How does one search for low-tier programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovebes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am an FMG with a less than stellar Step I score, and am currently M3. Still haven't taken CK/CS yet.
I was curious as to how does one go about finding programs that I might have a chance at.
The WAMC thread of this year(which is ongoing) and last year had a few posts around my stats but I'd like to know
if there are tricks to wade through the program lists (such as in FRIEDA) and find the programs around my criteria (low tier).

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

FREIDA has no competitivity criteria to filter by. Even the score criteria are not set in stone and are likely very outdated anyway. Unfortunately, on SDN you will find little information about low tier programs, as there aren't many of us IMGs on the board. SDN is especially lacking in information regarding community programs that are IMG heavy. I found that SDN was more useful for opinions regarding low to mid tier academic programs which often have a couple of IMG in their classes. usmle-forums or usmleforum may be more appropriate place to ask (but a lot of false information is shared on those boards and you have to take everything with a grain of salt, especially their equivalents of the "what are my chances" threads which I find are very optimistic).

Your best bet is to check out individual programs and look at the number of IMGs in their program who have a similar background as yourself (e.g. Caribbean school vs. other countries) and then apply broadly regardless. CK will have an impact on your overall competitiveness, and so will your US experience and letters. When the time comes to apply you can also post in the WAMC thread and an occasional IMG colleague may comment. If you turn things around and make yourself a competitive applicant aside from the Step 1, you may even get replies from the forum regulars (!)

Good luck!

- go to NRMP website and find the document which breaks it down by program, number of spots available, and number of spots filled. Any place that did not fill its IM spots, you should consider applying to.
- Do you have an idea where you would like to end up (Southwest, Mid Atlantic, Midwest, etc.)?
- Go through FREIDA geographically. Consider any community programs and university affiliated programs. I found in CT for example, there are several programs affiliated with Yale, but they are IMG, Carib friendly.
- Look for university programs in cities you have never heard of. I'll comment on IL, since that's where I'm from. Places like UofI Peoria, UofI Urbana - Champaign, Southern IL. A lot of people interested in coming to IL want to be in Chicago, so university programs in other areas don't get as much AMG love.

It's weird SDN doesn't alert me by mail when I get new replies. Thanks so much guys!
I guess I gotta do some mad spreadsheet data entry/cross reference using:
NRMP data
our school's alumni list
FREIDA tip from shiftingmirage
MatchAResident (or equivalent)

and plus acing the Step 2 CK / M3 clerkship.