how does one survive in medical school (financially)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha, no I did not. I just know someone by the name of Jesse Pinkman. He cooks and distributes crystal meth. Has a friend named Heisenberg.
Ok that explains it hahahahhaa. I was like damn tbis person knows nm.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I hear stripping and bartending can work out pretty well. Combine the two and you'd probably do really well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Might as well put all that orgo knowledge to use, amirite? But seriosuly, don't cook crystal. It's way easier, profitable, and cheaper to make MDMA.

The path of least resistance = nah....lol

I can definitely say that I live comfortably on the loans they allow us to take out. It's by no means a ton of money, but I also don't find myself struggling to buy food or even go out for fun every so often.
At my school, our quarters are of different length and it kind of screws up living comfortably. I definitely struggled to pay rent, food and bills first quarter. That lasted 5 months (Aug to Dec). The following two quarters take up a combine 5 months (Jan to May). But for some reason, they split your loans into equal thirds and give them to you at the start of each quarter.

So essentially you barely scrape by first quarter and then can live like a king the other quarters (which I recommend you don't). It's stupid, but oh well. It happened and is over.

Members don't see this ad :)
So essentially you barely scrape by first quarter and then can live like a king the other quarters (which I recommend you don't). It's stupid, but oh well. It happened and is over.

That's rather stupid but I'm glAd it's over for you.

Hey I mean I am dating someone going for his PhD in orgo.... I think we got this LOL.
That means nothing! If ain't got no balls to cook = no good there. lMAO. Jk

Last edited:
Haha, no I did not. I just know someone by the name of Jesse Pinkman. He cooks and distributes crystal meth. Has a friend named Heisenberg.
Ok that explains it hahahahhaa. I was like damn tbis person knows nm.

Lol I just sat down and looked at that again. I forgot that was Jesse's voicemail recording on the show. Haha.

At my school, our quarters are of different length and it kind of screws up living comfortably. I definitely struggled to pay rent, food and bills first quarter. That lasted 5 months (Aug to Dec). The following two quarters take up a combine 5 months (Jan to May). But for some reason, they split your loans into equal thirds and give them to you at the start of each quarter.

I just saw you're in Seattle.. Did you do WWAMI?

Loans, grants, mom & dad (maybe). The numbers include living expenses, which is where the $30-40K per year comes from. You might be able to earn a little ramen money during your first two years of med school, but forget about it during 3rd year and maybe even 4th year. Other options include HPSP (military medicine) or loan forgiveness programs for agreeing to go into underrepresented specialties and work in under-served areas.

A little bit off topic, do people use loan money to buy a laptop and tablet? Not sure if I should.
Having a decent laptop would be pretty critical to succeeding in medical school. If you don't have a good one already, it would be well worth it to invest in one now. Tablet is another story and depends on your usage habits.