How Good Is Minute Man?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
I'm hearing VERY nice things about this procedure.

1616602096417.png

Members don't see this ad.

I haven’t heard much about it.. I do find the fact that the XR strongly resembles a watch inserted in the rectum quite amusing at first glance.

Reactions: 4 users
I heard people are billing it as a spinal fusion, which may account for some of its popularity.

I asked my spine surgeon if he was interested since he is already doing Vertiflex. He was not impressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I be the guy to go ahead and do it?

Here we go - Lemme ask my wife; she is an expert at the Minute Man!

HA!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
No comment from someone who has actually done it...

I heard people are billing it as a spinal fusion, which may account for some of its popularity.

I asked my spine surgeon if he was interested since he is already doing Vertiflex. He was not impressed.
It reimburses less than Vertiflex. For the right case it looks to be solid.

It’s billed as a spinal fusion, around 2k. Vertiflex only pays a few hundred dollars.

Its marketed as a less invasive fusion but why are no surgeons doing it. You’d think they would adopt it if it paid the same and was less invasive.

It’s billed as a spinal fusion, around 2k. Vertiflex only pays a few hundred dollars.

Its marketed as a less invasive fusion but why are no surgeons doing it. You’d think they would adopt it if it paid the same and was less invasive.
Why adopt?

Sorry, facility side.

I'm hearing VERY nice things about this procedure.

View attachment 333267
I guess the question is how does it compare with x stop, vertiflex and other intraspinous ligament implants. I personally use MILD first line at the stenotic level. Epidurogram for confirmation of decompression. Good outcomes and minimal post OP pain. Plus I don’t get money to plug Vertos... independent review .

I guess the question is how does it compare with x stop, vertiflex and other intraspinous ligament implants. I personally use MILD first line at the stenotic level. Epidurogram for confirmation of decompression. Good outcomes and minimal post OP pain. Plus I don’t get money to plug Vertos... independent review .

Are you doing multiple levels bilateral?
Do you always do an epidurogram?

Are you doing multiple levels bilateral?
Do you always do an epidurogram?
Typically, I select bilateral single level as my experience gets refined. Epidurograms are easy for all of us, plus it really provides visual proof of the posterior element decompression. I’d use the epiduogram , however most are not .
I think two level bilateral is reasonable Vs. say a two level laminectomy/foraminotomy. I don’t believe we destabilize the spine with only posterior decompression. The data is still indeterminate as to when to redecompress, repeat levels above, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any further thoughts by anyone else who does minute man? What is the training for getting into doing this like?

I saw this on LinkedIn today and thought it might be relevant. Seems like the surgeons don't think it's a good long-term solution and may in fact lead to adjacent segment disease down the road from reading this comments

Edit: just ignore all the fighting but there are some key points about the device itself

Reactions: 1 user
Yikes. I think I will just stick to posting an occasional kypho pick. Probably start using the hashtag #kyphokingokc to mess with Doug.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Isn’t adjacent segment degeneration the risk of any fusion?

Reactions: 3 users
Wait, fusing the spine leads to adjacent segment disease? Holy crap! Fusions don't lead to a good long term solution for stable spines? I'm shocked!

Reactions: 1 users
I saw this on LinkedIn today and thought it might be relevant. Seems like the surgeons don't think it's a good long-term solution and may in fact lead to adjacent segment disease down the road from reading this comments

Edit: just ignore all the fighting but there are some key points about the device itself
Disturbing to fuse someone for a disc herniation, if the commenters are correct about that. Could have had a microdiscectomy instead, probably with a smaller scar.

That post just irritated the cr@p out of me. So many issues.

Fusing a stable spine for a disc herniation, saying “put the data aside for a moment,” and likening the minuteman/MIS pain-spine procedures to TAVR.