How feasible is PRS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronium

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in a different kind of situation, seeing that I have the IMG stigma and all.
I would definitely appreciate the feedback of attendings, residents and anyone that knows how PRS candidate selection occurs.

So here goes:
Currently MS4 at a foreign institution.
Step1: 256
Step2: 268
Our grading system is Excellent (Honors equivalent), Good (High pass-like) and Pass: Honors in IM, Surg and Psych clinicals, Good in Obgyn and Peds.
Expecting like 4-5 publications in about a year's time. 3 of them first author. Most are in medical education.
Planning to take a year or two to do research in stem cells and regeneration.

Plan is to apply to PRS (or ENT) in the US, to end up in facial reconstruction/ transplants.
Working for an academic career in surgery.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think most people would tell you to arrange a few rotations state-side in order to get letters from well-known plastic surgery faculty. In addition, you can show them your knowledge base, work ethic, maybe complete a case report or help with a small project and get published. All of these will increase your chances of matching. That being said, it is a major hurdle and you might consider at least a transitional year in the US, if not a residency in gen surg (or something else of your choosing), then re-applying.

I will echo the sentiment of the other responder. A strong letter from a well-known chairman carries as much or more weight than anything else. I had a borderline step 1 score, good step 2 score, one 1st author pub and some interesting hobbies/accomplishments. By far, though, the things most commented on in interviews were my letters from my home chair and the chair letter from one of my away rotations. Individuals are more likely to buy in to a body of work if they hear it from someone they know and trust.

Examples:
UTSW- Rohrich
UWisconsin- Mike Bentz
SIU- Mike Neumeister
Hopkins- Andy Lee
etc. etc.

Really, you should get a letter from a chair or prominent figure at any place you rotate. As an FMG, the best thing is to rotate at several places, work hard, and just be yourself. Affable, able and available. Hope this helps.