How high are the limits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermacat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm currently in an MD/MBA program, and while it is a culture shock to shift towards the business side of things, I'm really enjoying it. I originally applied to the dual degree program with the hope that it would increase my candidacy for a more competitive residency (which I still believe it will do). But after being in the program and learning about the concepts of management, operations, strategy, etc. I am really interested in finding out how physicians (on SDN or otherwise) are applying this degree in their careers. Do most MD/MBAs continue to see patients? Do most find themselves managers at a clinic? Medical directors? Involved in entrepreneurial startups? I'm looking forward to hearing what you do, or what you've heard of people doing with these dual degrees. Basically, how high are the limits? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think there's a large spectrum of how physicians apply it towards their careers. There really is no limit because the business degree opens your world up to a wide variety of possibilities ranging from only medicine, to a mixture of medicine and business, to only business.

These are all things that I have heard from primary or secondary sources about what the dual degree has helped some physicians do:

Some of them use the knowledge to help manage their care team for a patient and take care of their personal finances with a bit more understanding than others. Most that I talked to are in competitive fields, so getting into the competitive residency is probably how the MBA paid off.

A few have used it to transition into administrative positions in a HCO. Some on the executive board of an organization, some in managerial positions.

One or two that I spoke to used it to join and manage a practice or open a practice of their own.

Depending on the connections you can make, I know of/have talked to a few who became board members with startups in a variety of fields including pharma, biotech, or health IT.

I know consulting is a big thing to get into, but I haven't talked to or been told about anyone in those fields. However, a relative that works on Wall Street told me he personally knows one physician who got the dual degree and is now an investment banker with a major firm. He also told me that he knows of a few other dual degree physicians that chose to work in the finance industry as well, although he doesn't know them personally.

Thanks DrKershaw! It looks like the degree will open a lot of doors. Im still quite a ways from figuring out exactly what Im doing with my life and what route I'll take to get there, but I will try to keep all of these options in mind.

I read that some students spend a 4th year away elective at a consulting firm. I wonder how popular this is, or if I would even have the extra wiggle room for it