How does reapplying affect your chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mjolner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if applying a second time makes adcoms more likely to take you or do they look less positively at reapps? I mean other than the obvious advantage of having a second shot at acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't what you're looking for, but it probably varies from school to school.

I'm wondering if applying a second time makes adcoms more likely to take you or do they look less positively at reapps? I mean other than the obvious advantage of having a second shot at acceptance.
There tends to be concern regarding "why didn't they get in last time", and it can also be a pain to keep your LORs, essays, etc fresh depending on the length of time we are talking about relative to your last attempt.

Members don't see this ad :)
The keys for a successful cycle:

1) Finding out what went wrong the first time.
2) Taking the time to fix those things... however long it may be.

Sometimes this can't be remedied with a quick re-app. I hear about applicants who don't get in but decide to send off another AMCAS immediately after the unsuccessful cycle. The committee is going to ask how this person has changed from last time. If there is no improvement the application is going straight to the can.

If this is a "quick fix" like a late application or bad interviews, you probably won't need to take time off between apps.

you would think the 2nd attempt would should some effort and perseverance....they don't care.

Strong blanket statement is strong. No way you could know this is true for every single adcom member at every school.

Reapplying increases your chances of acceptance from 0% to > 0%.

Unless you declined an acceptance, like some geniuses have done.

That is truly crazy... I've read one too many threads on this network, created by people wondering if they should turn down their state school acceptance in order to try again for the "better" schools. Why do people apply to schools they wouldn't attend?

That is truly crazy... I've read one too many threads on this network, created by people wondering if they should turn down their state school acceptance in order to try again for the "better" schools. Why do people apply to schools they wouldn't attend?

Lmao....people do that?! :wtf:They realize the school doesn't matter much in medicine don't they?!:rofl: