How high yield is pulmonary ventilation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stuw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a loss for words. No matter how much I look at the TPR's pulmonary ventilation chart, I just can't seem to make sense of it. This is an extremely vague request, i know, but could someone help walk me through understanding it? Thanks!

edit: This being completely new content to me, I'm finding that I just need to slowly work through this. However, if anyone would like to add anything helpful, you are more than welcome to!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm at a loss of words. No matter how much I'm looking at the TPR's pulmonary ventilation chart, I just can't seem to make sense of it. This is an extremely vague request, i know, but could someone help walk me through understanding it? Thanks!
perhaps upload a pic? or a page # or something? lol

Here you go, I modified a picture with some labels that make more sense. Hope it helps:

Lung Volumes.jpg

Edit: I had to edit the pic because I made an error.

Members don't see this ad :)
What helped me understand these terms more intuitively was actually ventilating. Try it out..

So just ventilate normally..take normal inhalations and exhalations. This is called your tidal volume

Now notice that when you do a normal inhalation, if you really force yourself, you can inhale more air. This is called the inspiratory reserve volume
The same can be done for exhalation. Exhale normally, and then force yourself to exhale more air. This is called the expiratory reserve volume

Now the vital capacity is when you do both sequentially, inhale maximally and then exhale maximally. The vital capacity is the sum of the tidal volume, IRV, and ERV.

the functional reserve capacity is the air left in your lungs after you do a normal exhalation

After you do maximal exhalation, there is still some air left in your lungs that you cannot force out, and this is called the residual volume.

hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
goodness, a huge THANK YOU to the both of you. this is all extremely helpful :D