How do you review your practice tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after I'm done with my practices, I always go through the questions. Anytime there's a equation that I forgot, I write it down. For the PS and BS, this method seems to be working. But verbal...what's a good way to review that? How do you avoid making the same mistakes again?
Ohh and how long should we be spending looking over each test? It's been taking me about 2-3 hours.

Members don't see this ad.

I spend about 2-3x longer to review my practice problems than it takes to do the practice problems. While analyzing, these are some of the questions I ask:

1. What technique did I use? Why did it work/not work? How can I improve it?
2. Was I under any time pressure?
3. Why did I get this question wrong/right? Was it content?
4. What was the author thinking when he/she made this problem? How were they trying to trip me up?
5. Is there any type of problem I miss more frequently?
6. Why do I miss that type?
7. Were there any choices I should have eliminated right away?
8. Did the passage confuse me and if so, why?

I spend about 2-3x longer to review my practice problems than it takes to do the practice problems. While analyzing, these are some of the questions I ask:

1. What technique did I use? Why did it work/not work? How can I improve it?
2. Was I under any time pressure?
3. Why did I get this question wrong/right? Was it content?
4. What was the author thinking when he/she made this problem? How were they trying to trip me up?
5. Is there any type of problem I miss more frequently?
6. Why do I miss that type?
7. Were there any choices I should have eliminated right away?
8. Did the passage confuse me and if so, why?
Wow...thank you! I haven't been spending enough time with my practice tests. Do you think it's worth it to go through this for the non-aamc tests (kaplan, tpr, etc)? I don't think the verbal (which is my main concern) is very representative in the kaplan tests...so I've been skipping the review for that section. Bad idea?

You should definitely do some review of non-aamc problems, or else you will make the same mistakes the second time. Maybe, just spend less time doing it.

I find that I get worn out after reviewing one section, so I like to take breaks in between. I try to look at every problem, which is why it takes so long - around 3hrs. I also like to look back at my old tests while lying in bed, not taking notes or anything, just reminicing on why I got problems wrong, while relaxing.

Members don't see this ad :)
It takes me about a day and a half to go through each practice test. But I go through each problem and write down why each answer is wrong and why an answer is right. I do this even with questions I got right. Just to make sure I am getting them right for the right reasons. Seems to be working really well for me. I have been improving about 3-4 points on each test. For the verbal I go through and do the same thing. It takes a long time...but for me it works!

jgberken:

Definitely analyze all of your practice material, yes, even the non-AAMC verbal material. I think it is the analysis of practice problems that yields the greatest score improvement.