How hard is it to get into JHU's MSPH in Global Disease Epidemiology and Control (GDEC)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swordswithfriends

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I really want to apply to the GDEC program but I think my qualification might not be enough to get in. I would really appreciate it you have any advice/ info about how competitive the program is to get into?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
JHU is incredibly competitive, as they are one of the top programs in the US for public health. While you seem to have competitive GRE scores, what are your ECs like? From the brief research I did (I didn't apply to their program), they value full time work experience. Do you have any of that? You mentioned field experience. Is it public health related?

If you really want to go to JHU, I say go ahead and apply. You really don't have anything to lose. I can't speak to the competitiveness of the specific programs you mentioned, but you should really choose the one that most interests you. It's not worth going to one that you wouldn't be happy with. This is an investment, both financially and professionally.

Members don't see this ad :)
@swordswithfriends,

As IntriguedStudent pointed out, it's incredibly hard to predict the likelihood of you being accepted into a specific program. Honestly, your GPA and GRE are fine. In MPH programs, admission committees are not going to single you out, because your GPA is not a 4.0, even at top schools like Hopkins and Harvard. Admissions really does use a holistic approach when evaluating applicants and selecting their incoming classes. Also, your 2-years of international experience (Peace Corps?), that looks really good to the adcom.

For epidemiology, I can tell you that your quantitative skills are more highly valued than your qualitative skills. How are your grades from quantitive-based courses in undergrad, and what type of quantitative courses did you take as a Biochemistry major?

Hi all!
I really want to apply to the GDEC program but I think my qualification might not be enough to get in. I would really appreciate it you have any advice/ info about how competitive the program is to get into? Would I be better off applying for the MHS in Social Factors in Health?

Stats:
School: Small, private, New England liberal arts college
Major: Biochemistry
GPA: 3.3
GRE: 163 V (92nd percentile), 163 Q (82nd percentile), 5.5 AWA (98th percentile)
Experience: 1 summer of lab work, 2 years low-income country field experience

Reactions: 1 user
Following up about this program, I read that the GDEC program has restrictions on who can apply based on major. I was a public health major (BS) with a biology minor and took full chemistry, ochem, and statistics series. My lab experience is limited to physics labs.

Will Hopkins toss my application for this program because public health isn't technically a "hard sciences" major? I'm really not that interested in any of the other MSPH divisions and don't qualify for their MPH program as I'll only have a year of post-bacc work experience when applying.

Last edited:
Following up about this program, I read that the GDEC program has restrictions on who can apply based on major. I was a public health major (BS) with a biology minor and took full chemistry, ochem, and statistics series. My lab experience is limited to physics labs.

Will Hopkins toss my application for this program because public health isn't technically a "hard sciences" major? I'm really not that interested in any of the other MSPH divisions and don't qualify for their MPH program as I'll only have a year of post-bacc work experience when applying.

Always worth contacting the admissions office to get a feeler.

Reactions: 1 user