How hard was it for you to go back to school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoManyKids

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how much of a shock it was (if at all) for those of you who went back to school after 10+ years out. I graduated with my BA in 1999, so I haven't seen the inside of a classroom for a while. I did well back then, but it worries me to think what all these years with no schoolwork might have done to my brain.

Any stories, good or bad, appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully everything will come back naturally to you like riding a bike. Take things slow and don't get too frustrated over mistakes. You'll get better after a few weeks to months, and you might even be a better student than what you were ten years ago. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
you might even be a better student than what you were ten years ago. Good luck! :)

I think that's (^^^) more likely than anything.

I remember the biggest problems I had in my undergrad were the distractions 1) parties and hangovers (being in a frat didn't help one bit) 2) finances, or lack thereof (not having the money for some books certainly didn't help my performance, 3) not being motivated by the pursuit of medicine, and the need to have stellar grades.

Regretting all that now, but I think us non-trads tend to fare much better when returning after some time away. I'm a bit apprehensive myself about re-engaging my brain into a study regime, but I know I'm a whole lot more focused now, and now what my priorities are.

I graduated a decade before my return to school. I wasn't nervous so much about going to college as I was about taking hard core science classes. I got a C in gen chem a bazillion years ago.

All of my fears melted away as I realized my brain still worked just fine and I was more than capable of learning chemistry and biology. I even remembered algebra (if you don't, don't worry; it might help to take a refresher before gen chem). I was also a much more focused and determined student. Little things like showing up for all my classes and turning in all of my work on time seem so ordinary to me now, but I know in college I cut corners more than I should have and my GPA reflected that. No more.

I usually leave out my signature but I'm leaving it in for you. My undergrad GPA was a ~3.1.

It's definitely easier than years ago. For me it had been 4 years. I think the only thing I had trouble with was that I had made a habit of learning through video and books alone when I wasn't in school, so it was annoying not being able to rewind. The plus side was that I could ask instructors for clarification.

For me the most challenging part was actually making the decision to go back to school/change career after being out for so long. But once I started, I loved it. And as others have said, you have a different appreciation for learning. I am so much more interested in learning than I was as an undergrad.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that there were many other career changers in my classes. If this is what you want to do, and you have the dedication/passion to learn, you will have no problems adjusting.

I wonder about it too, but I'm so excited that it might happen that I will find a way to get through it all.

I went back after 20 years. Yes, 20 years. Not difficult to do at all. Like others, I had a newfound appreciation for the value of education and while many of my younger fellow students were struggling through 14 credits, I took 21 every semester. And did well. I think part of that was also knowing what I wanted to study and seeing that yes, the "stupid crap they make you learn" really can be very valuable later on in life.

I wasn't as far from previous undergrad as that (~5 years), but it was definitely true what people are saying. I was a MUCH better student the second time around, mostly because it actually mattered to me and there was a tangible goal at the end. I wasn't just going so that I could get a piece of paper that said I had been there.

I took one math and one bio class the first time around, not at the same time and both with B's. Straight A's my second time, with 16 units hard science at a time for 4 semesters. Caring really changes things.

Good luck, and keep the faith! You WILL make it through!

You have a BA already you'll be fine.

If i could do it all over again, i'd avoid most pre-meds. If anything, make friends with science students who aren't going to med school, i've met some truly genius people who are going for other things.

I went back after only six years out of the game, but it felt like I hadn't left at all. I felt extremely motivated in biology, but I couldn't rouse up the energy to care as much for organic chemistry because, by most accounts, there's little relevance of organic chemistry to anything beyond needing it for the MCAT. Also, I never cared much for chemistry--physics was always more up my alley. (This might explain it somehow. :laugh:)

I was barely out by most people's standards, but I really noticed a difference. It was much easier for me the second time even though the volume of the material was much higher and more challenging.

It was weird being with the younger crowd and watching people I graduated with the first time finish graduate degrees and taking boards and stuff. I loved it though, I appreciated the value of what I was learning, and I soaked it up like a sponge and kept looking for more. My family and friends kept giving me grief that they hadn't seen me that excited about learning since I was a little kid. :oops:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I went back after 9 years of being out of school and found that I was much more focused and motivated. It felt a little uncomfortable during the first couple weeks but I was running smoothly after that. My confidence was boosted with each A on my tests.

I was impressed with the increased use of technology such as online lectures (both audio and video), online notes, and online registration. I had seen the beginning stages of that when I left undergrad and it's nice to make full use of it now.

I will shortly be in the final semester of my DIY post-bac and have kept a 4.0 GPA so coming back after all these years has been more enjoyable. So don't be worried, be optimistic!

I was impressed with the increased use of technology such as online lectures (both audio and video), online notes, and online registration. I had seen the beginning stages of that when I left undergrad and it's nice to make full use of it now.

I enjoy the greater use of technoloy so much. Having more resources, or even actually just the internet :laugh:, have made studying and finding information so much easier.

I went back after 10 years. Much much easier.

i'll let you know in a few weeks ;)
following up on this....

well, i've been back for about a month now, and it's honestly been the most fun i've had since even including my first time at college. everyone is so friendly and the professors are very nice and encouraging. i'm doing extremely well, and with the technical training and self learning i've had in the past several years, it's much easier than the first time around. most of the dread and worry about the difficulty was just anxiousness and probably a bit of blowing my bad memories out of proportion.

on the flip side, it seems it is much easier to find answers these days than in the past. back in the stone age, when i had a question, i was at the mercy of the professor's office hours. today, i can just search the internet for answers.

I thought it was SO much easier the second time around. I was 28 when I went back to school, and I learned more during those 30 credits than I had in the previous 140.

I also graduated with my BS in 1999. I had a 2.75-3.0 first time around, pretty much straight As now... I think our brains work differently now... better differently...

I've only been out of grad school in theology for a year and a half, am taking Gen Chem right now and have honestly been shocked by the adjustment my brain is currently making. We're three weeks through the semester now and I am starting to feel like I am getting back to form but I didn't realize my brain had slowed down so much.

Also, I'm at the point now where I can sit down and study for almost three hours straight. You know how hard it is to find time when you have a spouse and kids so the first couple of weeks it was really frustrating to break away with a good chunk of study time and then have my brain just totally shut down after an hour or so.

I've been back for about a month now, and I'm loving it. Pretty much like everyone else on this thread, I feel like my priorities are straight this time. It certainly helps when you aren't distracted by parties and dorm life. We've had our first test and I got an A on it, and still felt like I could have done better, so I don't feel like it's any more difficult to learn. I have read a lot of books over the last several years, and every one I was reading to learn something, so I think I've kept my brain pretty fresh. All in all, I'm so glad I made the decision to go for it, and I feel like a kid again! :)

I went back after 5 years. I'm taking Chem 1, Bio 1, and Physics 1 now. There were some dull moments..but overall, I also find it a lot easier to keep up with the school work since I'm motivated to learn the material. You'll do just fine. I am not the oldest student in my Bio class!

I wasn't really out of school, but I did have to transition back to being an undergrad again after grad school. That was something else. I'm looking back on these students and saying "Wow, was I ever this naive and ignorant?" I probably was my first few years.

I went back after 7 years, and I will agree with most of the previous posters. Once you figure out what it is you want to do - school comes much easier. Calculus was still pretty tough for me, but I even came out with an A in that - after dropping it twice and failing it once in my previous academic life.

It was hard going back to school though - and not because of the classes themselves. Most of my friends from my first stint through college are successful professionals taking weekend trips and going to Cubs/Bears/Bulls/Blackhawks games, all while I'm working paycheck to paycheck and studying full-time. You just have to remember, and believe, that it will all be worth it in the end.