How far can numbers take me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NachoCheese

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here's where I am so far:
MCAT: 41R, relatively even distribution of scores
GPA: >3.95
Research: >1 yr, possible 3rd author pub in the works. No posters/fellowships. (>500 hrs)
Hospital Volunteering: >1 yr, small leadership role (>150 hrs)
Tutoring: - >1 semester with inner city middle-school kids (>50 hrs)
-just started this Fall as a peer tutor, would like to TA a class next semester
Shadowing: >40 hrs, with ~30 more expected by next cycle, when I'll be applying
Others: -1 summer job in retail
- >50 hrs assorted non-clinical through random orgs (not sure if this is even worth mentioning)
Awards: ...uh... none really. Just one tiny scholarship and University Honors from GPA

Would a gap year to build these up be worth it?

:laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Except for maybe WashU, all the top 10 schools are looking for something beyond numbers. If you truly want to shoot high, then pick up some more EC's, volunteer gigs, shadowing positions, research opportunities. It looks like you have some of those covered already, but try to build up those leadership experiences. If you don't think you can accomplish that within the next year or so, definitely consider taking a gap year to round out your application.

Your stats will certainly carry you far, but there are literally thousands of people with stats similar to yours, you need to stand out by having great extracurriculars. If you have that, you will get your interviews from top tier schools.

Except for maybe WashU, all the top 10 schools are looking for something beyond numbers. If you truly want to shoot high, then pick up some more EC's, volunteer gigs, shadowing positions, research opportunities. It looks like you have some of those covered already, but try to build up those leadership experiences. If you don't think you can accomplish that within the next year or so, definitely consider taking a gap year to round out your application.

Your stats will certainly carry you far, but there are literally thousands of people with stats similar to yours, you need to stand out by having great extracurriculars. If you have that, you will get your interviews from top tier schools.

You don't think his ECs are already legit? Especially considering he's already doing a gap year (OP says he is applying next summer).

You don't think his ECs are already legit? Especially considering he's already doing a gap year (OP says he is applying next summer).

He will definitely do fine and get in somewhere this semester if he applies, but to really stand out to the top 10, doing other more unique things get you noticed more so than just 'checking off boxes.' As I said, there are thousands of other students with a very similar application. To really help out your chances you have to have something really stand out in your experiences.

He will definitely do fine and get in somewhere this semester if he applies, but to really stand out to the top 10, doing other more unique things get you noticed more so than just 'checking off boxes.' As I said, there are thousands of other students with a very similar application. To really help out your chances you have to have something really stand out in your experiences.

I highly doubt there are "thousands" of students with both 3.95+'s and 41's.

I highly doubt there are "thousands" of students with both 3.95+'s and 41's.

You are right in that there aren't thousands of students with stats like that or higher, however in the eyes of adcoms, the difference between GPA's between 3.8-4.0 is not significant, nor is the difference between a 36-41. Once you pass a certain academic threshold, the adcom is then confident you can handle the curriculum, and so start looking at things that will potentially make a successful physician and leader.

Thank you all for reading and posting!

Do you really need to ask?

I realize that I am in a fortunate position and I acknowledged that in my original post. However, as DarkJedi has pointed out, I am far from safe at the top schools where I would like to consider going. My being better off than most should not preclude me from receiving advice.

MedPR said:
I think you may have misread my post or the fact that I took my MCAT early might have confused you. I am just starting my 3rd year and will be applying in the summer before senior year, on schedule.

darkjedi said:
...in the eyes of adcoms, the difference between GPA's between 3.8-4.0 is not significant, nor is the difference between a 36-41. Once you pass a certain academic threshold, the adcom is then confident you can handle the curriculum, and so start looking at things that will potentially make a successful physician and leader.
Duly noted. Thank you for your insightful input. I've been investing a lot of time taking interesting electives. I should probably use that time for EC's instead. However, gaining leadership experience will be tricky as I am strapped for time this semester. But waiting until next semester to get a leadership position would probably look forced or at least unimpressive, considering the proximity to application season.

Last edited: