How does amcas calculate Ws and retroactive withdrawals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mjolner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it calculate it in as a F? Are the QPoints counted?

Members don't see this ad.

Does it calculate it in as a F? Are the QPoints counted?
A W won't factor into your GPA. If it is marked as "withdraw, failing," on the transcript I don't know what they do with that. Any retroactive withdraw that shows up on your transcripts as a W will be counted as a withdraw, meaning not counted toward your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Do the W credit hours count to your over GPA calculation without their grades?

How do -/+ grades get factored into AMCAS? Or do they just calculate using the A/B/C/D/F scale?

What's a retroactive withdrawal? You took a class, didn't do well and had your school not count the grade?

These are pretty rare, but if something REALLY serious happened to you during the course of the semester or quarter, and you were somehow unable to withdraw during that term, then you are SOMETIME granted a retroactive withdrawal, depending on how your petition is viewed.

+ is 0.3 higher, - is 0.3 lower.

B+ = 3.3
A- = 3.7
Ah, damn. That's how my school does it, too.

On an A/B/C/D/F scale, I have over a 3.95 c/sGPA, whereas on the +/- scale I have a 3.85 c/sGPA :oops:

These are pretty rare, but if something REALLY serious happened to you during the course of the semester or quarter, and you were somehow unable to withdraw during that term, then you are SOMETIME granted a retroactive withdrawal, depending on how your petition is viewed.

Fair enough I suppose. I'm just kind of skeptical because I keep on hearing about kids taking w's in slightly harder classes because they're going to get grades they don't like. This kind of thing was unthinkable when I did my first undergrad- you got what you got, period.

Fair enough I suppose. I'm just kind of skeptical because I keep on hearing about kids taking w's in slightly harder classes because they're going to get grades they don't like. This kind of thing was unthinkable when I did my first undergrad- you got what you got, period.

That is how it has always been for me too.:thumbup:

At my university there was a process for doing this, but it was an "all or nothing" sort of thing. You could get a retroactive grade cancellation in extreme circumstances, but every grade for the semester changed to W. You couldn't cherry pick.