How do you handle group work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudyShy

XOXO
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that nurse midwifery school would require all papers to be written in groups. For one class, I pretty much have no say in what goes into the assignment therefore I am dependent on whatever crap that my classmates want to turn in. I understand that collaboration is important, but I did not anticipate every paper to be group work. I don't know if I can stand it although I really wanted to get started working with pregnant women. Also, I'm really taking a gamble with my GPA by taking the midwifery courses since I have lost control of my grades to other people. I'm also a quarter of the way through a master's degree in European history. Would you guys just ditch the midwifery courses and focus on finishing premed requirements and finish the history degree? How do you guys handle group work where you are left to deal with whatever group that you are assigned to or is does this school just sound ridiculous?

I've never given up on something that I really wanted like this, but if I jeopordize my future education, I don't know if it is so wise to continue with midwifery.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't know that nurse midwifery school would require all papers to be written in groups. For one class, I pretty much have no say in what goes into the assignment therefore I am dependent on whatever crap that my classmates want to turn in. I understand that collaboration is important, but I did not anticipate every paper to be group work. I don't know if I can stand it although I really wanted to get started working with pregnant women. Also, I'm really taking a gamble with my GPA by taking the midwifery courses since I have lost control of my grades to other people. I'm also a quarter of the way through a master's degree in European history. Would you guys just ditch the midwifery courses and focus on finishing premed requirements and finish the history degree? How do you guys handle group work where you are left to deal with whatever group that you are assigned to or is does this school just sound ridiculous?

I've never given up on something that I really wanted like this, but if I jeopordize my future education, I don't know if it is so wise to continue with midwifery.

If you're part of the group, how do you have no say in what the group writes?

Anyway, I would have no problem asking the group to check the paper over before it is turned in. If you're not around when they write it, have them email it to you. Or just tell them to start on it, and offer to finish it up.

Everything is online. The two other people are from KY. There is one person who had two papers done before the start of the class. He thinks that my APA is incorrect when it is not. I have done the first two papers on my own so I can at least say that I did something, however he refuses to use any of the work. The teacher doesn't care because it is part of trying to get along with everyone that people need to learn. I don't mind other people doing all of the work, however I think that their work is shoddy. I hate having my name on something that is crappy. I'm also not really impressed with my other classmates in terms of their writing capabilities so it is difficult to produce one paper split between 2-3 people. I think that I wrote better papers in when I was a teenager than these clowns. Yikes, I'm being mean now. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Group work really is the pits. It never, ever made things easier in my experience. I was a business major so I had group projects all the time. And the majority of the time it'd be me and one other person that gave a damn, and then 2-3 people that can barely spell their name basically cruising their way to their grade on our backs. I've never been as angry and unhappy as I was in group work. Taking my science prereqs has been a breath of fresh air because I don't have to worry about that bullsheet.

My post wasn't meant to offer any constructive advice. Rather, I'm just letting you know that you're not alone. Group work ****ing sucks, and there are few things more infuriating than getting stuck with people that will not carry their weight, or even attempt to for that matter. They should be taken out in the parking lot and caned.

Group work ****ing sucks, and there are few things more infuriating than getting stuck with people that will not carry their weight, or even attempt to for that matter. They should be taken out in the parking lot and caned.

You've hit the nail on the head about group work assignments. I don't mind it if the prof has you do non-graded group work in class for learning purposes but all graded assignments are individually produced and graded. In my opinion, graded group work is for lazy profs who don't want to grade as many papers/presentations.

I'm glad that you guys feel the same way about group work. Everyone else at the school seems to really like it. My husband (the engineer who had mostly group work for his degree) pretty much told me to suck it up. I have no problem working with others in my physics and biology labs or even in the team environment at work, however when grades come into play....er....I want to be graded separately.

I had 2 grad-level biology classes that required group work. It's friggin awesome when you have the entire group who was passionate about the topic. You really get a polished product if a lot of people contribute, and it really makes things easier.

This sort of situation is rare in undergrad though.

I can see how collaboration can produce an awesome product when the right people get together. Unfortunately the people in my group are unequally yoked in all areas. It would be nice if I could choose my partners. Maybe my professors like to see Skyped bloodshed, though.