How does one stay in touch with a professor/PI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpabrotherout

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you actually do this? For example, I'd really like to keep in touch with a PhD I did research with high school senior year (I'll be a college freshman in about a month). I mean I'm not planning on getting an LoRs from him, but I liked him and promised him I'd stay in touch with him. We were close, but I don't think we're close enough for me to friend him on Facebook and chat with him or something. I guess I'm just socially inept.

Members don't see this ad.

work there agin in te summer

Reactions: 1 user
Emails and visit during breaks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Send an update email every three months or so, ask questions. Put your PI on a publication alert and send a congratulatory email every time the lab has a new manuscript.....read at least the abstract first ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I keep in touch via e-mail. Every few months or so I schedule an appointment and we chat about how things are going. I always try to come prepared with questions/updates.

Reactions: 1 users
Great advice, thanks. I can't actually physically keep in touch since I'm going to college elsewhere, but I guess I'll try to just engage email communication.

Yup. Just a few " updating you with my life" emails would suffice.

Great advice, thanks. I can't actually physically keep in touch since I'm going to college elsewhere, but I guess I'll try to just engage email communication.
I always try to remember what's going on for them when I email...like "oh hey, I bet it's crazy right now with your thesis students wrapping up their projects right now..."
I also stopped by at least once every year, and to avoid any last-minute AMCAS LOR terror, I used my most remote (chronologically) profs for a less important LOR for a related internship, so they'll only need to do a quick brush-up when the real crunch time comes.