How does one "network" with dental schools of interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slueman33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope you all are doing well!

I wanted to reach out in regards to how one may go about "networking" with ad comms at a dental school of interest.

There are 3 in state dental schools in my area, two of which are in close proximity to myself.

These schools are highly desirable for me to attend, as my parents are getting older and sick, and frankly, I would do ANYTHING to be able to remain in their vicinity. They are super important to me, and I want to stick around for them.

In this regard, these dental schools are obviously very top choice. (UIC and Midwestern IL if you are curious)

Now I know my interest in attending their school probably matters very little to them, but I want to do anything I can to meet them.

My undergraduate is quite the story. Took 8 years to graduate (in my last semester) and had a total re-invention. Lots of credits, but the past 60-70 hours have been all of the tough, upper level pre-reqs and upper level sciences (think physical chem, immuno, biochem, molecular bio, etc.). A 3.92 gpa for these past 60-70 hours/2 years of coursework. On top of that, lots of EC's, and etc. The point is, my GPA will not be competitive at face value (3.0ish), but anyone that cared to take a closer look, would see immense improvement. Yes, I understand DAT is everything, and I have high hopes for what it is worth. Test is within a month or two.

That being said, how do I let them know my "story", why I want to be there, and why my experiences align with their mission, etc., without actually have applied yet.

I am willing to knock on whoever's office door at 5AM if need be. I am very committed to meeting with someone connected, and would be willing to jump through whatever hoops necessary. I doubt even networking with them will be that impactful, but I still feel like I couldn't hurt?

On the UIC website for example, there are two admissions directors for the school, but no one else seemingly. What can I do with that information.

I am obviously not looking to beg, just to talk about my experiences and to get a gist of what it will take for me to get in.

I really, REALLY, want to get to these schools, and let them know I am extremely driven.

Please let me know any advice.

Thank you all so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hope you all are doing well!

I wanted to reach out in regards to how one may go about "networking" with ad comms at a dental school of interest.

There are 3 in state dental schools in my area, two of which are in close proximity to myself.

These schools are highly desirable for me to attend, as my parents are getting older and sick, and frankly, I would do ANYTHING to be able to remain in their vicinity. They are super important to me, and I want to stick around for them.

In this regard, these dental schools are obviously very top choice. (UIC and Midwestern IL if you are curious)

Now I know my interest in attending their school probably matters very little to them, but I want to do anything I can to meet them.

My undergraduate is quite the story. Took 8 years to graduate (in my last semester) and had a total re-invention. Lots of credits, but the past 60-70 hours have been all of the tough, upper level pre-reqs and upper level sciences (think physical chem, immuno, biochem, molecular bio, etc.). A 3.92 gpa for these past 60-70 hours/2 years of coursework. On top of that, lots of EC's, and etc. The point is, my GPA will not be competitive at face value (3.0ish), but anyone that cared to take a closer look, would see immense improvement. Yes, I understand DAT is everything, and I have high hopes for what it is worth. Test is within a month or two.

That being said, how do I let them know my "story", why I want to be there, and why my experiences align with their mission, etc., without actually have applied yet.

I am willing to knock on whoever's office door at 5AM if need be. I am very committed to meeting with someone connected, and would be willing to jump through whatever hoops necessary. I doubt even networking with them will be that impactful, but I still feel like I couldn't hurt?

On the UIC website for example, there are two admissions directors for the school, but no one else seemingly. What can I do with that information.

I am obviously not looking to beg, just to talk about my experiences and to get a gist of what it will take for me to get in.

I really, REALLY, want to get to these schools, and let them know I am extremely driven.

Please let me know any advice.

Thank you all so much!!
attend any and all events at the school, online or in person
volunteer or shadow at the schools
reach out to the admissions office, and ask them politely if someone could meet with them after admissions season is over to go over your stats and give you any tips to improve your application for the upcoming cycle

it helps to show interest
some/most schools will have an "encounter report" that goes into your file whenever you interact with them...

Reactions: 2 users
attend any and all events at the school, online or in person
volunteer or shadow at the schools
reach out to the admissions office, and ask them politely if someone could meet with them after admissions season is over to go over your stats and give you any tips to improve your application for the upcoming cycle

it helps to show interest
some/most schools will have an "encounter report" that goes into your file whenever you interact with them...
Yep go to everything at the school. look for ASDA, SNDA, and any other student organizations at the schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you go/Have you gone to the Midwinter conference in Chicago? How about the ADEA GoDental Recruitment Fair (in-person or virtual)?

As my colleagues pointed out, contact the officers with ASDA, SNDA, or HDA. I'm guessing the student orgs may have IG accounts.

If you are not ready to apply, find out if there are summer research opportunities or academic enrichment programs.

Also, don't forget the dentists you have shadowed, and hopefully they can also get you to meet state dental association members. ADA has a vested interest in promoting dentistry as well.

Reactions: 1 user