How far in advance can you get letters of recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YourAveragePremed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current sophomore planning on applying the summer after junior year, and I was wondering if it would be feasible to start getting letters of recommendations at this point. Due to my circumstances (coming into college with most core classes completed), I likely won't take many (if any) core classes in my junior year.. I'm just not sure if applying with an LOR almost 2 years old would be looked upon unfavorably

Members don't see this ad.

Check your prehealth office if they have access to interfolio (geez auto correct). Otherwise you can set up an account of your own. I would think carefully about your letters since I presume you will have more contemporary references as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am a current sophomore planning on applying the summer after junior year, and I was wondering if it would be feasible to start getting letters of recommendations at this point. Due to my circumstances (coming into college with most core classes completed), I likely won't take many (if any) core classes in my junior year.. I'm just not sure if applying with an LOR almost 2 years old would be looked upon unfavorably
Absolutely, and it's the smart thing to do if these will be strong letters. See whether your pre-health office will hold them for you.

Otherwise, just get an Interfolio account (it is free to store letters, but you will have to pay when you want them sent). If the writer is still around and still remembers you, the letters could easily be refreshed, with a new date, before they are used.

Reactions: 1 users