How does Dry Cell Battery Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that electrons flow from the anode to the cathode. Here, from this picture, it would seem like electrons flow from the outside (where the anode is) to the cathode (core)?

But does this only happen at the top and bottom of the battery where they possibly come into contact? (I'm not sure where exactly they contact)?

Also, how do you ensure that the top is positive and the bottom is negative using this setup?

dry-cell-battery-600.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any reason why you are using this graphic? For MCAT purposes this is not the best pic to understand Redox problems with a battery. Are you trying to understand this picture specifically or the concepts being tested?

@America

Nah, I just found a random image on google. Feel free to use something else.

I'm trying to understand how a standard dry cell battery works. Is this one not standard (I have no idea)?

Members don't see this ad :)
@America

Nah, I just found a random image on google. Feel free to use something else.

I'm trying to understand how a standard dry cell battery works. Is this one not standard (I have no idea)?

This pic is much better. For MCAT purposes you should consider the 2 following types of cells: Galvanic & Electrolytic.

*Galvanic=battery=voltaic. Anytime you see the words: "salt bridge, battery or voltaic" think Galvanic cell.
*In a Galvanic cell, free energy released is converted into electrical energy.

*For any Galvanic cells the following must be true:
∆G = negative. --This means 1/2 rxn must be spontaneous
E°cell = must be positive, (b/c you are generating energy)
oxidation occurs at the anode (An Ox)
reduction
occus at the cathode (Red Cat)
electrons move from the anode towards the cathode (reduction is gaining electrons, OIL RIG)
cations move towards the positively charged cathode
anions move towards the negatively charged anode