How I studied for the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firephoenix26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Warning before you read: this is a very long post, but I feel like everything I have said contains valuable information for those who are beginning to study for the DAT and want good advice. If you already have a study plan, that's cool and you might wanna skip this post so it doesn't make you nervous or anything (however, do read my part that says ********READ THIS******** if you are using Kaplan).

I took the DAT last March and did very well on it (I'd rather not share my GPA/scores, but they were both extremely good), and now that people are starting to study for it again, I just wanted to share with everyone my take on how I studied and the resources that I used. I started studying just after Christmas (for a total of just over 3 months of studying), but I never did any marathon 8+ hour study sessions until the week before the exam (although I was consistent about studying - don't take long stretches off (those long stretches hurt because 1. you're not studying and 2. you forget material you've already learned) ).

I used the following 2 items exclusively, and found them to be completely sufficient for studying for all of the DAT. You will probably want to study math more than I did, but I think you'll be in a really good position if you do what I did for the other sections.

1. Kaplan online course (DAT on demand here: http://www.kaptest.com/DAT-NBDE/Home/index.html)
Note that I took the course (which is very expensive, ~$1300). You can get away without the course (although I definitely would recommend doing it for the extras if you can afford it), but I'll address a less expensive option at the end.

2. Crack the DAT (solely the PAT portion though) (here: http://crackdat.com/)
This is $200 (get the royal flush edition if you can afford it, the extra features are worth the higher price (also compared with the Kaplan online course, an extra $100 shouldn't be that big of a deal) ).

Here's my section-by-section analysis of these 2 resources.

Science

Biology:
I didn't remember any biology from high school, and I took the DAT midway through my 2nd semester of intro bio.
Strongly suggested: I strongly endorse Kaplan here. The Kaplan program was really great for studying for this section. I didn't have tons of formal preparation before the DAT, and I studied for at least 1/2 of the material without having taken a class on it. If you follow Kaplan closely on this subject, you should do very well on the DAT. With that said, there will be maybe 2-4 questions that show up on your DAT that weren't in this Kaplan book. Kaplan is not all-inclusive on this section, but here's the thing about the biology section: there is just way too many random tidbits of information for a study material to be all-inclusive on this subject. You have to balance time with efficiency, and it is simply not worth your time to try to scour a much bigger resource in the hopes of memorizing all of the tidbits. Kaplan covers almost all of what you'll see, and I suggest you study from this resource only. The only way you can get every little tidbit right is if you have a good biology background (like a bio major or something).

Gen Chem and Orgo: I was a chemistry major, so I had a very good background on this subject. With that said, I vaguely remembered orgo but still had tons of reviewing to do. I remembered gen chem pretty well, but I still studied a good amount for it.
Strongly suggested: Here is where I will give my strongest endorsement. The Kaplan program is absolutely dominant at these 2 sections. I don't care that I was a chem major, I didn't remember much orgo and I know other people who didn't remember much chemistry either and did very well here after the program. If you know the flash cards and the book sections inside and out, you will not be unprepared for a single question. The orgo flashcards were especially invaluable for this reason: (there are tons of orgo reactions out there, but only a set number that the DAT will test you on. It is a waste of time trying to memorize all of those random reactions when Kaplan has pinpointed all of the ones that have potential to show up on the DAT). Really, if you go off of Kaplan for these 2 sections, you will be golden.

PAT: None of us really have a prior advantage or disadvantage on others here, unless you are very unique individual. I did well on this part, but I could have done better (it was my worst section) and I don't want you to fall into the same pitfall that I did. Studying for the PAT is different than the other sections because it is mostly just taking practices, compared with conventional reading/studying. The reason why this is significant and that I got tripped up on it is because I was uncomfortable with getting instant feedback. I didn't like to see that my scores were below what I was aiming for. With the other sections, you can just read a ton and look at questions here and there, but with the PAT you get instant results each and every time you try studying for it, which can screw with you if the scores aren't where you want them to be. So here is my general advice for this section: you will need to practice out the ying-yang for it, and seriously don't give a crap what your scores are (just make sure to do this early enough so that you aren't feeling any pressure with the DAT creeping up on you). Keep doing them, and you will get better.

I also suggest sitting back once and a while and evaluating your strategy on this section. Onto the reviews
Recommended, but not strongly: Kaplan was a decent starting point, but you cannot rely on Kaplan for this section. There simply isn't enough practice, which is what you will ultimately need. Onto my strongly suggested section, let me tell you the one instance where Kaplan will straight-up screw you (the one and only part of Kaplan that will actually harm you if you follow it. For everything else, it will help you to one degree or another, but this will actually hurt you!)
Strongly recommended: *************READ THIS****************** Kaplan angle ranking will absolutely screw you like nobody's business if you take that for all of your practice for the DAT. The angle ranking on Kaplan is stupid easy - you will miss only 1 or 2 out of 15 on Kaplan without even trying, but the DAT is nothing like that. I realized this about 4 days before the test, and it stressed me out like crazy. Now for the real recommendation: The Crack the DAT (the PAT section) is all you need to study for this section. Practice this tons, and you will do well (I know someone who studied this a lot more than me and got a 26 on it). I will give you some general pro-tips on this section.

Pro tip #1: You will probably suck at angle ranking small differences in angles (and maybe even larger ones for Crack the PAT), and I am not even sure if it is possible for normal humans to tell a difference between 3 degrees. You can probably get to be 50/50 on these, but don't worry too much. The real DAT isn't going to throw a bunch of mega-hard ones at you, just practice a lot and do the best you can.

Pro tip #2: Do the angle ranking in practice mode - you will get better at telling small differences

Pro tip #3: Kaplan (and others) likes to tell you a lot of bogus strategies for the PAT section. They are a company, and you paid to have them show you something useful. If the only useful information to show is exceedingly obvious, they might come up with stupid strategies that aren't actually useful just so that they have something to show. For example, they recommend making a tally of the cubes and their sides; however, I found this to take up too much time and it was super-easy to do these questions on the fly anyways. Another issue is whether you should try to search for the correct answer, or cross of the wrong answers to find the right one. Also for angle-ranking, some people say hold your finger up to the screen, tilt your head a certain way, imagine an alligator's mouth clamping down, imagine a ski slope, etc. All of these recommendations are a thought, but I wouldn't pay much attention to any of them. Practice a lot and come up with what works well for you.

Pro tip #4: Both Kaplan and Crack the DAT have some questions interspersed that are rather difficult/impossible/(possibly straight-up incorrect). They are uncommon, but don't be surprised if you see one either. This is especially true with keyholes, but be careful: with keyhole questions, you really have to look for small details in the way things are drawn to find the correct answer.

Pro tip #5: Time: manage it well for this section.
Ones you should burn through: cube counting, angle ranking
Ones you should semi-burn through: hole punching
The other 3 are pretty variable from person to person, depending on what you're good at. Just make it work

Pro tip #6: Line counting is a valuable tool for top/front/end. Definitely don't rely on it too much, but it is nice to know.

Summary of PAT: I could talk some more about PAT, but I don't wanna make this even longer than it already is. Basically, practice Crack the PAT a lot for this section, and don't let Kaplan pull a fast one on you with their bs angle ranking.

Reading: You can't really practice too much for this one. As for strategy, I would definitely recommend just reading the paragraph quickly and then try to answer the questions.
1. Don't not read the passages and just scan for the answer (ugly phrasing, sorry, I know). They definitely give you enough time to read all the way through (I accidentally kicked the power cord from the outlet, and was still fine) (by the way, you just plug it back in and you still have your test, nothing bad happens).
2. Don't try taking notes or otherwise waste your time. Just read it quickly, go to the questions, and go back to the passage for scanning purposes if you don't know the answer.

Math: I can't really offer too much advice on this subject, because I was already pretty prepared for it coming in. The first practice test I took, I got smoked on the math section because of a lack of time, but it went well after that. I can't give you advice for a "Oh hey, go look here for everything that you need to know" resource. I'll tell you what I did notice from Kaplan and the DAT, though.

1. Kaplan's online stuff is pretty good at some of the more uncommon/tricky math questions that most people aren't as used to doing. I am talking about stuff like:
-Combinations/permutations
-Probability

2. Know your trig for the DAT. I especially mean like the sin/cos/tan for 30,45,60,90 degrees etc.

Honestly, I don't really feel too qualified to grade Kaplan (or give advice) on the math section because I was already prepared for the section coming in and didn't use it as a resource. I glanced over the book, and my gut feeling is you probably need a little more practice than Kaplan gives you.

If you cannot afford the Kaplan course

Here is my section if you want the advantages of the Kaplan studying but don't want to pay the price. Let me say before-hand though that it is worth the price and you should get it if you can afford it. Buying the Kaplan study program is an investment in your future, and I think it will pay for itself in the long-term benefits you reap (your score will improve, and I believe it will be good). If getting the program is simply not an option, then my "Plan B" would be to find someone on ebay who has taken the course and get all of their materials except their online access (make sure to get both the book and the flashcards. The others (like the crappy review sheets, and I don't even know if there's anything else) aren't necessary, but those other 2 are definitely worth it). If you can't get your hands on the flashcards, you can always just try getting the book. However, the flashcards were super-valuable for Orgo, and very valuable for gen chem and biology.

That's my advice for the DAT. I hope that the information was useful for you if you stuck through the entire post. Also if you have any questions about how much it costs to apply or any other financial stuff (or logistics of interviews or anything else), let me know and I'll try to get back to you. I've never read any posts here and I don't really plan on coming back either, so post in this thread if you have a question so I get an email alert. Anyways, good luck with studying and have fun!!!

For google purposes: How to study for the DAT

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's what I was wondering. They did really well but don't want to post their GPA or DAT scores...hmmmmm. Go on and on about how awesome Kaplan is with no mention of any other source of study ie Destroyer, Chad's, Cliff's, etc. I'm not bashing Kaplan by any means but this sounds more like a sales pitch than a legit breakdown.

I don't work for Kaplan, I applied to dental schools this past summer and am going through the interview process. The reason why I talked so much about Kaplan is because that is pretty much the only tool I used to study, and that is the only one I really feel qualified to talk about. My intention of this post was two-fold:
1. To those who are just starting to study for the DAT and aren't sure how to start, I know that this worked for me
2. To those who are already interested in Kaplan, I wanted them to know exactly what they would get if they actually bought the product. It is very expensive, so I thought it would be helpful to others to know what they were getting.

I know that posting my gpa/DAT scores would help to give you better context on how I did on the DAT, but I'd simply rather keep them to myself and have this post not be about me but instead be for others. Also while I did point out where I thought Kaplan was very good, do you think I would say how it completely sucks on the PAT or how I questioned how much it helps for math? Honestly, I put a lot of time into studying for the DAT, and I just wanted to pass on my knowledge to others who may not know how to start studying.

As for not mentioning the other study resources, I just want to say that I never really looked around for other resources (in fact, I've never even heard of those except for the destroyer). I took the DAT during my senior year, and 2 or 3 or my classmates who had the same major and academic background as I do took it the year before I did. They did really well, so I just decided to do what they did and it worked for me as well. I borrowed the DAT Destroy book from one of those friends, but I really didn't use it that much. My plan was to do a lot of those practice questions after everything that I studied, but I simply didn't have enough time and I hardly used the DAT Destroyer. I could have postponed the test and studied more with the destroyer, but I was feeling good about the academic stuff anyways and there was no way I was going to spend the last semester of my senior year studying so much for the DAT.

I'm sure that there are other resources out there, but I know for sure that this worked very well for those who used it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's some proof for you, I actually ended up with 2 copies of the Kaplan DAT materials, one was the set I used and the other I was sent to me for another reason (I complained about not receiving the 1st soon enough, so they sent me a 2nd with expedited shipping). The screen shot I attached is my Ebay account reviews from other customers, look at the item I sold to mockingbead in April (notice right after I took the test in March).

I'm sure there are other ways to study. This is how I did it and what I thought of it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 10.07.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 10.07.58 PM.png
    624.4 KB · Views: 140
In fact, I actually got the idea for this post from the description that I put while trying to sell those 2 copies of "Kaplan DAT Course - All Materials", that's probably why it sounded a bit like I was trying to sell you on the product. Honestly though, I believe in everything I said and I just wanted to throw it out there for anyone who might be interested.

I didn't mean to offend you and I'm sorry if I did. I'm glad that course really worked out well for you. I had thought about getting Kaplan's DAT book.

It's ok and I'm not offended, I just spent some time writing the review and didn't want to be confused for a sales-person

The first practice exam I took (before I knew anything about the format or what would be asked), I got about a 19 PAT and academic average. I didn't take too many practice exams seriously like I would the DAT (1. I didn't really like practicing reading and math, and 2. They take pretty long to do, and 3. Kaplan has this annoying glitch where when you're reviewing your questions, it's very easy to skip to the next section before you finish answering them all and it will make your score seem worse than it actually is). However after studying for a bit (but not at the end yet), I got it to around a 22 AA and a 21 PAT. When was taking the DAT, I felt really good about everything except the PAT section where I thought I was getting smoked (I was still stressed about it kind of and not as prepared as I would have wanted with the angle ranking (because of Kaplan's crappy angle ranking help) ). Anyways, I ended up doing better on the DAT than any of the practice exams, and my lowest score on any section was a 22 PAT. If you're trying to compare practice tests with the real one, I'd say they are pretty similar, but the higher score was mostly due to more preparation (this happened for my friends as well).

A warning though:
1. I studied a lot, and don't get false expectations about what I did. A lot of factors (previous academic experience, how much time/dedication/effort, how you're feeling on test day, which questions pop up on your exam, and luck to a certain extent) determine how you will do on the DAT in addition to the resources you choose to use to study. However, I definitely think that what I did helped me a lot and can do it for others as well.

Just a random thought I had after I saw some people using Cliff AP Bio to review (as well as other resources not geared specifically for the DAT):
1. I'm sure it has a lot of good information in it that is valuable to know for the DAT, but there is probably some stuff in there too that will never show up on the DAT and is wasting your limited studying time if your ultimate goal is to get the highest score you can on the DAT. The Kaplan book is actually designed specifically for the test, so your odds of wasting time is going to be lower when using it.
2. Furthermore, the other review materials may be lacking in content. For example, when I was just about to start studying I asked my friend if I should pick up my huge orgo textbook and start studying from it before the Kaplan materials came in, and she said it was a waste of time for these above 2 reasons. Numerous reactions that I saw in Kaplan (and DAT practice tests) were never covered in my orgo class or book, and there were millions of extra reactions that will never pop up on the DAT. There were about 150-200 flashcards that Kaplan has for the orgo section (don't quote me on that, it varies from section to section and I don't really remember), and some of them were chemical reactions and some weren't; however, I never saw a reaction on a DAT practice test or the DAT itself that wasn't covered in one of those flashcards or the Kaplan book. This is one of the reasons why I recommended Kaplan so highly for the science section.

Anyways, I guess I just want to say that there is value in trying to study smarter and not necessarily harder (although that certainly helps as well).

Also in the spirit of being impartial, one of those friends who took it a year before me and had the same background as me did not do the Kaplan course, but he had some other stuff (the DAT destroyer, Crack the DAT - PAT only, idk what else) and he did very well as well (but I think this way is slightly more effective than whatever he did).

Last edited:
What kind of flashcards are included with a typical Kaplan flashcard pack? I would like a set of some good flashcards. If you had other resources and were onlu going to buy one kaplan item would the flashcards be it?

When you buy the online course, you get:
1. Online access - This has
a) little lecture-like videos (Fine if you like being lectured at, but most everything is in the book)
b) little 10-question quizzes after the videos (Useful but not essential: you'd find similar practice questions elsewhere)
c) practice tests (Useful, but not essential: these were nice because they simulate the tests on a computer, but like I said above, I never really used these as typical practice tests. I just liked them because they had more questions to practice with. Anyways, you can find practice tests and gobs of practice questions elsewhere if you want).
Basically, the online access was nice but definitely not essential.

2. Kaplan study book
It has the usual Sections (Math, Sciences, whatever) and breaks the sections up by chapters. Great

3. Kaplan tutorial book - Literally a waste of time (you're supposed to take notes in it while you watch lectures). Never opened it.

4. Kaplan flashcards - Great
I) You get 4 packets of flashcards: 1 each for math, bio, gen chem, and orgo. I absolutely loved the orgo ones. The bio and gen chem were both very useful for brute memorization as well. I can't really give you a judgement on the math ones, but they followed the other 3 categories pretty similarly in form. I remember the biology pack of cards being the biggest (over 200, maybe 230 or so idk), and math pack was the smallest (maybe 120?? really don't know).

5. Review sheets for the sciences and math - These were really crappy, they were literally 2 pages front/back with really obvious info that you should know already.

6. I'm pretty positive the above 5 are it, and if I'm missing something I'm certain that it was stupid and wouldn't help.

Basically from the above, the book and flashcards are what I liked the most (the online access was more of a convenience than anything else, but I'm still glad I got the whole package).

Sorry for the long break-down of what you get in the Kaplan pack, but the answer to your 1st question is bullet point 4 above. As for the 2nd question, it's harder to say. I thought the book really provided a good context for the flashcards (where you'd read the book, know what's going on but don't remember every detail, and then the flashcards come in to reinforce and memorize all of the details). The flashcards by themselves are very valuable, just make sure you know the context behind them so that you're not just blindly memorizing things that don't make sense to you.

It sounds like you already have a book or some other hefty resource that you want to use, so if I had to answer the 2nd question, I'd say get the flashcards before the book. It's kinda of hard to choose an answer though because I thought that they played really well off of each other.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have been reading through Cliff's AP Biology, Barron's AP Biology and Ferali's notes for...well...the biology section (reading through each chapter twice/book and then once in Ferali's notes for that particular section before moving on), watching and taking diligent notes on Chad's videos for QR, GC, and OC (I watch a couple videos, take notes and then re-copy those notes into a nice composition book the next day before moving on), and trying to read a science article per day to help with RC. Having a big art background I have a very good sense of visualizing something in 3D just by looking at it and I've take a couple timed practice PAT tests just for fun and scored 23ish so I haven't really been practicing PAT that much. Since it's been 5+ years since I've had any chemistry or organic and most of the biology, I'm concentrating on that. It would be nice to have a great set of flashcards to supplement my other materials.

Yeah it sounds like the book would be more of a hindrance to you than a help, it'd just be information overload and tons of overlap with what you already know. The flashcards could be an easy way to study though, and I liked them a lot for the sciences (especially orgo, but the other 2 sciences were really good too, idk about math). I don't know if you can go to Kaplan to buy them directly (The closest I saw was this: http://www.amazon.com/DAT-OAT-Flashcards-Kaplan-Staff/dp/B00330IMLI but without a picture, I really don't know what they're selling (you can always message and ask) ).

You can always try calling Kaplan to see if they sell those independently of other stuff.

I saw some on Ebay, but they were packaged with other study materials as well. The cards in this picture look exactly like the ones I had, I'd just make sure to ask and make sure they're what you want (DAT all 4 sections, and no missing cards, and maybe even ask if you can buy the cards separately).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaplan-DAT-...6?pt=US_Texbook_Education&hash=item3cd80c4432

Oh btw, I should mention that those flashcards are the same whether or not they are for the DAT or the OAT; however, the OAT also tests on physics so you might see these cards floating around. You can just toss the physics section.

That's cool that you're already good at the PAT, I'm the exact opposite with art :) Good luck studying!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 3.05.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 3.05.31 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 64
Thanks a lot for those. I'll definitely check them out.

I also did some searching and I found some on a site called quizlet where users post flash cards and whatnot. I did a search on there for kaplan dat and a bunch of ones came up. I don't know if they're from the actual flashcards or not but if I couldn't buy the actual Kaplan cards separately I could always go to that site and just copy each one by hand onto note cards. There are a few hundred for bio, about 200 for gen chem, a little over 100 for orgo and about 70 or so for math.

I glanced at them, and they're definitely coming from Kaplan; however, there were a decent number of cards (I know math had some, bio had some, and orgo section had the most) that had pictures on them, and none of the ones I saw there had pictures. I'm guessing they either omitted them or tried to make them into text format. I liked having the pictures, but it's up to you how much you think you'll benefit.

Hmmmmm I do have an easier time with visual aids rather than just words so maybe I'll check out the real things.

Yeah that's what I'd recommend, I'm a really visual learner and those flashcards were hard for me to read when I was looking at them.

Thank you for posting this! I have been using only Kaplan and really didn't know if it is worth it to purchase destroyer, chad's bio videos, qvault, cliff notes, bootcamp, etc. After reading your post, I will buy the CrackPAT and maybe destroyer but will stick with Kaplan.

Since you are familiar with Kaplan, can I ask advice on studying/postponing my exam?

I recently finished the DAT course but need to do the preview and review homework. Unfortunately, I took 2 weeks of studying off and am feeling anxious about taking the exam in only 5 weeks. My diagnostic in early April was a 12 PAT and a 13 AA. I think if I took a practice test now, I would probably have around a 15 for both, but I plan on seeing where I am this week. Do you think I can finish my Kaplan and CrackPAT studying in 5 weeks or should I postpone? I really want a first round interview in Sept, but I know preparing and studying for the DAT is more important right now. What are your thoughts on postponing?

Also, should I alternate between studying subject during the day or just during the week?

Thanks.

Hey everyone,

Warning before you read: this is a very long post, but I feel like everything I have said contains valuable information for those who are beginning to study for the DAT and want good advice. If you already have a study plan, that's cool and you might wanna skip this post so it doesn't make you nervous or anything (however, do read my part that says ********READ THIS******** if you are using Kaplan).

I took the DAT last March and did very well on it (I'd rather not share my GPA/scores, but they were both extremely good), and now that people are starting to study for it again, I just wanted to share with everyone my take on how I studied and the resources that I used. I started studying just after Christmas (for a total of just over 3 months of studying), but I never did any marathon 8+ hour study sessions until the week before the exam (although I was consistent about studying - don't take long stretches off (those long stretches hurt because 1. you're not studying and 2. you forget material you've already learned) ).

I used the following 2 items exclusively, and found them to be completely sufficient for studying for all of the DAT. You will probably want to study math more than I did, but I think you'll be in a really good position if you do what I did for the other sections.

1. Kaplan online course (DAT on demand here: http://www.kaptest.com/DAT-NBDE/Home/index.html)
Note that I took the course (which is very expensive, ~$1300). You can get away without the course (although I definitely would recommend doing it for the extras if you can afford it), but I'll address a less expensive option at the end.

This is $200 (get the royal flush edition if you can afford it, the extra features are worth the higher price (also compared with the Kaplan online course, an extra $100 shouldn't be that big of a deal) ).

Science

Biology:
I didn't remember any biology from high school, and I took the DAT midway through my 2nd semester of intro bio.
Strongly suggested: I strongly endorse Kaplan here. The Kaplan program was really great for studying for this section. I didn't have tons of formal preparation before the DAT, and I studied for at least 1/2 of the material without having taken a class on it. If you follow Kaplan closely on this subject, you should do very well on the DAT. With that said, there will be maybe 2-4 questions that show up on your DAT that weren't in this Kaplan book. Kaplan is not all-inclusive on this section, but here's the thing about the biology section: there is just way too many random tidbits of information for a study material to be all-inclusive on this subject. You have to balance time with efficiency, and it is simply not worth your time to try to scour a much bigger resource in the hopes of memorizing all of the tidbits. Kaplan covers almost all of what you'll see, and I suggest you study from this resource only. The only way you can get every little tidbit right is if you have a good biology background (like a bio major or something).

Gen Chem and Orgo: I was a chemistry major, so I had a very good background on this subject. With that said, I vaguely remembered orgo but still had tons of reviewing to do. I remembered gen chem pretty well, but I still studied a good amount for it.
Strongly suggested: Here is where I will give my strongest endorsement. The Kaplan program is absolutely dominant at these 2 sections. I don't care that I was a chem major, I didn't remember much orgo and I know other people who didn't remember much chemistry either and did very well here after the program. If you know the flash cards and the book sections inside and out, you will not be unprepared for a single question. The orgo flashcards were especially invaluable for this reason: (there are tons of orgo reactions out there, but only a set number that the DAT will test you on. It is a waste of time trying to memorize all of those random reactions when Kaplan has pinpointed all of the ones that have potential to show up on the DAT). Really, if you go off of Kaplan for these 2 sections, you will be golden.

PAT: None of us really have a prior advantage or disadvantage on others here, unless you are very unique individual. I did well on this part, but I could have done better (it was my worst section) and I don't want you to fall into the same pitfall that I did. Studying for the PAT is different than the other sections because it is mostly just taking practices, compared with conventional reading/studying. The reason why this is significant and that I got tripped up on it is because I was uncomfortable with getting instant feedback. I didn't like to see that my scores were below what I was aiming for. With the other sections, you can just read a ton and look at questions here and there, but with the PAT you get instant results each and every time you try studying for it, which can screw with you if the scores aren't where you want them to be. So here is my general advice for this section: you will need to practice out the ying-yang for it, and seriously don't give a crap what your scores are (just make sure to do this early enough so that you aren't feeling any pressure with the DAT creeping up on you). Keep doing them, and you will get better.

I also suggest sitting back once and a while and evaluating your strategy on this section. Onto the reviews
Recommended, but not strongly: Kaplan was a decent starting point, but you cannot rely on Kaplan for this section. There simply isn't enough practice, which is what you will ultimately need. Onto my strongly suggested section, let me tell you the one instance where Kaplan will straight-up screw you (the one and only part of Kaplan that will actually harm you if you follow it. For everything else, it will help you to one degree or another, but this will actually hurt you!)
Strongly recommended: *************READ THIS****************** Kaplan angle ranking will absolutely screw you like nobody's business if you take that for all of your practice for the DAT. The angle ranking on Kaplan is stupid easy - you will miss only 1 or 2 out of 15 on Kaplan without even trying, but the DAT is nothing like that. I realized this about 4 days before the test, and it stressed me out like crazy. Now for the real recommendation: The Crack the DAT (the PAT section) is all you need to study for this section. Practice this tons, and you will do well (I know someone who studied this a lot more than me and got a 26 on it). I will give you some general pro-tips on this section.

Pro tip #1: You will probably suck at angle ranking small differences in angles (and maybe even larger ones for Crack the PAT), and I am not even sure if it is possible for normal humans to tell a difference between 3 degrees. You can probably get to be 50/50 on these, but don't worry too much. The real DAT isn't going to throw a bunch of mega-hard ones at you, just practice a lot and do the best you can.

Pro tip #2: Do the angle ranking in practice mode - you will get better at telling small differences

Pro tip #3: Kaplan (and others) likes to tell you a lot of bogus strategies for the PAT section. They are a company, and you paid to have them show you something useful. If the only useful information to show is exceedingly obvious, they might come up with stupid strategies that aren't actually useful just so that they have something to show. For example, they recommend making a tally of the cubes and their sides; however, I found this to take up too much time and it was super-easy to do these questions on the fly anyways. Another issue is whether you should try to search for the correct answer, or cross of the wrong answers to find the right one. Also for angle-ranking, some people say hold your finger up to the screen, tilt your head a certain way, imagine an alligator's mouth clamping down, imagine a ski slope, etc. All of these recommendations are a thought, but I wouldn't pay much attention to any of them. Practice a lot and come up with what works well for you.

Pro tip #4: Both Kaplan and Crack the DAT have some questions interspersed that are rather difficult/impossible/(possibly straight-up incorrect). They are uncommon, but don't be surprised if you see one either. This is especially true with keyholes, but be careful: with keyhole questions, you really have to look for small details in the way things are drawn to find the correct answer.

The other 3 are pretty variable from person to person, depending on what you're good at. Just make it work

Pro tip #6: Line counting is a valuable tool for top/front/end. Definitely don't rely on it too much, but it is nice to know.

Summary of PAT: I could talk some more about PAT, but I don't wanna make this even longer than it already is. Basically, practice Crack the PAT a lot for this section, and don't let Kaplan pull a fast one on you with their bs angle ranking.

Reading: You can't really practice too much for this one. As for strategy, I would definitely recommend just reading the paragraph quickly and then try to answer the questions.
1. Don't not read the passages and just scan for the answer (ugly phrasing, sorry, I know). They definitely give you enough time to read all the way through (I accidentally kicked the power cord from the outlet, and was still fine) (by the way, you just plug it back in and you still have your test, nothing bad happens).
2. Don't try taking notes or otherwise waste your time. Just read it quickly, go to the questions, and go back to the passage for scanning purposes if you don't know the answer.

Math: I can't really offer too much advice on this subject, because I was already pretty prepared for it coming in. The first practice test I took, I got smoked on the math section because of a lack of time, but it went well after that. I can't give you advice for a "Oh hey, go look here for everything that you need to know" resource. I'll tell you what I did notice from Kaplan and the DAT, though.

1. Kaplan's online stuff is pretty good at some of the more uncommon/tricky math questions that most people aren't as used to doing. I am talking about stuff like:
-Probability

2. Know your trig for the DAT. I especially mean like the sin/cos/tan for 30,45,60,90 degrees etc.

Honestly, I don't really feel too qualified to grade Kaplan (or give advice) on the math section because I was already prepared for the section coming in and didn't use it as a resource. I glanced over the book, and my gut feeling is you probably need a little more practice than Kaplan gives you.

Here is my section if you want the advantages of the Kaplan studying but don't want to pay the price. Let me say before-hand though that it is worth the price and you should get it if you can afford it. Buying the Kaplan study program is an investment in your future, and I think it will pay for itself in the long-term benefits you reap (your score will improve, and I believe it will be good). If getting the program is simply not an option, then my "Plan B" would be to find someone on ebay who has taken the course and get all of their materials except their online access (make sure to get both the book and the flashcards. The others (like the crappy review sheets, and I don't even know if there's anything else) aren't necessary, but those other 2 are definitely worth it). If you can't get your hands on the flashcards, you can always just try getting the book. However, the flashcards were super-valuable for Orgo, and very valuable for gen chem and biology.

That's my advice for the DAT. I hope that the information was useful for you if you stuck through the entire post. Also if you have any questions about how much it costs to apply or any other financial stuff (or logistics of interviews or anything else), let me know and I'll try to get back to you. I've never read any posts here and I don't really plan on coming back either, so post in this thread if you have a question so I get an email alert. Anyways, good luck with studying and have fun!!!

Thanks a lot for those. I'll definitely check them out.

I also did some searching and I found some on a site called quizlet where users post flash cards and whatnot. I did a search on there for kaplan dat and a bunch of ones came up. I don't know if they're from the actual flashcards or not but if I couldn't buy the actual Kaplan cards separately I could always go to that site and just copy each one by hand onto note cards. There are a few hundred for bio, about 200 for gen chem, a little over 100 for orgo and about 70 or so for math.
Hey everyone,

Science

Biology:

-Probability

Thank you for posting this! I have been using only Kaplan and really didn't know if it is worth it to purchase destroyer, chad's bio videos, qvault, cliff notes, bootcamp, etc. After reading your post, I will buy the CrackPAT and maybe destroyer but will stick with Kaplan.

Since you are familiar with Kaplan, can I ask advice on studying/postponing my exam?

I recently finished the DAT course but need to do the preview and review homework. Unfortunately, I took 2 weeks of studying off and am feeling anxious about taking the exam in only 5 weeks. My diagnostic in early April was a 12 PAT and a 13 AA. I think if I took a practice test now, I would probably have around a 15 for both, but I plan on seeing where I am this week. Do you think I can finish my Kaplan and CrackPAT studying in 5 weeks or should I postpone? I really want a first round interview in Sept, but I know preparing and studying for the DAT is more important right now. What are your thoughts on postponing?

Also, should I alternate between studying subject during the day or just during the week?

Thanks.

Not the OP, but I personally hated CrackPAT... used it twice then never touched it again. Bootcamp is much more representative, and is a better bang for your buck.

Thanks.
Bootcamp might be better than CrackPAT, but I never tried it out. I just glanced at it, and it looks nice. Regardless, you probably should only need 1 item you trust to study for the PAT. I wouldn't try to get an overabundance of study resources. Instead I would stick with material that you trust from reviews and judging from your own experience, and really concentrate on getting that material down. There's always going to be more material that you can study, and some of them might be really good. In the end, all of this is about getting a good DAT score, and there are multiple study tools that can independently get you there.

As for your original question, it sounds like you took the in-person Kaplan course whereas I took the online course. What is the preview and review homework? With my course, there was this one really huge book that gave in-depth information about the science and math sections. Have you read those yet? Also, have you done anything with the science and math flashcards? I don't know what exactly you meant when you said that you finished the DAT course. Regardless, 5 weeks is a lot of time to study and you can definitely get a ton of work done in that time. Do you have obligations this summer, or are you free to study as much as you want? Also you mentioned that you want a first round interview in September, and I was wondering how much of the AADSAS application that you have completed. Have you finished writing your personal statement?

Here is my gut feeling for your DAT:

Look into all of your different options, just so that you know what is available. I would look into the rescheduling policy for the DAT. How late can you postpone your decision on whether or not to take it? Find that out, and do your best to study up to that date. When that date comes around and if you feel like you won't be prepared when the DAT comes, then consider rescheduling it. Also test dates fill up in advance - look at what test dates are available right now. If you need to reschedule your DAT, you can use that information to judge when is the soonest you could reschedule the test for. Sometimes people don't score what they would like to on the first time, and they take it a second time. There might be a limit like you can't retake the test for "X" number of days. Find out if a policy like that exists.

5 weeks is a lot of time to study for it, especially if you don't have any obligations this summer besides the AADSAS application. My gut says that if you put your mind to it, you can do it in 5 weeks if you're dedicated. I liked to do multiple subjects on the same day, just because it was my personal preference. I liked splitting it up, but do whatever you like with that.

There are 2 more aspects that I want to touch on. There is this nice book that I would recommend everyone applying to dental school get. It's called the 2014 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools (here is a link http://www.adea.org/publications/Pages/OfficialGuide.aspx). It systematically goes through every single dental school in the nation, and gives you useful stats on them (tuition, pre-requisites, average DAT scores, etc. basically a ton of useful information). In that book, the average DAT score for most schools hovered around 18-20 for all of the sections. I would aim to score for at least an 18. It is possible to get into dental school with a lower score, but having a good DAT score undoubtedly helps.

The last objective thing that I have to say is about interviews and how rescheduling your DAT date might affect when you interview. It doesn't matter if you get an interview in September or November. The first day that school decisions are allowed to come out (at least how it was the past couple of years) is the first weekday in December. I think schools do all of their Fall interviews, and towards the middle-end of November decide who they will offer the first-round acceptances to. As long as you get a Fall interview, it doesn't matter when it is. The earlier that you get your completed application into schools, the higher odds are that you'll get a Fall interview. Schools will have deadlines like "you need to get your completed application in by 'X' date to be considered for a Fall interview. With your DAT date currently scheduled for around the middle of July, that should work for a Fall interview with some schools, but it might not for others. I applied for 5 schools, and only 1 of them had a deadline that you would miss for a Fall interview (Indiana University). If you have to reschedule your DAT, you're probably going to have to wait for January or later interviews (which is non-ideal for obvious reasons; you learn about acceptances later and you have lower odds). That's something that you're going to have to balance when deciding whether or not to reschedule the DAT.

You said that you were nervous about the DAT, and that's completely natural. Everyone I know who has taken the DAT was nervous about it. Looking at the entire application process for dental school at once is daunting, but the key is to focus on one step at a time and do that step as best you can. In total, my advice for you is this: know when is the latest date that you can reschedule the DAT, and study hard up until that date without being distracted by stress of the application process (and work on your personal statement/other application stuff if need be). If you think you'll be ready for the DAT, then great and keep studying. If not, then you're going to need to balance the different factors and decide what to do. Good luck with studying, and I hope that all of this stuff works out well for you :)