How I went from a 26 to a 43

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeyMCAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys my name's Mike and I took the MCAT back in April. I scored a 43 on it, putting me in the 99.9th percentile of test takers. Before I started studying for the MCAT I took a practice test and scored a 26. I spent about 5 months prepping for the test and by the time I went into the testing center I was averaging ~40 on my full-lengths. I read SDN a good amount while I was studying for the exam and benefited from the valuable advice I found on these forums. Now that I'm done with the test, I want to share some tricks I learned along the way while I was preparing.

Have the proper mindset

Realize that the MCAT is an "academic Olympics" that'll let you show admission committees that you're intellectually ready for medical school. The preparation process is tiresome and grueling but it helps to remain excited about this opportunity to show med schools that you're willing to put in the time and effort that it takes to succeed.

This is a little bit cheesy but I watched some YouTube videos for motivation whenever I got discouraged.

Here are some inspiring videos that may give you that extra push whenever you're feeling unmotivated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEGSiX0JA-s
Don't let some test prevent you from achieving your dreams. Protect them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ&feature=related
You need to want success as bad as you want to breathe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lPBVoO-4s&feature=related
Part 2 of how bad do you want it.

Give yourself an appropriate amount of time

Now that you're pumped to ace this thing, make sure you give yourself an adequate amount of time to succeed! You've spent hundreds of hours volunteering, studying for prereq's, doing research, and all these other amazing things to make you a competitive applicant for medical school. Why would you compromise all of that by rushing yourself to take this test?

If you have any gaps in foundational knowledge, take the time to eliminate them. If you have weak areas, keep practicing those areas so you can turn them into strengths! Don't walk into that test center hoping that you don't get a question in a subject you're weak in. Keep practicing and keep reviewing until you feel confident about every topic.

AAMC lists every topic of every section here:
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/

It's helpful to go through each section and to check off all the topics where you need extra work.

Study Smarter, Not Harder

This blog article from Study Hacks was one of the most helpful articles I've ever read. Not only does it help you to succeed with the MCAT but also with any other skill that requires practice.

http://calnewport.com/blog/2010/01/06/the-grandmaster-in-the-corner-office-what-the-study-of-chess-experts-teaches-us-about-building-a-remarkable-life/

If you want a summarized version, it's this: Becoming exceptional at something requires hours. Lots of them. But time isn't the only requirement. In order to become truly great at something you also need to spend your time practicing deliberately. This means that all of your preparation time should be geared towards improving performance.

How does that translate to MCAT prep? Well, your objective is to score as many points as possible. How do you do that? By answering questions correctly. So whenever you're studying, don't lose sight of the fact that you're primary objective is to be able to answer those pesky test questions.

I learned early on in my preparation that the absolute best way to practice deliberately was to answer and review practice questions. I know it's kind of obvious, but you'd be amazed by the amount of people I've met who have dedicated the majority of their prep time solely to content review. The key for me was to try to answer as many MCAT questions as possible before I walked into the testing center. Whenever I got a question wrong or if I was unsure about it, I reviewed everything about the question to make sure that I'd never get a similar question like it wrong again. If you just spend your time reading and rereading all those prep books without reinforcing the knowledge with questions, you'll have trouble making the facts "stick."

Another benefit of answering plenty of practice questions is that you'll begin to see patterns in the way questions are asked. For example, for chem topics like making I-C-E tables or electrochem, I had trouble identifying exactly what the questions were asking. I knew all of the formulas and background information from the prep books, but I didn't know how to apply them. After enough practice, all the application of your knowledge will become second nature.

Take advantage of interactive multimedia

When I started my preparation for the test, I read through the prep books chapter by chapter. I had trouble staying focused while I was reading because the information was just so dense. Each chapter was filled with intense terms and concepts and I found it difficult keeping them all straight in my head.

I realized that by watching videos, I could anchor my knowledge of the terms to the moving shapes and sounds of animations.

For example, I had a lot of trouble memorizing the steps of the immune response because I couldn't keep all the different cell types straight in my head. There were B cells and cytotoxic T cells and helper T cells and I just couldn't remember what each cell did or when it contributed to the immune response. I found this animation from McGraw Hill and after that I had no problem remembering the whole process!

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072495855/student_view0/chapter24/animation__the_immune_response.html

After I watched the video a couple of times I was able to "replay" the response in my head. I knew that the T helper cells were the orange blobs that would float over to the antigen presenting cells, then the macrophage and T helper cells would release bright chemicals (Interleukins) to stimulate responses from other T cells and B cells. When I had all these moving pictures in my head, I had no more trouble explaining the processes.

This can be duplicated with so many other topics that are tested in the MCAT. Search google or youtube for helpful videos or animations and I think you'll have better luck memorizing difficult concepts. Being able to visualize things was a very helpful tactic that I used to succeed on the MCAT.

Recreate test conditions

Make the absolute most out of your study time. Find yourself a quiet place with no distractions. When you're taking the MCAT you're not allowed to pause and check your Facebook or text your friends or check your email. When you're practicing for the test, recreate test conditions and stay away from all those productivity killers.

I know that it can be really difficult to just sit and focus on studying but it all goes back to your mindset! If you can't focus, find a way to motivate yourself. Remind yourself of your goals and expectations. How bad do you want success?

Don't trust one prep company

Over the 5 months that I spent preparing for the test, I used prep materials from nearly every prep company. I tried TPR, EK, TBR, Kaplan, AAMC tests, GS, you name it.

The fact of the matter is this: no prep company is perfect. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Combining materials from more than one company will help ensure that you don't have any foundational gaps. I'll write more detailed reviews of the companies in another post.

-------

Anyway that's all I have for now. I can answer any specific questions about my prep and I'd be happy to answer questions related to the contents of the test as well.

Again I want to say thanks to the SDN community for helping me to achieve my goal of crushing this test.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
Where did you get all these practice tests?

I understood you used several different companies, but I'm wondering specifically if each company has a book devoted simply to passages rather than mostly content review.

TBR has some practice exams you have to pay for, and then there's the hyperlearning workbooks, but what else? That isn't that much.

Where did you get all these practice tests?

I understood you used several different companies, but I'm wondering specifically if each company has a book devoted simply to passages rather than mostly content review.

TBR has some practice exams you have to pay for, and then there's the hyperlearning workbooks, but what else? That isn't that much.

Kaplan has 11

Members don't see this ad :)
I only need the 26...LOL. How can a human being get almost perfect score (43/45) on a chitty test like that? OP probably missed at most 4 questions out of the 144... AMAZING !

Don't trust one prep company

Over the 5 months that I spent preparing for the test, I used prep materials from nearly every prep company. I tried TPR, EK, TBR, Kaplan, AAMC tests, GS, you name it.

The fact of the matter is this: no prep company is perfect. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Combining materials from more than one company will help ensure that you don't have any foundational gaps. I'll write more detailed reviews of the companies in another post.

So did how do rate BR then?

Thanks

Also wanted to add this montage, starts out like your first, with some other movie clips--and thanks again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYKsbld6LII

Last edited:
Those videos? Totally PUMPED ME UP. Thanks for posting (that and the rest of it)!

could you by any chance list the books you used and their specific functions in your study prep?

thanks for the inspiration!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I haven't been able to respond to all the questions in my inbox and in this thread--it's been a busy semester.

Since I'll be on winter break for the next couple of weeks I'll be happy to answer any questions and give out some more advice!

could you by any chance list the books you used and their specific functions in your study prep?

thanks for the inspiration!

Sure.
1. Gen. Chem, Orgo, and Physics:
Content + Passages:
TBR

Just passages and practice questions:
TPR Science Workbook
Kaplan workbook + online question bank
EK

then, if there were topics that weren't covered that well in the TBR books, I'd scan through Kaplan, EK, and/or google to learn more.

2. Bio:
Content + Passages:
EK and Kaplan

TBR
TPR Science Workbook

again, I would google any concepts that I wanted to learn more about.

3. Verbal
Strategy:
EK Verbal Reasoning and Math Techniques

Practice Passages
EK 101
TPRH Verbal Workbook

4. Practice Tests
Kaplan, ALL the AAMC's, TBR 1-7, some GS and TPR.

And apparently the AAMC released a self assessment package. I've heard that it's useful. It can be found here:
self-assessment package

Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity, what sort of score progression did you see on your practice tests? I notice you took quite a lot of them. Did you take any of them before finishing content, or did you see a massive jump once you took your first post-content practice test?

By the way, I've noticed something you may find interesting - according to the AAMC's percentiles chart, getting a 41 would put you in the 99.9th percentile. Which means that if ~45,000 people applied this year, your score puts you comfortably within the top 45 applicants. Kind of weird to think about.

Sorry I haven't been able to respond to all the questions in my inbox and in this thread--it's been a busy semester.

Since I'll be on winter break for the next couple of weeks I'll be happy to answer any questions and give out some more advice!

Sure.
1. Gen. Chem, Orgo, and Physics:
Content + Passages:
TBR

TPR Science Workbook
Kaplan workbook + online question bank
EK

then, if there were topics that weren't covered that well in the TBR books, I'd scan through Kaplan, EK, and/or google to learn more.

2. Bio:
Content + Passages:
EK and Kaplan

TBR
TPR Science Workbook

again, I would google any concepts that I wanted to learn more about.

3. Verbal
Strategy:
EK Verbal Reasoning and Math Techniques

Practice Passages
EK 101
TPRH Verbal Workbook

4. Practice Tests
Kaplan, ALL the AAMC's, TBR 1-7, some GS and TPR.

And apparently the AAMC released a self assessment package. I've heard that it's useful. It can be found here:
self-assessment package

Thank you for sharing. You could score quite good at 26 without studying and progressed to 43 with efforts. That's impressive.

I have lame questions. How do you see the patterns of the questions? I often repeat the same mistakes and only found out it used the same concepts after so many repetition.
Reviewing the questions that i got wrong is taking a lot of time i.e. I did 500 questions and it was so time consuming to go through and tried to remember or memorize the way of asking/ testing the concepts. :sleep:

that was PRICELESS info. im doing almost all of the stuff you talked about. and i totally agree. its boring but repetition of questions n knowing in depth topics is important, as well as strategy and simulating passage and test environment.

Great thread, really inspirational! I was freaking out about timing for my MCAT and this has helped to calm me down. I still have some time before I take it and I'm hoping by following your advice and with diligence, I'll do well. Thank you.

Hey…
Nice link shared…
Its a great site for getting the information…
Thank you for sharing this great informative stuff here…

Furnace Replacement

Last edited:
Hey man I appreciate these insights! I shared the motivational videos w/ others in my life who were pursuing other dreams. They said thanks too!!

Would you recommend a prep course? it sounds like you studied on your own...can you detail how many hours per day/week, and the specific of scheduling like did you review one subject every month, etc? would appreciate it if you could break it down for me....also were you taking classes/working/volunteering/etc while studying? I think I might have to study on my own and I am really unsure of how to go about it. Thanks and congrats!

****Tip: Looking for more AAMC verbal passages? Google chris mcat stuff. He has the older versions of released AAMC FL's which means that there are 2 extra verbal passages in each of his 5 tests. If you are desperately looking for more prep materials those extra 10 passages might be helpful :) ******

So I checked those tests out and they're the same ones as the ones on the AAMC website. Am I looking at the wrong tests or is this correct? What do you mean older versions?

Would you recommend a prep course? it sounds like you studied on your own...can you detail how many hours per day/week, and the specific of scheduling like did you review one subject every month, etc? would appreciate it if you could break it down for me....also were you taking classes/working/volunteering/etc while studying? I think I might have to study on my own and I am really unsure of how to go about it. Thanks and congrats!

Hey newbie-

I think certain types of people would benefit more from a prep course than others. What's nice about prep courses is that the prep companies lay out complete schedules for you and kind of force you to keep up with your review. But if you're not willing to shell out around $2000 for a prep course, the sn2ed schedule does a great job of laying out what you should be doing each day.

If you're the type of person that would be able to make your own schedule, or if you're sure that you'd be able to stick to the sn2ed schedule.. then a prep course might not be that valuable.

Prep courses also include online or live lectures that cover each MCAT topic. These can be useful for review, but the fact is, you do most of your MCAT learning by yourself when you're reading prep books or going over practice questions. Also I think youtube videos, prep books, and the internet can be just as good (if not better) at explaining concepts compared to review company teachers.

I personally had all of winter break and the majority of spring semester to study for the MCAT. During winter break, I was doing research; and during the spring semester, I had a full course load, volunteering, research, etc. So it's doable.

I mostly stuck to the sn2ed schedule but I didn't do any of the hat trick stuff and I also completed a lot more practice questions and full lengths from the other prep companies.

So I checked those tests out and they're the same ones as the ones on the AAMC website. Am I looking at the wrong tests or is this correct? What do you mean older versions?

Check them again. They're the old (longer) versions of the MCAT. The verbal sections on those tests have 9 passages instead of 7 that are on the current practice full-lengths released by the AAMC.

Regardless, I'd strongly recommend buying all the practice tests that are available on the AAMC website and completing each and every one of them! They're a very useful practice resource.

Hello,
Thanks for the comments/advice. Did you notice during your preparation that your percentage scored correctly on practice exams varied from your composite score? For example, I am scoring in 60~70% correct however my composite scores are in the low twenties. 45*0.60 is a 27; however my practice composite score says a 21. The first time I took the actual exam, I went back and looked at the percentage correct I had on my last practice test prior and it matched my actual composite score by simple calculation. I know there is a curve and its based on other takers, however am I the only one noticing this? By this reason of thought, one could presumably answer 100% of the questions accurately and receive a score in the 30's....??

Hello,
Thanks for the comments/advice. Did you notice during your preparation that your percentage scored correctly on practice exams varied from your composite score? For example, I am scoring in 60~70% correct however my composite scores are in the low twenties. 45*0.60 is a 27; however my practice composite score says a 21. The first time I took the actual exam, I went back and looked at the percentage correct I had on my last practice test prior and it matched my actual composite score by simple calculation. I know there is a curve and its based on other takers, however am I the only one noticing this? By this reason of thought, one could presumably answer 100% of the questions accurately and receive a score in the 30's....??

No, there's a scale. That your actual mcat matched your percent correct on a practice exam is nothing more than a fluke. The curve for the mcat is significant and varies across sections and even for different versions of the exam. 100% correct should be a 45 every time though.

Thanks for this feedback. About how many hours a day did you study and for how long? What else did you do while you were studying? For example, were you working? Volunteering? Or just studying?

I'm sorry for bumping this, but I need help with my MCAT stuff. I read this thread before preparing for my MCAT the past January. My score improved by 3 points, but from a 25 to a 28, lol.

8VR/12PS/8BS.

I used the Princeton Review online course. It helped me improve my PS score a lot, and VR by 1. But my BS is stuck at 8. But my sister score a 40 on her MCAT (12PS/15VR/13BS). That's right, she got a 15 on verbal!

How can I improve my score? I'm still struggling to improve more!

First off MikeyMCAT, what a great post. As someone mentioned in one of the early replies, it was destined to get buried. I never saw it when it first came out, so I'm glad someone resurrected it.

I personally thought that TBR was the best for Gen. Chem., O. Chem., and Physics. The TBR books have plenty of great practice questions and passages that reinforce the content well. If you are hoping to score in the 12-15 range for PS, I would go with these. Since TBR's prep books are dense and have lots of practice questions, it will take a long time for you to go through each book. But if you have the time, I would strongly recommend getting these books.

Of course, if you are not mastering the material just from reading prep books, I recommend searching through google for extra problem solving help. (For example, electrochem was tricky for me, so I found a great video on electrochem by khanacademy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4L3dDIixSU)

The key, again, is to not be satisfied until you master every concept. Keep attacking passages and keep reviewing your weak areas until you're achieving the scores you want.

I want to steal a part of your quote that is the most important part of anyone and everyone's preparation.

"practice questions and passages that reinforce the content well"​

This is the biggest part of improving. It starts with taking every practice passage seriously and practicing using passages with questions (rather than stand-alone questions). If you take the passage and questions seriously, then you'll get the most out of the answer explanations. Which is a significant part of a student's development. That's where you really gain a good conceptual understanding, as opposed to reading text. Too many people get overconfident because the text is familiar and they think they understand the topic better than they really do. They get hammered on questions and it undermines their confidence. This is the place where mid-20 scores are turned into 30-something scores. The people who grow from going over the answer explanations and the questions see improvement. This is where the materials you are using will make the biggest difference.

If one were to complete skip reading review text and instead did twice as many passages, allowing themselves to learn from the first phase of passages and not feel bad about their scores on the first half, then they'd be better prepared than someone who read all of the text they could find.

The other thing I think gets overlooked in getting fully prepared is how important it is to practice using passages with questions rather than just free-standing questions. Much of the growth comes from learning to extract information from the passage and apply it to questions. There are so many threads giving advice, but many of them distill down to the same basic things:

1) Practice, practice, practice
2) Thoroughly review you answers
3) Use the right materials (the ones that have the best answer explanations)
4) Learn to look at things differently than they were taught in school
5) Know how to apply concepts; don't just know concepts.
6) Learn to think faster and with a multiple-choice mindset.

I'm sorry for bumping this, but I need help with my MCAT stuff. I read this thread before preparing for my MCAT the past January. My score improved by 3 points, but from a 25 to a 28, lol.

8VR/12PS/8BS.

I used the Princeton Review online course. It helped me improve my PS score a lot, and VR by 1. But my BS is stuck at 8. But my sister score a 40 on her MCAT (12PS/15VR/13BS). That's right, she got a 15 on verbal!

How can I improve my score? I'm still struggling to improve more!

Hey superbat-

Congratulations to your sister on her stellar score.

Your PS score is solid so it seems like you have a good grasp of the physics and gen chem concepts. If you're scoring 8's on bio, there's plenty of room for improvement! What resources have you exhausted? Since you have already taken the MCAT, I'm guessing you've finished bio and orgo content review?

The next step, like berkteach says, is to complete as many practice passages as possible! If you're scoring in the 8 range on your practice exams, then you're getting a fair amount of questions wrong. Take note of them! Reviewing practice questions is where the bulk of your learning will take place. What are some of the common topics you're missing questions on? Once you identify these weak areas, refer back to your prep books, the internet, or whatever resources you have, and learn everything you need to know so you'll never get a similar question wrong again.

As for verbal improvements, it comes down to practice as well! Are you running out of time on passages? Missing main ideas? Making assumptions on passages that you shouldn't be making? Missing detail questions?
Use TPRH verbal passages, EK passages, and AAMC passages and get your practice in. Find a nice quiet study spot so that you can prep without distractions, and make sure to time yourself whenever you practice. While you're reviewing, always be asking yourself: why did I get this question wrong? What did I miss? What can I do to ensure I don't make the same mistake in the future?

Good luck! I know it can be discouraging when you don't receive the score you want, but keep your head up. Keep grinding. Keep chasing your dreams.

Mike

If you're scoring in the 8 range on your practice exams, then you're getting a fair amount of questions wrong. Take note of them! Reviewing practice questions is where the bulk of your learning will take place. What are some of the common topics you're missing questions on? Once you identify these weak areas, refer back to your prep books, the internet, or whatever resources you have, and learn everything you need to know so you'll never get a similar question wrong again.Mike

THIS!!! ^

There are many suggested study plans floating around out there, but in one way or another they all boil down to this. You learn more going over problems after you've taken them than anywhere else. That's where you truly learn what you know and what you need to understand better. That's where you learn that you need to look a certain type of question differently. That's where you improve.

No, there's a scale. That your actual mcat matched your percent correct on a practice exam is nothing more than a fluke. The curve for the mcat is significant and varies across sections and even for different versions of the exam. 100% correct should be a 45 every time though.

I actually don't think 100% always leads to a 15 given how many previous MCATs had no 15s given in at least one of their sections. I belive that happens when there are too many perfects.

I actually don't think 100% always leads to a 15 given how many previous MCATs had no 15s given in at least one of their sections. I belive that happens when there are too many perfects.

huh

i had no idea that there have been exams with no 15's. if i had known i wouldn't have studied so hard! can't win, don't try :)

seriously though, that's interesting. do you have documentation of this? not that i don't believe you, generally i default to your expertise, I'm just wondering what other info might be available with that source.

huh

i had no idea that there have been exams with no 15's. if i had known i wouldn't have studied so hard! can't win, don't try :)

seriously though, that's interesting. do you have documentation of this? not that i don't believe you, generally i default to your expertise, I'm just wondering what other info might be available with that source.

AAMC claims that the exam curve is decided before the exams are graded, based only on the complexity of the questions. A more likely explanation for the lack of 15s is that noone in that exam got 100% (or whatever raw score was required for 15).

Hey Mike,

Can you explain how you got a 43, when the AMCAS report says that 0.0% of people obtained that score in 2012 (when you said you took it)?

My source is the following link. https://www.aamc.org/students/download/320554/data/combined12.pdf.pdf

Personally I think you are a self-promoting liar, that knows a little photoshop. You are welcome to prove me wrong

Hey Mike,

Can you explain how you got a 43, when the AMCAS report says that 0.0% of people obtained that score in 2012 (when you said you took it)?

My source is the following link. https://www.aamc.org/students/download/320554/data/combined12.pdf.pdf

Personally I think you are a self-promoting liar, that knows a little photoshop. You are welcome to prove me wrong

Most others think you don't understand statistics. Say 10 people got a 43 in 2012, and say that is 0.004% of test takers -> Reported as 0.0%.

If 60k people sat for the test all year, there could be 24 people who score a certain number and still be reported as 0.0%

Most others think you don't understand statistics. Say 10 people got a 43 in 2012, and say that is 0.004% of test takers -> Reported as 0.0%.

If 60k people sat for the test all year, there could be 24 people who score a certain number and still be reported as 0.0%

I can buy this explanation, and I will admit I did not account for rounding. So he was one of 24 people that dropped a 43? Not impossible, but improbable.

If I am wrong I will eat my hat and apologize.

I can buy this explanation, and I will admit I did not account for rounding. So he was one of 24 people that dropped a 43? Not impossible, but improbable.

If I am wrong I will eat my hat and apologize.

The OP is an internet stranger. I'm not sure what you want as evidence to be convinced (people on SDN even question screenshots). Anyway, if the person didn't get a 43 does that mean the advice is no longer helpful? If you read the advice it's mix of what a lot of high scorers do, you would be wise to consider it. Seriously though, what's the point of actively questioning the score on this thread? The OP got a 43: you are inspired, you read the advice, you take what you want and leave what doesn't apply to you. If you don't believe the OP got a 43 pointing that out will do what, prevent snake oil from being sold? Help all the people who believe to avoid being duped because it's harmful to them? Come on.

The OP is an internet stranger. I'm not sure what you want as evidence to be convinced (people on SDN even question screenshots). Anyway, if the person didn't get a 43 does that mean the advice is no longer helpful? If you read the advice it's mix of what a lot of high scorers do, you would be wise to consider it. Seriously though, what's the point of actively questioning the score on this thread? The OP got a 43: you are inspired, you read the advice, you take what you want and leave what doesn't apply to you. If you don't believe the OP got a 43 pointing that out will do what, prevent snake oil from being sold? Help all the people who believe to avoid being duped because it's harmful to them? Come on.

In essence, yes. Stop the snake oil. If he didn't get a 43, then he is selling false goods. Yes, we know it is important to study to get better grades. You have a thousand methodologies, but when I see advice offered based on results that are a lie, then how can I follow that advice? It is just a cheap imitation of the real thing.

If he really did get a 43, then I am wrong and I am okay with that. I stuck my foot in my mouth, I apologize and move on and everyone gets a laugh at my expense. I am willing to do that on the off chance that someone is lying. I bet if we averaged the reported scores on this site it would be around 35, but the true average is probably way lower. My opinion.

In essence, yes. Stop the snake oil. If he didn't get a 43, then he is selling false goods. Yes, we know it is important to study to get better grades. You have a thousand methodologies, but when I see advice offered based on results that are a lie, then how can I follow that advice? It is just a cheap imitation of the real thing.

If he really did get a 43, then I am wrong and I am okay with that. I stuck my foot in my mouth, I apologize and move on and everyone gets a laugh at my expense. I am willing to do that on the off chance that someone is lying. I bet if we averaged the reported scores on this site it would be around 35, but the true average is probably way lower. My opinion.

I would definitely expect the average of reported (on SDN) MCAT scores to be higher than the true average. For starters, the true average is like a 25-26? And even among accepted students, the ones that are wrapped up enough in the process to post on a forum like this are again a minority. Plus, there's lots of great advice from people like OP or even the guy that got a 32 on SDN.

A 43 is stellar, beyond notable. But remember this type of exercise (taking these big standardized tests) is something that can be improved upon and refined. This was a retake remember. Something like a 43, or to me really 37+ speaks volumes about the person's intellect AND work ethic/efficiency. So don't be so skeptical just because it's a monster score.

I would definitely expect the average of reported (on SDN) MCAT scores to be higher than the true average. For starters, the true average is like a 25-26? And even among accepted students, the ones that are wrapped up enough in the process to post on a forum like this are again a minority. Plus, there's lots of great advice from people like OP or even the guy that got a 32 on SDN.

A 43 is stellar, beyond notable. But remember this type of exercise (taking these big standardized tests) is something that can be improved upon and refined. This was a retake remember. Something like a 43, or to me really 37+ speaks volumes about the person's intellect AND work ethic/efficiency. So don't be so skeptical just because it's a monster score.

Very good points. I will keep it in mind.

Hey guys my name’s Mike and I took the MCAT back in April. I scored a 43 on it, putting me in the 99.9th percentile of test takers. Before I started studying for the MCAT I took a practice test and scored a 26. I spent about 5 months prepping for the test and by the time I went into the testing center I was averaging ~40 on my full-lengths. I read SDN a good amount while I was studying for the exam and benefited from the valuable advice I found on these forums. Now that I’m done with the test, I want to share some tricks I learned along the way while I was preparing.

Have the proper mindset

Realize that the MCAT is an “academic Olympics” that’ll let you show admission committees that you’re intellectually ready for medical school. The preparation process is tiresome and grueling but it helps to remain excited about this opportunity to show med schools that you’re willing to put in the time and effort that it takes to succeed.

This is a little bit cheesy but I watched some YouTube videos for motivation whenever I got discouraged.

Here are some inspiring videos that may give you that extra push whenever you’re feeling unmotivated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEGSiX0JA-s
Don’t let some test prevent you from achieving your dreams. Protect them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ&feature=related
You need to want success as bad as you want to breathe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lPBVoO-4s&feature=related
Part 2 of how bad do you want it.

Give yourself an appropriate amount of time

Now that you’re pumped to ace this thing, make sure you give yourself an adequate amount of time to succeed! You’ve spent hundreds of hours volunteering, studying for prereq’s, doing research, and all these other amazing things to make you a competitive applicant for medical school. Why would you compromise all of that by rushing yourself to take this test?

If you have any gaps in foundational knowledge, take the time to eliminate them. If you have weak areas, keep practicing those areas so you can turn them into strengths! Don’t walk into that test center hoping that you don’t get a question in a subject you’re weak in. Keep practicing and keep reviewing until you feel confident about every topic.

AAMC lists every topic of every section here:
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/

It’s helpful to go through each section and to check off all the topics where you need extra work.

Study Smarter, Not Harder

This blog article from Study Hacks was one of the most helpful articles I’ve ever read. Not only does it help you to succeed with the MCAT but also with any other skill that requires practice.

http://calnewport.com/blog/2010/01/06/the-grandmaster-in-the-corner-office-what-the-study-of-chess-experts-teaches-us-about-building-a-remarkable-life/

If you want a summarized version, it’s this: Becoming exceptional at something requires hours. Lots of them. But time isn’t the only requirement. In order to become truly great at something you also need to spend your time practicing deliberately. This means that all of your preparation time should be geared towards improving performance.

How does that translate to MCAT prep? Well, your objective is to score as many points as possible. How do you do that? By answering questions correctly. So whenever you’re studying, don’t lose sight of the fact that you’re primary objective is to be able to answer those pesky test questions.

I learned early on in my preparation that the absolute best way to practice deliberately was to answer and review practice questions. I know it’s kind of obvious, but you’d be amazed by the amount of people I’ve met who have dedicated the majority of their prep time solely to content review. The key for me was to try to answer as many MCAT questions as possible before I walked into the testing center. Whenever I got a question wrong or if I was unsure about it, I reviewed everything about the question to make sure that I’d never get a similar question like it wrong again. If you just spend your time reading and rereading all those prep books without reinforcing the knowledge with questions, you’ll have trouble making the facts “stick.”

Another benefit of answering plenty of practice questions is that you’ll begin to see patterns in the way questions are asked. For example, for chem topics like making I-C-E tables or electrochem, I had trouble identifying exactly what the questions were asking. I knew all of the formulas and background information from the prep books, but I didn’t know how to apply them. After enough practice, all the application of your knowledge will become second nature.

Take advantage of interactive multimedia

When I started my preparation for the test, I read through the prep books chapter by chapter. I had trouble staying focused while I was reading because the information was just so dense. Each chapter was filled with intense terms and concepts and I found it difficult keeping them all straight in my head.

I realized that by watching videos, I could anchor my knowledge of the terms to the moving shapes and sounds of animations.

For example, I had a lot of trouble memorizing the steps of the immune response because I couldn’t keep all the different cell types straight in my head. There were B cells and cytotoxic T cells and helper T cells and I just couldn’t remember what each cell did or when it contributed to the immune response. I found this animation from McGraw Hill and after that I had no problem remembering the whole process!

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072495855/student_view0/chapter24/animation__the_immune_response.html

After I watched the video a couple of times I was able to “replay” the response in my head. I knew that the T helper cells were the orange blobs that would float over to the antigen presenting cells, then the macrophage and T helper cells would release bright chemicals (Interleukins) to stimulate responses from other T cells and B cells. When I had all these moving pictures in my head, I had no more trouble explaining the processes.

This can be duplicated with so many other topics that are tested in the MCAT. Search google or youtube for helpful videos or animations and I think you’ll have better luck memorizing difficult concepts. Being able to visualize things was a very helpful tactic that I used to succeed on the MCAT.

Recreate test conditions

Make the absolute most out of your study time. Find yourself a quiet place with no distractions. When you’re taking the MCAT you’re not allowed to pause and check your Facebook or text your friends or check your email. When you’re practicing for the test, recreate test conditions and stay away from all those productivity killers.

I know that it can be really difficult to just sit and focus on studying but it all goes back to your mindset! If you can’t focus, find a way to motivate yourself. Remind yourself of your goals and expectations. How bad do you want success?

Don’t trust one prep company

The fact of the matter is this: no prep company is perfect. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Combining materials from more than one company will help ensure that you don’t have any foundational gaps. I’ll write more detailed reviews of the companies in another post.

-------

Anyway that’s all I have for now. I can answer any specific questions about my prep and I’d be happy to answer questions related to the contents of the test as well.

Again I want to say thanks to the SDN community for helping me to achieve my goal of crushing this test.

thank you for posting this! grandmaster/DP was also a great read .... a little worried that you and others have rated kaplan so low (comparatively) since i am enrolled in a kaplan course and have been using their methods/study materials... :confused:

You mentioned a lot of the things that I learned during my MCAT nemesis. Good advice and good job. Have fun with the Ivy.