How do you pay for your education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tartaufraise

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Without much probing/crossing the line of privacy, I'm curious on how most of pharmacy students pay for their tuition, knowing that probably most won't be able to work full-time. I plan to work part-time and in the process of applying for internship license but for P3-P4 I see myself starting to look for student loan of some sort. In addition, I'm a bit worry of not getting any internship position at all because the area may be saturated with current students who are working as interns as well.

Honestly, I much rather finishing off my degree part-time for 10 years while working part-time/full-time and supporting myself, but I don't think my program will allow it.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much everyone takes out loans every year. There are a few exceptions, but most people are in debt up to their eyeballs by the time I get out. Personally I'll be in for around 120K.

Members don't see this ad :)
In Canada, the schools are a lot cheaper, with a few exceptions in the US like the University of Florida (in-state). I think Requiem goes to a Candian pharmacy school.

we prefer "less expensive"

Loans. Loans. Loans.

I work part-time, but it's just for experience and so I can buy fun stuff....like wine. I certainly don't pay any bills with my paychecks.

Anyone re-finance their house & took some out for the loan? That's what I think I'm going to do with mine, rather than dipping into my Roth IRA/retirement savings. I wonder how wise of a decision this is.. I don't want to end up with piles of debt after school :(

I am taking loans for school and cost of living, and will have piles of debt when I get out. I keep telling myself it will all be worth it in the end!

where do u work if you din't mind?

DrugDealer said:
Loans. Loans. Loans.

I work part-time, but it's just for experience and so I can buy fun stuff....like wine. I certainly don't pay any bills with my paychecks.

tartaufraise said:
Without much probing/crossing the line of privacy, I'm curious on how most of pharmacy students pay for their tuition, knowing that probably most won't be able to work full-time. I plan to work part-time and in the process of applying for internship license but for P3-P4 I see myself starting to look for student loan of some sort. In addition, I'm a bit worry of not getting any internship position at all because the area may be saturated with current students who are working as interns as well.

Honestly, I much rather finishing off my degree part-time for 10 years while working part-time/full-time and supporting myself, but I don't think my program will allow it.

When I was in school, it was school loans all the way. Loans paid for school, housing, food, everthing. I worked like 4 to 8 hrs per week. When I finished schhol, i was like $87000 in debt. If you consolidate the loans payemts will be low.

My wife writes the checks for school. After I get out I'll be writing the checks for her new Mercedes and European vacation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who's paying? I haven't had any of my student loans disburse and actually post to my account. The good thing is that I can point to the finaid office when administration comes to collect.

My undergraduate was paid for by scholarships. For pharmacy school, I will need about $80,000 for tuition alone. I plan on paying for that with money I have saved up when I used to work, my parents, and subisidized loans; I'm not gonna take out loans that charge interest. I'll just borrow from my parents interest free. :)

Paid 4 years of USC tuition by working as a male stripper..

j/k

Loans, loans and more loans. Got 14k in loans this semester. Using 5k of it to pay for tuition and saving 9k in a 5.15% Emigrant Direct savings account for me to use next year. I'll be moving out so my apartment or condo costs will eat up my entire savings. :(

90K in debt from pharm school alone. undergrad was all free with scholarships. have on more year to borrow still hopfully only 20 more. :eek:

Yes, indeed, paying parents are no less admirable than working for loans or scholarships :thumbup: considering perhaps most of the Pharm. students are perhaps low-mid 20ies and below 30 y.o. I guess I'm just a grumpy old lady who, sad to say, have to start thinking of taking care of my parents, instead of the other way around :D Just the fact of life, I guess...

Yes, indeed, paying parents are no less admirable than working for loans or scholarships :thumbup: considering perhaps most of the Pharm. students are perhaps low-mid 20ies and below 30 y.o. I guess I'm just a grumpy old lady who, sad to say, have to start thinking of taking care of my parents, instead of the other way around :D Just the fact of life, I guess...

I happen to think that paying parents are a lot less admirable. Those students whose parents foot the bill for their school do not have to suffer the long hours of work after the school day is over. they have more time to study and participate in other activities-must be nice. AND they will not owe gobbs of money when they are done. They get their full salary to flaunt and support the already elevated status their parents have given to them. Sorry, having a bitter day and i'm 90 K in the hole, so the parents may be admirable in that they are willing to pay, but the students do not get any extra admiration from me.

I happen to think that paying parents are a lot less admirable. Those students whose parents foot the bill for their school do not have to suffer the long hours of work after the school day is over. they have more time to study and participate in other activities-must be nice. AND they will not owe gobbs of money when they are done. They get their full salary to flaunt and support the already elevated status their parents have given to them. Sorry, having a bitter day and i'm 90 K in the hole, so the parents may be admirable in that they are willing to pay, but the students do not get any extra admiration from me.

My parents wanted me to quit my job. I've been working for the past 6 years (I'm 22),and I basically pay for everything on my own, except utility bills for their house. Their house is paid off, so they don't have mortgage payments.
Now that I'm in pharmacy school, they don't want work to get in the way of my studies, because they know this is my future career. I will definitely pay my parents back once I graduate and make some money. I will also pay for their bills when I save up some money after I graduate, I plan on taking care of them like they have been doing for me my whole life. I want them to have a break off from working full time. It's not like I'm taking their money, I have full intentions on paying them every single penny back, plus more.

My parents wanted me to quit my job. I've been working for the past 6 years (I'm 22),and I basically pay for everything on my own, except utility bills for their house. Their house is paid off, so they don't have mortgage payments.
Now that I'm in pharmacy school, they don't want work to get in the way of my studies, because they know this is my future career. I will definitely pay my parents back once I graduate and make some money. I will also pay for their bills when I save up some money after I graduate, I plan on taking care of them like they have been doing for me my whole life. I want them to have a break off from working full time. It's not like I'm taking their money, I have full intentions on paying them every single penny back, plus more.

i think you are lucky to have this situation. i don't hold it against you AT ALL. While I wouldn't say that i admire you as much as someone who has to go to work (after long school days) and has to pay off the creditors 80 thousand dollars of free money (b/c of high interest rates) to pay for their school, I do envy your luck.

Paid 4 years of USC tuition by working as a male stripper..

j/k

i was starting to think of this as a viable option :p

year 1 of debt has me stressing out over finding a job!