cards or anki. Basically all I do is take notes and read them and the PowerPoints. If a practice exam is available, I do it. If not, oh well. And I am crushing my postbacc with a 4.0 so far.

You (general you) just need to experiment to find what works and stick with it.

It’s so true! God, the process of learning itself is so interesting!

If I had to pick sides, I'm with @doctorcocter 100%. Sarcastic comments are what I live for! And maybe you should have done a search on how to study because there's tons of stuff. And it's not about bench press......dead lifts baby!

Reactions: 1 users
Teach teach teach!!!!! Get yourself a study group, and divide the material between the members. Each person has to teach their section to the others. If you can explain something well enough that someone else understands it, then you do too. Use this method as a supplement to your independent study methods.

Reactions: 2 users
auditory learner myself. attend every lecture and pay attention; ask questions when needed

I never cracked a single textbook; stopped buying them altogether after a while. I never looked over material prior to lecture either.

I just went to lecture, took notes, then made flashcards based on my notes and used those for studying. If the professor was a slower talker, sometimes I'd skip the note-taking altogether and just make flashcards while he/she was talking.

For biochem, a few of us got together every other week or so and took turns going through the power points and asking each other questions. We were all pretty dedicated and well-prepared, so that helped a lot. It wouldn't have worked quite as well if people hadn't known the material beforehand.

learning/studying in UG is a lot different than how it will be in med school. if youre a good independent learner you're off to a good start. try incorporating that in your UG courses as supplement on what already works for you. if youre getting As dont change anything, just add on top of what youre already doing if u want. (im not a med student yet but my best friend finished his 2nd yr and tells me how it is)