How do you keep motivated to 'read' after shifts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slowpoke

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Realizing that after I get home from a shift (I'm on family medicine right now), all I really want to do is watch youtube videos, browse reddit and relax. For those of you who are able to get work done after your clinic duties, what sorts of things do you do to keep motivated so that you just don't lounge around?

Members don't see this ad.

Part of it is being in clinic and finding my weak spots. Not knowing a diagnosis or plan, etc.
This is especially true when I did inpatient. If I wasn't familiar with a patients disease, I'd review that ****. I don't want to be the one who's all "oh, no idea, whatever I'll just follow the residents plan."
The other part is when I do questions and suck at them.
Lastly,
Seriously. You don't have to study hours on end every day. Just refresh yourself on things you don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can't study at home, then don't go straight home. Stay at the clinic/hospital for an extra hour or two and study in a call room/lounge. Or go to a coffee shop or library if that's more your speed.

You won't be tempted to unwind if you don't feel like your work day is over yet.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Make time to study during the day, there were very few rotations where I didn't end up having breaks while the preceptor was doing something or when patients didn't want students in the room, etc. Have a book or iPad in your pocket and use those breaks to read instead of playing around on your phone or socializing. I often got 1-2 hours of reading in per day doing this.