How does this happen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feargift

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just met a former medical student who is now working as an engineer. He stated that he completed medical school at Jabsom, but he did not get his MD due to not passing the usmle exam. He did not say which step exam he failed. How can an individual complete their rotations without having passed the usmle exam? He is now going around saying that he completed medical school. But, due to failing the "board exam" (his words not mine), he does not have an MD.

From my understanding, one does not complete medical school without passing the usmle exam.

Members don't see this ad.

My school doesn't require 2CK or 2CS to complete rotations. It is required to graduate though.

If your friend says they completed medical school, but the board exam was required to graduate, and the friend neither passed the exam nor graduated, then your friend has a poor grasp of the word "completed". Maybe they completed the academics or something, but there is more to med school than just the academics.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school requires passing Step 1 to advance to third year (rotations), and also had a deadline to pass Step 2 CK & CS.

My school doesn't require 2CK or 2CS to complete rotations. It is required to graduate though.

If your friend says they completed medical school, but the board exam was required to graduate, and the friend neither passed the exam nor graduated, then your friend has a poor grasp of the word "completed". Maybe they completed the academics or something, but there is more to med school than just the academics.

Exactly. He states that he had completed med school on his employer's company website. He mentioned it at professional meetings. He is now teaching at a college and includes that in work related reports. He doesn't realize that passing the steps are part of completing the curriculum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Who cares? Saying he finished medical school will only open line of questioning regarding why he isn't a practicing physician. It's like me saying I was the #1 baseball prospect in the entire country in high school, and then I proceeded to become a dentist. :shifty:

Reactions: 1 users
Who cares? Saying he finished medical school will only open line of questioning regarding why he isn't a practicing physician. It's like me saying I was the #1 baseball prospect in the entire country in high school, and then I proceeded to become a dentist. :shifty:

He'll say to a person not in medicine: "Well, I completed medical school, didn't pass the usmle and therefore, I didn't get my MD.

I thought one couldn't start rotations until one passes step 1. This was actually the point of my post.

Last edited:
He'll say to a person not in medicine: "Well, I completed medical school, didn't pass the usmle and therefore, I didn't get my MD.

I thought one couldn't start rotations until one passes step 1. This was actually the point of my post.

That's going to be a school specific policy. I don't believe there is a standard policy across all schools.

Reactions: 1 user

You can start rotations before passing step 1, there is just another test that you have to pass (forget name). Schools like Baylor will have you take said test and then step 1 is delayed until after you've done some rotations. Conceivably he could have gone to a school with this sort of curriculum and never passed step 1 although this seems unlikely. Not passing step 2 after multiple tries is the more likely scenario.

That's going to be a school specific policy. I don't believe there is a standard policy across all schools.

I think there is some state law involvement too. At least in Texas it's like how I described in the above post

Perhaps his poor understanding of "completion" gives insight into exactly why he failed his exams and did not actually complete medical school.

"How did this happen?" It didn't. He's a *****.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

He's just playing loose with semantics here or intentionally being vague.

I have several friends from undergrad that claim they "finished" college but don't have a degree so clearly they didn't finish.

It's pretty common really. We can spend all day arguing about semantics although I'm not really sure why it's important. As long as he's not listing the degree on his resume, who cares?

I have several friends from undergrad that claim they "finished" college but don't have a degree so clearly they didn't finish.

It's pretty common really. We can spend all day arguing about semantics although I'm not really sure why it's important. As long as he's not listing the degree on his resume, who cares?

It's basically lying to show off or protect his ego in front of those not in medicine. I'm sure if he is talking with a doctor, he wouldn't state that he completed medical school.

Last edited:
It's basically lying to show off or protect his ego in front of those not in medicine. I'm sure if he is talking with a doctor, he wouldn't state that he completed medical school.

He might. Not much difference between someone who attended all of medical school but didn't graduate and someone who successfully graduated medical school but never did an internship.

He might. Not much difference between someone who attended all of medical school but didn't graduate and someone who successfully graduated medical school but never did an internship.

I think there is a big difference between the two: the later may be capable of being a successful physician; he/she just may have decided clinical medicine is not for them. The former is NOT cut out to be a physician. Period. There is a reason why there is a limit to the amount of times an individual is allowed to take the steps, and reasons why passing after so many attempts, limits were one can practice.

Last edited:
I think there is a big difference between the two: the later may be capable of being a successful physician; he/she just may have decided clinical medicine is not for them. The former is NOT cut out to be a physician. Period. There is a reason why there is a limit to the amount of times an individual is allowed to take the steps, and reasons why passing after so many attempts, limits were one can practice.

There may be a big difference to medical students, but I was responding to the post about what the med school flunky would say to a doctor. To a quadruple board-certified attending physician like myself, there is no difference. It is quite reasonable that medical students would see a huge difference

There may be a big difference to medical students, but I was responding to the post about what the med school flunky would say to a doctor. To a quadruple board-certified attending physician like myself, there is no difference. It is quite reasonable that medical students would see a huge difference

There is no difference if we are talking about wanting to practice medicine. In either case, neither one can, unless the med school graduate hasn't been away from medicine for too long.

Why wouldn't it be a big difference to an attending? One is a doctor that fulfilled the requirements for graduation, obviously. The other does not have an MD because he did not demonstrate capability of being a physician: he failed the exam.

Yes, they both cannot practice medicine. But, the one with the MD probably could have at some point. The non-MD did not COMPLETE the curriculum.

Last edited:
But isn't he telling people he failed? That takes a lot IMO. And why do you care anyway? You're here bitching on the internet about the guy. Lmao, who are you to judge?

Last time I played golf, I finished with a score of 97.

If I recall correctly, I was finished after 11 holes...

But isn't he telling people he failed? That takes a lot IMO. And why do you care anyway? You're here bitching on the internet about the guy. Lmao, who are you to judge?

In a dishonest way. shut up. and i know you're not laughing. If you're annoyed, why did you even bother responding to my post.

In a dishonest way. shut up. and i know you're not laughing. If you're annoyed, why did you even bother responding to my post.
ada.jpg