how do you let some steam off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdrew267

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as interns, I feel that we are all past the idealistic, sunshine up your butt, stage and solidly into the grit of our first years. We are now ankle-deep in the slop that can define residency as most of us at this point, have gotten our self-esteem thrown into the gutter a few times by now and stepped on a few times for good measure. From passive-agressive bosses to staff experiences that just want to make you want to drink your life away, it's clear that the fun has just begun for all of us.

With that in mind, I was wondering what everyone else out there is doing to let off steam, trying to stay sane, and keeping their head clear and focused. For myself, I know that it's really easy to slip into just being angry all the time and hey, that's not going to make any fans out of friends, family, or patients. As a disclaimer, I haven't figured out at all how to do this by the way...

Members don't see this ad.

So as interns, I feel that we are all past the idealistic, sunshine up your butt, stage and solidly into the grit of our first years. We are now ankle-deep in the slop that can define residency as most of us at this point, have gotten our self-esteem thrown into the gutter a few times by now and stepped on a few times for good measure. From passive-agressive bosses to staff experiences that just want to make you want to drink your life away, it's clear that the fun has just begun for all of us.

With that in mind, I was wondering what everyone else out there is doing to let off steam, trying to stay sane, and keeping their head clear and focused. For myself, I know that it's really easy to slip into just being angry all the time and hey, that's not going to make any fans out of friends, family, or patients. As a disclaimer, I haven't figured out at all how to do this by the way...

I take it out on the interns.:D

Honestly, I think its important to make time to exercise. For me, it's 2-3 days/week in the gym and then b-ball 1x/week. It seems hard to find time to do this, but you just have to become more efficient, even in the gym.

High stress, overworked fields are at greater risk of this. I think that trying to get some work outs in on a regular basis, eat healthy, sleep etc all sound great in theory. But how realistic is it?

Some high yield things are good to have as back up as well:
-batting cages (great for venting)
-if you get the chance to sleep for >8 hours, take it.
-utilize your vacation... well. dont' be afraid to go away by yourself if necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
exercise/jogging

at least one night per week have a nice dinner out w/ beer/ wine

Just keep repeating "Serenity Now...Serenity now..."

So everyone keeps telling us how important it is to take some "me time" every now and then. But how do people find time for themselves if they've got a family with kids and a spouse who won't stop complaining about the inordinate amount of time on the job?

So everyone keeps telling us how important it is to take some "me time" every now and then. But how do people find time for themselves if they've got a family with kids and a spouse who won't stop complaining about the inordinate amount of time on the job?

Get involved in a social activity that requires (a) a monetary commitment and (b) a designated time commitment. The monetary commitment is important because (at least for me) it makes me participate in it rather than just deciding to stay home. The designated time commitment is good because it can make it a thing of routine. The gym is great for the first one, but not so much for the second. Playing basketball like SLUser is good, because it tells your spouse exactly what day and time you will be away and you paid to be in the league, so you don't want to waste money (especially on a resident's salary). Encourage your spouse to get involved in their own activities as well. I play in a softball league once a week and take aikido (haven't been in a while, unfortunately) once a week. My wife goes to her yoga class and then takes our baby to gymboree a couple of times a week. Each activity lasts about an hour and gives you time to get away from work and family.

One word...... BEER!! :laugh:

Seriously, I know about having the wife & kids bugging me when post call to go out and do something. You have to use them as your strength. Take time for them, but don't forget about yourself. They should understand that sometimes you just need an hour of so alone. Send them to the movies on your day off, that way you have a few hours by yourself, then you can spend the rest of the day with them! The kids like it as they get to see a movie....AND spend time with you after (plus you don't have to sit through 2 hours of Hanna Montanna or whatever crap kids like now).

Family can be a hinderance, but you can turn that into a strength that drives you. It is only 5 years, and after you will have much more time with them and allow youself to provide them with a really good lifestyle.

And if that fails.....add beer! :laugh: Sorry....post-call and finally have a weekend off for the first time in 3 weeks and looking foward to going out.

My $0.02

call room nookie