How do you people do it?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, it seems like med school really tests your (mind/body) strength and perseverence.. so my 2 questions are: Have you encountered any obstacles (ie tragedy, distractions, etc) that make it hard for you to even barely keep from failing out? and What do you do to cope or stay "afloat"? Med students look so normal and calm on the outside, I don't know how you people do it...!

Members don't see this ad.

Well if you want to know about distractions.... My 15 month old ended up with chicken pox last week so couldn't go to daycare. I was sick as well, but only sick enough that I couldn't study very well. We had a pretty bad ice storm last week and my husband totaled our car, which we had only insured with liability and comprehensive.
All of this and I had an exam last Friday.
I did fine, but I feel pretty good about my ability to "roll with the punches". I figure **** happens, and if I expect life to be all rosy, I'll be disapointed. I'm blessed that my husband came out of the accident with just a stiff neck. Things certainly can be worse than having to buy a car that we can't afford. We'll manage.

From what I've read, it seems like med school really tests your (mind/body) strength and perseverence.. so my 2 questions are: Have you encountered any obstacles (ie tragedy, distractions, etc) that make it hard for you to even barely keep from failing out? and What do you do to cope or stay "afloat"? Med students look so normal and calm on the outside, I don't know how you people do it...!

In my first year of med school I ended a serious long distance relationship, lost my grandfather the day before a final, and my grandmother the day of an exam (I postponed that one...but took the final on time). Now that I'm a 2nd year life had slowed down a little bit until my mom was diagnosed with some potentially serious health problems.

I am pretty good (usually) at compartmentalizing my emotions and focusing on the task at hand, which got me through last year. If I have to, I give myself a time limit on moping for the day - and force myself to return to my To Do list after that time has passed. Most of my classmates would tell you that I seem "normal" and "calm" but my close friends would testify to the inner turmoil I've been experiencing recently. I've probably told 4 people total exactly what's going on in my life and they've been as supportive as their own busy schedules allow - which has really helped.

With that said - life doesn't wait for you to finish med school. As I always say, "If you want to make G-d laugh, make a plan" and as one SDNer has reminded me on more than one occasion, "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans."

Each of the challenges I've encountered has made me a stronger person in the end, and I can only assume that this most recent development will have the same effect.

Noelle - sounds like you have a ton of challenges recently. Keep your chin up. This, too, shall pass!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah,

Last year, my grandmother died right around the same time as my childcare fell apart. My wife was also simultaneously caught up in a beauracratic mess which resulted in her going to work to be threatened by high school kids that were twice her size (The joys of the Miami-Dade County School System). This of course was right after Hurricane Wilma destroyed like 10 counties.

We've all got problems. Don't forget about them. In time, you just learn to live with them. Don't let it stress you out too badly. Don't worry about perfect scores or even good scores. During the bad times, just do what you need to do to get by. Make it up when times are better.

Good Luck

I echo that sentiment of the great John Lennon, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..." --Beautiful Boy

The real answer is that many people struggle much more than they appear to. Students struggle with mental and physical illnesses, drug and alcohol abuse, and other life problems. I think there is an assumption in medicine that patients are ill and doctors are supposed to be healthy, strong and to put the needs of their patients before their own. Many students and doctors conform to this mold and try to hide their emotions and look "normal and calm". It's amazing though, when one person starts talking about things they are struggling with all of the sudden everyone starts talking about their own issues, which is good. We may be med students or doctors, but we are human beings and it shouldn't be a sign of weakness to acknowledge that we sometimes need help too.

Med students look so normal and calm on the outside, I don't know how you people do it...!
We like to make it sound worse than it is. :D I rolled out of bed at 11:30 and had breakfast with my hot wife. I studied for a bit, now I'm on SDN (at school), and then I'll study again, go work out, and study some more. Other days.....can be miserable. It all depends. I'm not at the top of my class, but I'm over the average on everything.

Med students look so normal and calm on the outside, I don't know how you people do it...!

Not all medical students look normal.

I'm a 4th year now and honestly don't know how I got through. I still managed to work out regularly, which was basically the only thing I did outside of medical school, but I'm certainly glad it's almost over and will be even happier when I get out.

Stick to your guns, it actually went by very fast.

A girl in my class had her first child last thursday night. She was in the gross lab studying on sunday. The only way she could top that (without going overboard) would be to have had the kid with her in the lab :)

A girl in my class had her first child last thursday night. She was in the gross lab studying on sunday. The only way she could top that (without going overboard) would be to have had the kid with her in the lab :)

studying in the gross lab while pregnant...great. hope her baby wasn't born embalmed.

Essentially medical school is what you make of it. I promised myself that I wouldn't let this career path become the all-consuming focus of my life. Although at times it has become that, I do my best to set aside quality time with a good beer, the few non-med student friends that I have left, my family and my girlfriend. I'm not Junior AOA material, but at least I have my soul and sanity left.

Essentially medical school is what you make of it. I promised myself that I wouldn't let this career path become the all-consuming focus of my life.
Good sense! I run a computer dealership for fun and to have something else to do.

In my first year of med school I ended a serious long distance relationship, lost my grandfather the day before a final, and my grandmother the day of an exam (I postponed that one...but took the final on time). Now that I'm a 2nd year life had slowed down a little bit until my mom was diagnosed with some potentially serious health problems.

I am pretty good (usually) at compartmentalizing my emotions and focusing on the task at hand, which got me through last year. If I have to, I give myself a time limit on moping for the day - and force myself to return to my To Do list after that time has passed. Most of my classmates would tell you that I seem "normal" and "calm" but my close friends would testify to the inner turmoil I've been experiencing recently. I've probably told 4 people total exactly what's going on in my life and they've been as supportive as their own busy schedules allow - which has really helped.

With that said - life doesn't wait for you to finish med school. As I always say, "If you want to make G-d laugh, make a plan" and as one SDNer has reminded me on more than one occasion, "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans."

Each of the challenges I've encountered has made me a stronger person in the end, and I can only assume that this most recent development will have the same effect.

Noelle - sounds like you have a ton of challenges recently. Keep your chin up. This, too, shall pass!!!

Great Post:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: