How does one get a residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Possible Pod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this might be kind of a dumb question, but how does one get selected or select a residency for that matter? Coming out of podiatry school, does a person have to do the three year residency? I am looking at how old I will be by the time I finish a residency, and that seems like a long ways away....
I am asking because I am from the western half of the US all of my family is on this side of the states. I am hoping that if I go to an east-coast school, I could somehow get into a residency on the western side of the US. Soooooooo many questions, but I wont ask them all at once. :)
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

:p

Last edited:
There is a match system in place to attain a residency for Podiatry much like in Allopathic medical school. I would do a google search for "podiatry residency match" or something of the sort and browse the hits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go anywhere you want, it does not affect your chances of getting into a residency program of your desired state, however, if you already are certain that you want to be in a specific town to practice when you come out, i suggest you go to the apma website, look up the residency list for the hospitals you want to work in, look at their prereqs, then go to their website and look for their list of current podiatric residents. For example, I know at temple hospital, they say they're open to all students, but they historically take only temple students because those students often have already done an externship at the hospital and know how the hospital works (although it doesn't mean you can't get an externship at temple outside of TUSPM and still get residency there).

Normally residency directors just want to make sure you pass your boards and that you have a personality that is teachable. Top-notch students have been rejected due to attitude, it has happened.