How good is pass/fail grading in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wordsofradiance123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to decide where I want to go to school within the next couple weeks and was asking for some opinions. I have the HPSP scholarship, so cost isn't a concern. One school is in a location I would rather live, but it isn't pass/fail while the other school has the pass/fail grading system. I've heard that pass/fail can be too overhyped by pre-dental students, but at the same time, it seems like it could reduce stress by a lot. Any feedback into how I should approach this dilemma would be really helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

You should try searching this question in the search function.. I think I've seen a few threads already... consensus I've gather is that, it'll probably help with the mental stress because you don't have to necessarily keep letter grades in mind and you can just focus on passing. But if you want to specialize, P/F may not be as beneficial unless you attend a program like Harvard that is considered prestigious and known for pushing them out

If you’re 100% on being a general dentist then every dental school can be pass fail.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users