How does dismissal from previous medical school school affect my chance of admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drewskinator

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I agree it will depend on the application profile. What have you been doing since you were dismissed from medical school? Where are you a state resident? Did the medical school you attended have a dental school?

I would not take the DAT until you talk with admissions professionals at dental schools where you want to attend (to make sure this is viable). It's not impossible, but we are raising questions our faculty will ask us. The DAT is different from the MCAT, and there is no equivalent to the PAT on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree it will depend on the application profile. What have you been doing since you were dismissed from medical school? Where are you a state resident? Did the medical school you attended have a dental school?

I would not take the DAT until you talk with admissions professionals at dental schools where you want to attend (to make sure this is viable). It's not impossible, but we are raising questions our faculty will ask us. The DAT is different from the MCAT, and there is no equivalent to the PAT on the MCAT.
I believe they scored a 24 on the DAT according to their post

Regardless, OP, I think it will be difficult. You’re going to have to convince adcoms that dentistry is the right fit for you but also that you won’t be dismissed from their program either. It’s a risk. I would reach out to programs and see what they say

Reactions: 1 user

The school didn’t have a dental school attached…it was a very new school that wasn’t very established. Part of the reason I struggled being there.

I already took the DAT as mentioned. What is the best means of communicating with admission professionals? Should I do it at most school I apply to?

Also for my PS should I focus it more on why dentistry or discuss my past as a medical student?

I believe they scored a 24 on the DAT according to their post

Regardless, OP, I think it will be difficult. You’re going to have to convince adcoms that dentistry is the right fit for you but also that you won’t be dismissed from their program either. It’s a risk. I would reach out to programs and see what they say
Thanks for your answer. I know it is an uphill battle, sadly. Do you think I should focus my personal statement on explaining this part of my life or focus it more on why I want dentistry?

Thanks for your answer. I know it is an uphill battle, sadly. Do you think I should focus my personal statement on explaining this part of my life or focus it more on why I want dentistry?
I wouldn't use your personal statement to explain what happened, the prompt is "why dentistry" not, "why do you want to pursue dentistry after not getting through medical school?". You should emphasize the dental field and what you have done to show that you now know dentistry is the right path for you.

You will be able to explain in another essay (academic difficulties I believe) where you could possibly mention the medical school. Otherwise, if you get an interview you will most certainly be asked. I would advise that you don't blame anyone for being dismissed and that you take accountability for yourself and explain how you've been working hard to show that this now is the right path for you.

What have you done since being dismissed to show you want to go to dental school? Have you shadowed, volunteered in a clinic, or helped assist a dentist? My worry is that you will have difficulty convincing admissions that this isn't just a "plan B" since some medical students think dentistry is easier than medical school...maybe in some ways but not in others. It's a misconception and you will be challenged in ways you weren't while in medical school. So, if you really want to do this, you'll want to make sure your experiences and letters reflect that about you. What do you plan on saying for the manual dexterity prompt? Do you mind sharing your PAT score from the DAT? The AA doesn't use PAT in the score as it's separate.

You could try to apply this cycle, but it's possible it doesn't lead to anything as that is the risk of being already dismissed from a professional school. But if this is something you truly want to pursue, then make it happen.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't use your personal statement to explain what happened, the prompt is "why dentistry" not, "why do you want to pursue dentistry after not getting through medical school?". You should emphasize the dental field and what you have done to show that you now know dentistry is the right path for you.
Yes, that makes sense!
You will be able to explain in another essay (academic difficulties I believe) where you could possibly mention the medical school. Otherwise, if you get an interview you will most certainly be asked. I would advise that you don't blame anyone for being dismissed and that you take accountability for yourself and explain how you've been working hard to show that this now is the right path for you.
Of course, I plan on being honest about my struggles and why dentistry is a fit for me at the end of the day. I have been shadowing 2 dentists since my dismissal and have been spending a lot of time talking to other dental students about their experiences.
What do you plan on saying for the manual dexterity prompt? Do you mind sharing your PAT score from the DAT? The AA doesn't use PAT in the score as it's separate.
I've always been a hands on problem solver, I fix computers for a side hustle and am a bike mechanic, both requiring pretty good manual dexterity and skills. PAT was 20.
You could try to apply this cycle, but it's possible it doesn't lead to anything as that is the risk of being already dismissed from a professional school. But if this is something you truly want to pursue, then make it happen.
I really do want this, so I am trying to make it known to schools that I am capable to succeeding. I just want to know the best way to let them know! :)

The school didn’t have a dental school attached…it was a very new school that wasn’t very established. Part of the reason I struggled being there.
How new? Are we talking provisional accreditation, not eligible for federal loans new?

I already took the DAT as mentioned. What is the best means of communicating with admission professionals? Should I do it at most school I apply to?
Email or phone call would be good. I would start with the closest school or the ones where you think you have the strongest mission fit. Set up a Zoom/online meeting.

Also for my PS should I focus it more on why dentistry or discuss my past as a medical student?
Why dentistry. You'll get your chance to talk about your troubles as a medical student, after you chat with the admissions recruiters.

Hello all.

Since graduating undergrad, I applied to medical school, with pressure from parents and family and ended up attending a school. I quickly realized that it wasn't for me, but tried to push through. I always considered dental school as an ideal career for me but was steered away from it for whatever reasons. Anyway, I didn't do well and was dismissed from my school for failing 2 courses in my first year. Combining the constant anxiety about not really wanting to be there along with being thrust into a rigorous academic setting, it was a really hard time for me.

Following dismissal, I spent some time away and really thought about my next steps and decided that I wanted to give dental a real shot. I ended up taking the DAT and scored a 24.

I am working on applying this cycle, however, I do have concerns regarding my dismissal affecting my chances of admission. I'd like to emphasize that dental school is not a backup or alternate route, but something I really wanted to do from the start but was convinced otherwise...back when I was younger and more naive. In my application it asks if I was had received academic discipline, which I plan on replying yes to. Is there any advice or words of caution for me as I maneuver this next step in my life?

Thanks
I think you have a good chance. I mean there are people who got in with like 18AA and 3.2 GPA so then why would adcoms not give you a chance? People make mistakes and some realize they may not be cut out for med schools and want to get into something that is generally easier to get into without repeating a lot of the pre-reqs. There's nothing wrong with that. I had classmates who flunked out of dental school and got into pharmacy and law schools and finished with no problem. Another one voluntarily dropped out because he didn't like the lab aspect of dentistry. He got into med school the following year. You can't assume someone is gonna flunk out at another professional school just because it happened to him/her once. Med school is considered the hardest professional school to get into in the medical field and dental schools know that.

I am assuming your GPA is good since you got into med school and with a DAT of 24(99th percentile) you should have a good shot. It's not like you got kicked out of med school for cheating or other ethical reasons.

Last edited:
I think you have a good chance. I mean there are people who got in with like 18AA and 3.2 GPA so then why would adcoms not give you a chance? People make mistakes and some realize they may not be cut out for med schools and want to get into something that is generally easier to get into without repeating a lot of the pre-reqs. There's nothing wrong with that. I had classmates who flunked out of dental school and got into pharmacy and law schools and finished with no problem. Another one voluntarily dropped out because he didn't like the lab aspect of dentistry. He got into med school the following year. You can't assume someone is gonna flunk out at another professional school just because it happened to him/her once. Med school is considered the hardest professional school to get into in the medical field and dental schools know that.

I am assuming your GPA is good since you got into med school and with a DAT of 24(99th percentile) you should have a good shot. It's not like you got kicked out of med school for cheating or other ethical reasons.
Thank you for giving me some motivation. It's nice to know the cards aren't all stacked against me.