How dumb would it be to have surgery before Step 1 and surgery rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bngli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a partial tricep tear that needs to be repaired. It is scheduled for 6/19, with my Step 1 scheduled for 6/22, and surgery rotation scheduled for 7/3. I figure I'll be out of my brace by 7/3, and the surgery itself won't take that long so I'll really only lose 1 day. I figure the post-surgery pain will be gone by 6/22, considering I felt pretty much back to normal after a surgery 2 years ago within about a day or 2. For anyone who has had a triceps repair surgery, how dumb would this be? Obviously the only thing I can really push back is the surgery, but I kind of want to get my injury fixed and I don't wanna piss my doctor off by rescheduling so late.

Members don't see this ad.

I would ask for another date. Even if the surgeon is somehow pissed off (which I don't think they'd be at all) it doesn't matter as much as it potentially affecting your test and your rotation right? Maybe everything would be fine as scheduled, maybe you'll be tired and in pain, it's hard to say but to me personally it doesn't sound worth finding out when you can avoid it.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely take Step 1 first. You do not want to take a long,stressful exam while feeling tired and sore from surgery.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It would be very dumb. Reschedule.

Step 1 is the key issue. Surgery is not an ideal rotation to do with a physical limitation like that because it might limit what you can do in the OR, but taking step 1 just days after a surgery is the height of stupidity.

Your surgeon will understand. You can’t risk a step failure.

Reactions: 2 users
Do it yourself or let "them" do it during your surgery rotation... ;) (would make for a great talking point for residency interviews)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above to not risk a step failure. A "P" in surgery will be fine for most specialties at most programs. A retake of step 1 would be a flag for every program. Not gonna lie, though; surgery rotation with an injury sucks. I had a lunate fx during my surgery rotation that made some days in the OR pretty miserable

Reactions: 1 user
If I was your surgeon I would 100% tell you to pick a new surgery date. No question.
And, your surgeon will appreciate you cancelling now rather than waiting longer. S/he may be able to put something else on the schedule in that slot.

Reactions: 4 users
Lol I'd be a lot more stressed to be operated on now that I've done my surgery rotation.
But yea take step 1 first

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a hand surgeon who does triceps repairs. Reschedule your surgery. Three days post op from a triceps repair will be unworkable for you to sit for an 8 hr exam. You may or may not be in a splint and for sure will be in some sort of dressing. Depending on your pain tolerance, you still might be on pain meds.

Reactions: 1 users