How far are you in AP Bio class?

indianjatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We recently finished plants and are now onto mammal structure and function I believe.

This unit is by far one of the most interesting.

:idea:I learned something this unit! For once I can say boredom has it's advantages. So basically I am very bored most of the time and just go on forums all day, but when I get too bored of that I just sit around and do nothing or try new experiments. The other day I decided to read the chapter assigned to us in Biology and then do the self quiz questions, test your knowledge questions, and objectives that are ordinarily assigned to us. And what do you know, I realized that the homework had a real purpose after all.:laugh: Beforehand I would BS all that homework scanning to find answers and then study before the test, but now that I've actually taken the time to read the chapter first and reinforce it with homework, my grasp on the concepts and chapters has increased.

yippy.

So where are you guys in Bio (got off-track, just had to let out my revelation)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Same spot you are lol how'd you do in the Biochem section?

We're done with the book now. Just reviewing for the AP exam now. :D

Biochemistry section?

Members don't see this ad :)
must be nice lol and yeah it was a whole lot of chapters lol it happened earlier on in the year. it was about enzymes and protein structure and such. Hows you guys do on the section?

If you are referring to the first section of Cliffs then I did WELL. The section had chemistry of biology, water specificity, enzymes, etc.

That was actually my highest score out of any test; I got the highest in the class lol. (That is if you are referring to the same section)

that is the section im referring to. And I did good as well I ask because everything is derived from that section how are you with your essays?

Essays I feel like I can do well on but when my teacher grades using the AP scale at times he gives relatively low scores, but I usally average about a 6-7.

oh nice nice Id say hta essays and labs are my strong suit the tests im fine on its jut im worried ill forget something u know? what section did u hate?

Not sure really. I think my class skipped over animal groups and I don't really want to memorize Taxa and what not. I just really hope I get a 5.

same and its so close now :( *gulp*
I think I'm gonna get a 4 though and i guess thats fine since a 5 and a 4 are basically the same thing at schools I've looked at, my strength are the essays. So im hoping all 5s there and that will make up for my possibly bad test grade. I heard its supposed to focus on biochem this year. Have you taken previous tests to prepare yourself?

I actually took the official 1994, 1999, 2002, and 2008 test. I average about 60-65 out of 100. It isn't so hot, but I realized a trend. I missed all the questions on kingdoms/bacteria (Sporozoa, similarities), and a few other sections. I wish brush up on them and hope for the best. Yeah, I only get 4 units (I'm going to retake the course anyways), so I shouldn't worry about the exam too much, but if I don't get a 5 I will feel as if I am not good enough to become a doctor since I couldn't even get a 5 on an AP test in an important subject. :eek:

oh don't fret its actually better to not get a 5 I mean the smart move would be to retake it in college so you remember it for your MCAT. It's smart to take it now though so you can do good in college. I see why you want a 5 its like a personal triumph and you feel its proof of you being a doctor thats good. But IM sure as a doctor you won't need to know how a plant takes in water lol. Thats one thing i dislike about AP bio. What type of doctor do you want to be? What grade r u in as well? im assuming a junior?

Unsure about a specialty yet, haha. I am actually a senior matriculating to UC Davis.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see well you sound like you know your stuff i wouldn't worry about not being qualified. Did you take Anatomy and Physiology? I wanted to be a doctor but i love chemistry too much so i chose pharmacy. Are you thinking MD or DO?

I actually didn't take Physiology and Anatomy. Honestly, I am going to try really hard to get into MD schools, but if things just don't work out, I may improve my application or apply to DO schools on my first application cycle.

I see. Pharmacy just seems so boring... hahaa

ehh thats what I thought thats why im going to b e a hospital pharmacist lol. Being a doctor isn't for me, too many hours with years of school to end up piled in debt and stress, but IDK i was thinking anesthesiology if i do go into med. besides Pharmacist fix you doctors mistakes lol. What made you decide on being a doctor?

I am still about the same range. I took Cliffs today and got 58 right, 23 wrong, 19 blank. That's including 10 wrong for Photosynthesis/Cellular Respiration. If I review those in detail, I am sure I can move up to ~70+. Hopefully.

I know 60 isn't decent to consider medicine, but this is mainly plants, photosynthesis, and cellular respiration. Who cares about that? :D

good point besides a lot of med schools won't take your AP credits which sucks but oh well. The way I look at it is how well you retain something rather than how well you did in one class that you may forget after doing it, no one wants a doctor who may have aced med school but doesn't remember certain things, wouldn't you rather remember a lot and be a great doctor?

I did great on the essays and the test i skipped liked 15 questions so i feel bad about that but im hoping to pull a 3 or 4 it wasn't nearly as hard as i though it would be. Im sure you did better though right?

According to your data/info, you're looking at a high 5.

I think I got all parts on the FRQ right except maybe two part c's and they allocate 12 points with 2 points being leeway.

MC was a little harder. Hopefully it was good enough to result in a 5 with a combined Free Response Question FRQ score.

I thought i did really well the MC was a little difficult but I've always been good at essays so I'm glad i have that to possible save me since it counts for 40 percent. Im sure you got a 5 you're really intelligent and from what i can see you know you're stuff aren't you glad AP bio's finally done?

I don't know. I may be setting myself up for a disappointment and not get a 5. All I can do now is pray. There is nothing I can do to change it. :( I would be kind of sad if I don't get a 5. awwwwwwww the pain

Don't worry man I'm sure you'll get a five and if you don't a lot of schools consider 5's and 4's equal, as far as the personal achievement, one time falling short isn't the end if anything it'll make you push more right?

Here is what I put on the exam.

Let's compare!

1A
- One pancreatic hormone is the beta cell insulin and another pancreatic hormone is the alpha cell glucagon. The purpose of insulin is to decrease your blood glucose level, while glucagon is used to increase your blood glucose level.
1B (not sure...)
- The hormone glucagon targets alpha cells. The way glucagon can alter activity is by releasing glucose into the body and thus increasing glucose level. The reason this likely happens is because the body sends a signal due to a low glucose level and the response is the release of glucose/glucagon. (My mind is blanking out on what I wrote about cell transduction).
1C (BS'ed)

- A protein hormone sends signals by having a glycoprotein on the outer membrane for cell recognition. It also has a multi histocompatible complex to identify between self and non-self.

2A
- Graphed all the points
X Axis - Time
Y Axis - Maltose
Label - Maltose concentration by amylase (or something like that
Reaction rate = 10.4/30 approximately .33 micro M per minute.

2B
-There was a change in reactionary time after 30 minutes because the substrate likely ran out and the enzyme had no more function left. The substrate, which is starch, probably was used and there was no more maltose production.

2C
- I basically multiplied everything by 2x and stopped once it reached 11 basically.

2D
- Temperature and pH. The enzyme will be much faster once it reaches it's optimal temperature, because the enzymes likely move more and more surface area is exposed and the probability of an enzyme touching a substrate is high. However, past the optimal temperature, the enzyme will denature and will come apart and no longer function.

( I wrote a similar description for pH).

3A
-(Super detailed; showed punnet squares, etc)
I stated that cross I and cross II are examples of autosomal dominate traits. The bronze eyes were dominate and the stunted wings were dominate. Showed LOTS of work.
3B
-I did:
Parent: AABB x aabb
F1: AaBb x aabb

I just stated the reason for the results may have been due to mutation or the fact that the sample size was small and the offsprings do not have to necessarily be exact to the ratio (explanation is probably incorrect... any points though?)

4A
- As the succession goes up the biodiversity will drastically increase and there will be more gases and organisms. (something like that...)

4B
- First there will likely be rocks that will be broken up into soil by some organisms and since the soil will be poor, there likely will be nitrogen fixing bacteria in the soil to make the soil more nutrient filled. As a result, other plant life and organisms will start to form such as the animal plants. From the animal plants, there will be an increase in O2 levels and the exposure from the sun's light will allow more photosynthesis to occur and more complex trees/ecosystem will grow.

4C
- Immediate effect: Everything will be wiped out. However, it will be secondary succession and a new ecosystem can grow a lot faster after the natural disaster because there is no need for a spontaneous reaction to occur which is needed for primary succession. Since the soil is already there and still nutrient rich, the succession will be a lot faster than primary.

Similar for the second scenario.

in essay number one i really focused on signal transduction pathways but other then that we had the same stuff.

Essay number 2 was the same

essay number 3 i said the same things but you had to mention that it was linked genes, and support that with numbers, but yes you got points.

essay number 4 was pretty essential we had the same things though you went into more detail.

no you told me that i meant for med school, but i think i was unaware when i thought they didn't have a med school. u got any good scholarships or is it full tuition?